Please Help Me Diagnose This Noise >

Please Help Me Diagnose This Noise

Notices

Please Help Me Diagnose This Noise

Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help Me Diagnose This Noise

Hi everyone, So I just put in a new gimbal bearing and now when I turn the wheel all the way to the left or right I get this knocking noise. If I move the trim up or down I can get it to go louder or softer. It will only do it at full lock though, it will not do it any other time. If I back the wheel off a tad then it stops. It never did this before I changed the bearing. After I put the bearing in I check the alignment and that was good. When I first pulled the drive off to do the bearing I did check the ujoints real quick and nothing seemed horrible wrong like if they were binding( I wanted to do a more thought check before I put the drive back on but completely forgot). So does this sound like a bad ujoint? In the video below you will probably hear a bearing growling, that's the water pump (my next project lol). Thanks for the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJnW0lFnS8o&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by jbizub5192; 06-10-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Prob a u joint.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:54 PM
Registered

Thats what I was thinking. Now what type of ujoint goes into the 94 alpha gen 2? This is the beginning of my serial# 0F24. Im getting so confused about the different ujoints. It seems like every site I go on is saying something different. Im almost positive that the ujoints that are on the boat now are the non grease-able ones. However when I go on the parts look up it shows that the non grease-able ones are for drive 97 ish and newer.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What issues were you having that made you change the gimbal? It could be that the gimbal was so warn that the new one is keeping your input shaft more aligned which makes your u joints turn more to a point you here them rubbing???
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Registered

My old gimbal bearing was a real cheep bearing I got off of ebay (i wasn't planning on keeping the boat,but now decided too) The bearing was fine but I wanted to replace it with a well known brand to avoid any trouble on the water down the road.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:34 PM
Registered

part number 805536a 2 should be the one you need
Old 06-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Registered

So just for the hell of it I went on mercruiser parts look up (I completely forgot about that site) anyways it said this was the part # 75832A 3 i need. Now Im really confused. The part number you gave is the permalube sealed ujoints correct?