Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Factory class raceboats, one off "specials" or stockers? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29814-factory-class-raceboats-one-off-specials-stockers.html)

blackhawk 07-29-2002 11:05 PM

If they can't run ballast tanks how do they put weight in the bow?

pullmytrigger 07-29-2002 11:42 PM

How does the min wieght work? Is it a blanket wieght for the whole class or is it factored by length of the boat, does it include the drivers??.......that could be scary.

Flashwave 07-30-2002 12:32 AM

TWINN29

APBA chooses to factor boat length and weight. Here an example of Factory 1.

Length......Weight w/ HP 500...............Weight w/ HP500
...................Carburated..................... ....EFI (Injected)

24'..................4100#........................ ........4350#
25'..................4225#........................ ........4475#
26'..................4350#........................ ........4600#
27'..................4475#........................ ........4725#
28'..................4600#........................ ........4850#
29'..................4725#........................ ........4975#

There is a group that believes that all boats should weigh the same because we all run the same horsepower (smaller boats coming up to the larger boat weight). Another group believes there is an advantage to larger boats in rough water so they should weigh more (APBA-Offshore). I don't know who is right or wrong, but there is some very close racing using the APBA-Offshore approach. Driver weight, and safty equipment is not included in this weight. It pays to be a smaller.

Treadwellmotorsports 07-30-2002 01:29 PM

GUY'S,

LIKE I SAID TO YOU BEFORE IN MY EARLIER POST. THESE ARE THE SAME BOATS YOU CAN BUY OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOR. THE ONLY THING MISSING IS A CABIN. SOME BOATS DO HAVE A CABIN FOR EXAMPLE THE HUSTLER. THE REASON OTHER MANUFACTURES TOOK THE CABINS OUT WAS TO REDUCE WEIGHT AND GAIN SPEED. THAT'S HOW THE POKER RUN EDITIONS CAME ABOUT. EVERTHING A STOCK BOAT IS EXEPT NO CABIN.

AND THERE ARE NO MODIFICATIONS MADE TO THE BOAT. WE ARE NOT ALLOWED. AS THE OTHERS STATED, SEALED MOTORS THAT WE CANNOT WORK ON, STOCK BRVO DRIVES AND TRANSONASSEMBLYS. X DIMENSION IS NOT ALLOWED PAST 18 1/2 INCHES WICH IS MERCUREY SPECS. AND WE ARE ONLY ALLOWED TO RUN BRAVO PROPS OR HYDRAMOTIVE. THEY ARE ALLOWED TO BE BLUEPRINTED BUT MUST REMAIN TO A CERTAIN SPEC AS TO KEEP THE BLADES FROM GETTING TO THIN.

THESE ARE THE SAME BOATS YOU GET OFF THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. THEY ARE PKER RUN SPECIAL EDITION BOATS.

AS TO THE LAYUP OF THE BOAT IT CAN ONLY GET SO FANCY. IT MUST BE REGULAR FIBERGLASS NOTHING ELSE. THEY ARE JUST STRENGHTING UP PARTS OF THE BOAT THAT ARE WEEKER.

TREADWELL

Treadwellmotorsports 07-30-2002 01:33 PM

AS TO THE BALLAST. THERE ARE NO WATER BALLAST TANKS IN THE BOATS. THEY ARE ILLEGAL. IF WE HAVE A ROUGH RACE SOME GUY'S MAY AD SAND BAGS TO THE BOW. THESE SAND BAGS HOWEVER DO NOT COUNT AS WEIGHT. YOUR BOAT MUST WEIGH THE PROPER WEIGHT BEFORE YOU PUT THE SAND BAGS IN.

TREADWELL

Lee 07-30-2002 01:49 PM

The only thing in commom with my Factory I boat and one on the showroom floor was they both used the same mold, Other than that they have nothing in common.

BTJ88 07-30-2002 05:13 PM

What Lee said. They are derived from the same mold and go by the same make/model name. :rolleyes:

Although you could go buy a stock boat from the showroom floor and do a bunch of things to it and go race in Factory class, but you would be better off ordering the boat as a race boat and have it come to you almost ready to race.

Is there anybody out there who bought there "Factory" boat off the showroom floor?

DanB 07-30-2002 06:50 PM

Unless something has changed, when I bought my Warlock new in 98 the only thing different between mine and a race boat were additional stringers and bulkheads. The cabin was left out, the engine hatch was different, no back seat, it had a set of throttles and tab switches built in the port side seat pedestal, and high back bucket seats. The bottoms were the same, which I'm told several racers have spent lots of hours on there own tweeking and massaging.
These were the major differences that I can remember, at least thats what I was told at the time. When I talked with Lance or Carter they said the differences would cost about $3500, and at the time I didnt feel it was necessary, nor do I do now. The stock boat is built to take all I want to give it!
I'd be interested to hear from some of the race teams of any other differences I may have missed.
All the boats are built at the Warlock factory (werever that may be) :rolleyes:
Dan

h2owarrior 07-30-2002 09:16 PM

Like I said in my post, I am not involved in racing so my comments were uneducated. I find this topic very intersting as at some point would like to race and this class would be my only opportunity.

What I find most interesting is the comments by Treadwell and Lee. Which is it ? Its hard to believe that the boats raced are the same as those you buy for pleasure. The speeds of the race boats are soooooo much higher, its hard to believe they are the same.

I am not saying its bad. Its just that people who might be interested need to go into this with their eyes wide open as the the additional costs to prepare a boat to race, beyond controls and safety, to make it competitive.

Treadwellmotorsports 07-30-2002 10:35 PM

H20,

I DON'T KNOW WHAT LEE IS TALKING ABOUT BUT THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF BOATS. YOU HAVE YOUR FULL PLEASURE VERSION WICH WILL ALWAYS BE SLOWER JUST BECAUSE OF WEIGHT UNLESS YOU BUY AN OUTERLIMITS OR A HUSTLER. THE BOATS WE RACE ARE CALLED POKER RUN SPECIAL EDITIONS. YOU CAN ORDER ONE FROM ANY FACTORY AND BE COMPETIVE. YOU JUST HAVE TO CHOOSE WHAT ONE.

LET'S TAKE A FORMULA FOR EXAMPLE. THE BOAT IS MISSING THE CABIN. OTHER THEN THAT AND A SET OF RACING BOLSTERS IT IS THE SAME AS THE BOAT YOU GET ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. THEY ARE ALL THE SAME. LETS TAKE THE NEW DONZI. HOW YOU SEE IT AT THE RACES IS HOW YOU BUY IT ON THE SHOROOM FLOOR. LETS TAKE THE NEW OUTERLIMITS 42 GTX. HOW YOU SEE IT IN THE WATER IS HOW YOU BUY IT ON THE SHOWROOM FLOOR. ALL F2 BOATS ARE RUNNING ABOUT 90 MPH WITH THE EXEPTION OF THE FOUNTAIN A LITTLE FASTER. DON'T BELIEVE WHAT EVERBODY ELSE SAY'S. THE BEST I EVER GOT OUT OF MY FORMULA ON THE PERFECT DAY WAS 91. LOOK AT THE KILO RECORD. IT'S 90 AND CHANGE.

IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT GETTING ONE LET ME KNOW AND I CAN GUIDE YOU IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE FACTORY BOATS OUT THERE.

TREADWELL