Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
I was attacked by a swarm of Sunsations! >

I was attacked by a swarm of Sunsations!

Notices

I was attacked by a swarm of Sunsations!

Old 07-29-2002, 02:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I was attacked by a swarm of Sunsations!

I was out crusing with my family on Saturday Morning about 10:30 AM and I was just approaching Gull Island from the south channel when all at once I was surrounded by a bunch of angry buzzing Sunsations! After the first wave buzzed by me all I could see were spinning props and keels! Lucky for me none of them took any interest in my poor little Powerquest. At the end of the attack were a few other tag alongs. There was one that was really big but I was so dizzy from the attack I could not make it out. I thought about hooking up for a while but My wife and two childern were not into it, The dog was not so happy either!

One other thing, I was running near St Clair in the river and I crossed paths with a Canopied V, P-3 #29. He must of been practicing or something. He turned and came back by me again. This Time I put the hammer down. I was nearing 80 and was maybe starting to gain a little and I had to pull back, Kids and wife were screaming at me.......you know how it goes. But it was a rush, hearing thoes open pipes.

Last edited by Raypanic; 07-29-2002 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Registered

Ray,

You should have kept the hammer down - oh, what was that dear? You were screaming for me to slow down?? I thought you were cheering me on!

"The Wife" - most effective speed governor ever invented!
Old 07-29-2002, 03:02 PM
Bayley

Son of a *****... I saw you!!! I believe you were down bound about half way through the South Channel right next to Harsen's Island.

I thought to myself: "Hey, that looks like the guy from OSO with the Tyler 502 mag Whipple motors." I've been to your website a few times, so I recognized the boat. I don't blame you for not wanting to run (per wife and children). My own father was starting to look a little white after the first fifteen minutes. We were typically cruising between 60 and 70 mph through the channel's with short trips into the mid / upper 80's. It was a blast!

There was one 30 something Phantom that was running in the front of the pack with us. Not sure if he was a support boat, or a friend of the Brother's. Regardless, he turned around as soon as we passed Deckers Landing. There is a rather humorous Helicopter shot of what looks like the Sherrif boat having the Phantom turn around and go the opposite way of the pack near Deckers.

I believe the big boat you saw at the end of the pack was the 42 Outerlimits that was serving as a support boat. Triple 575's, very slick ride. Also, there was a 43 Black Thunder that was serving as support as well.

-Bayley

Old 07-29-2002, 03:18 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Yeh, that was me, There was a big crusier and a fishing boat right in the middle of the pack going the opposite way. Glad I was on the far right. With the crusier, fishing boat, helocopter and all you guys buzzing by is was quite exciting to say the least, My camera was down below or I wouold of had some picts.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Phantom

here is the Scoop on the 34 Phantom. It was me. I was playing with Joe in the poker run america boat. I turn around at deckers because the sheriff's boat was my Cpl wanting to make sure i would be to work on time. Glad you had a laugh on me. I miss running with the Sunsation gang as I sold mine (1 of 3) 3 years ago and Just put the Phantom in the water Saturday Morning for it's madien voyage. Run's 88 on the speedo at 4800 rpms. Have another set of props coming to get the rpm's up to the rev limiter's should give me about 5 more miles per hours.
Old 07-29-2002, 07:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

P3-29 is the Traffic Light boat. It is owned by Ed Smith who also owns Riversbend Marina in St Clair. See ya on the water.

Gus
Old 07-29-2002, 08:32 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I am planning on being at the race next sunday, Should be fun, Anyone know where the spectator fleet is on the river or is it not allowed? I did not see anything on the GLSCS Website.
Old 07-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Registered

Default The race Sunday

It will be marked off by the coast guard and St. Clair County Sheriff's boats as to where you can anchor your boat. Look for me I will be in the Phantom

Last edited by Gary864; 07-29-2002 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:26 AM
Bayley

I figured anyone who had the nuts to run right smack dab in the middle of an owners Rally, had to have had some sort of previous contact. I believe I was running next to you for almost the entire first leg from Gull to Algonac. Here is a picture of the first stop at Algonac.

-Bayley
Attached Thumbnails I was attacked by a swarm of Sunsations!-frontofpack.jpg  

Old 07-30-2002, 04:02 PM
Registered

Default Thanks Bayley

I was at your website last night and printed a copy for the Family to see