Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ? >

want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ?

Notices

want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ?

Old 07-25-2002, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ?

I have plans to build a custom Kenworth motor coach to tow my boat with and use as a camper .I was surfing for Ideas and found this for sale in the trader on line . Notice the upper deck ! And the aft cabin ! Pretty slick !
Attached Thumbnails want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ?-international-motor-coach.jpg  
Old 07-25-2002, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

boot,
don't waste your money, I'm sure I have an old kenworth sleeper like that laying around and I'm sure you can find an old bus. I'll come out and we'll have the thing together in no time at all. As a matter of fact, let's use that 427 alcohol motor of your buddies.
Shane
Old 07-25-2002, 02:20 PM
290PQ

Hey, Boot are you serious about the motorchoach idea?
I have a 93' 377 Peterbuilt that I thought would make a great "ToterHome". If you are maybe we can share some ideas? I have been researching this myself, there are several companys in IN. that do these conversions.
Also how far are you from the Philly area ? The boys and I will be there in August for the X-Games.

By the way great picture that's exactly the way I don't want mine to look!!!

See ya

Old 07-25-2002, 04:54 PM
Registered

Yeah Mika, I found an old 62 kenworth from the road department with 2.5 million miles on it for $100 and I'm thinin about buyin one them big tool sheds from home depot to put on the back ! Just gonna stretch it alittle . I got some big boat hatches off an old 68 chris craft I'm gonna use for windows ! Maybe we could stick your sleeper on the back of the shed so I don't have to stretch the shed !

290PQ , Yes I am serious .It's alittle more to get around with but beats staying in hotels or in the boat at the marina . I am looking for the right deal on a mid to late 90's T600 Kenworth with high way gears and air ride . Probably have to go with a 430 or 470 Detroit motor to get the milage .Would rather have the cat . But Want to try to get SOME fuel milage . I basicly have it all figured out . What body to use , how to mount it , how to match it to the cab , etc. This is going to be a low budget prodject but you'll never know it when you see it . I have tons of links to motor coach places ,totor builders ,etc . with pictures and layouts . E-mail me and i'll pass them on to ya .
We had Monaco Motor coach do a Chevy Kodiak for us several years ago for pulling a 40' horse trailer .Just added a huge sleeper with all the good stuff .It was cool but their mounts kept braking and the sleeper kept falling to the frame . They painted it 4 times and still didn't match .(Burgandy). Send me an e-mail ,we'll swap ideas . I'm about 45 minute to an hour from philly . When will you be there . If my boats done in time I could bring it down and we'll go out for a ride .

You know whats wrong with that picture ..........
It's too many windows ! Makes it look like a bus ! All you have to do is take out 3 windows in the middle on each side and cover them with a peice of pollished stainless steel . Thats the only difference !! I was wondering if you drive it from up top or down below ......... LAter ,JOE [email protected]
Old 07-25-2002, 05:45 PM
Registered

Joe,
I've also thought this would be the way to go but I really need to find a boat first! There is a guy up the street from me who converts class 8 truck to motorhomes/pullers for race cars. He also builds really sweet single and two place(hydralic over under type) race car trailers. I'll post some pictures for you. I'd stick with the detroit idea. They seem to be as reliable as stone and as you said much better mileage. We use strictly cummins here but I were tossing around the detroit thing.(much better warrantee/service) We just put another $2000 ECM on a cummins this week. That's a serious bite in the ass for a truck thats only worth $15k.
Are you thinking 5th wheel or standard ball type?
Old 07-26-2002, 12:12 AM
Registered

Not sure yet .It will definatly have a heavy duty tag along hitch .Not sure on the 5th wheel or gooseneck yet .I wanted a full camper look but maynot be a bad idea to have i tiny flat bed area behind,I could put some kind of scooter on the back . The other bad thing is I want an 18 speed .I like to shift ! But to make it user friendly for my girl friend, mother ,and brother to use ,I will probably find a 10 speed auto shift .If I can find one . Might have to do a transplant ! I don't know ...... YOu think with the detroit , around a 3.25-3.50 gear , low profile tires and deep ground affects I could break 10mpg ?
I'll have to get my Western Diesel guys working on this one ! See if they can up this ones milage like they do the pickups !
Old 07-26-2002, 03:37 AM
Registered

18 speed ? You must like to shift. If I remember right the 18's are the same as the 13's except for the back box which is easy to change. The auto would be nice but big $$$ and I'm not sure how they hold up. I guess you wouldn't be pulling any weight so the thing would probably last forever. Mileage, I'm not sure about that either considering the weight issue again. I'll ask the guy who build the racecar haulers. His current rig is a Pete with a 400 cat and a 13 speed and he's pulling one of those two car trailers that weigh's approximatly 10000#(About the same as your cat?)
Here is a picture of a cool set up I ran across at a vintage car race at Elkhart Lake Wisconsin. FIfth wheel and living quarters the best of both worlds

Last edited by mika; 07-26-2002 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2002, 03:39 AM
Registered

sorry about the photo size I haven't quite figured out the scanner yet
Old 07-26-2002, 07:46 AM
290PQ

Boot, I would bet with the right set up you could get 9-10 mpg. We have 7 trucks, 5 of them 770 volvos with 430/470 Detroits and 13spds These trucks average 6.5mpg but thats grossed out at 80,000 most of the time. The old Pete I'm thinking of doing this with is only a 350 Cat with a 9spd with around a million miles, it still gets about 5.5 mpg. It's ready to retire although it's on the road everyday 2000- 2500 per week. It has been very well maintained so I'm not to worried about the 5000- 7000 I would put on it a year.
I agree with Mika you must like to shift!! you don't need a 18spd. In my opinion a 13spd is probably the best trans out there. No experience with the auto's, but yes very expensive!!
I like the idea of something overbuilt so many of these motorhomes are so underbuilt and under powered! A class 8 truck converted would be the cats a$$!!!
I'll send you a e-mail with my number, give me a call when yoou get a chance.

BTW will be in philly aug. 15 -18 would love to go for a ride in that BIG CAT!!!

Rob

Old 07-26-2002, 01:51 PM
Registered

I'll get this photo thing right yet
Attached Thumbnails want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ?-cool-hauler-new.jpg  

Quick Reply: want a custom motorcoach to tow the boat with ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.