Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
triple vs twin on gas consumption ? >

triple vs twin on gas consumption ?

Notices

triple vs twin on gas consumption ?

Old 06-15-2013, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

I was going from the KISS approach in that you still have to feed a third motor but recognizing you are no longer running at the same RPM for a given MPH (not complicating the issue with the difference in prop pitch) from twins to trips.. As you gave the mathematics in detail - your efficiency and therefor fuel demand is not the same between twins & trips......That's a he11 of an exact answer ArticFriends - TY!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
I was going from the KISS approach in that you still have to feed a third motor but recognizing you are no longer running at the same RPM for a given MPH (not complicating the issue with the difference in prop pitch) from twins to trips.. As you gave the mathematics in detail - your efficiency and therefor fuel demand is not the same between twins & trips......That's a he11 of an exact answer ArticFriends - TY!
I will add this too though, at wot the fuel use IS going to be 50% more SORTA because once a motor is at wot it will be at same rpm and map if propped right twin or trip, the only thing that still would make it slightly less than 50% extra would be IF you were going from point a to b at WOT with trips you would have higher mph so using the 100gph analogy if it took you 55 minutes vs a hr to cover the same ground at wot at 300 gph vs 200 it would be slightly less than 300 as you only took you 55 minutes vs a hr but that would be splitting hairs, you would definitely see the gas gauge going down much faster!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 793 Likes on 448 Posts

but then again, you can't really put a value of the cool factor of trip's if you can afford them - LOL
Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by speicher lane
but then again, you can't really put a value of the cool factor of trip's if you can afford them - LOL
To me it would be a giant PIA unless I was driving back and forth to Bermuda or Bahamas or something!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
To me it would be a giant PIA unless I was driving back and forth to Bermuda or Bahamas or something!
+1..... Also consider some triple engine boats won't plane on two if loaded/full of fuel!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not recommend a triple unless you boat in the ocean or great lakes where u can get in trouble if one quits and boat wont plane on two. I have owned 2 so speaking from experience, yes they burn way more than twins boats are very heavy also? They are very difficult to sell. Triples do have their place, really depends on where u boat

Last edited by Trumascape; 06-16-2013 at 05:31 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

As an actual triple owner with experience, It is NOT just simple fuel consumption that you have to look t between the twin and triple. First you have to compare the engines. Example, ours had 496 HO's, the comparable engine in the speed in a twin would be 575's. That being said, the 575's will use substantially more fuel than the 496 HO at both cruise or WOT. But the real savings in the triple configuration is over all wear and maintenance. In the triple, you are using smaller power to achieve the same speed as in a twin. Thus less breakage in wear items, especially in drive wear. Oil changes and general maintenance are a few dollars more per year, but that is minor for what you will save in costs when dealing with your complete drive line.

One constant I have learned though in the last number of years, all the experts of why not to have a triple have came from those that have never had them.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:55 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I would NEVER EVER buy a boat with triples.

Insurance, no- resale, usually they are XR boats, get twin with 6's any day. You get 10% more performance for 50% more expenses. There is a reason why they are cheap. Remember you only know how much something costs once you resale it.

Last edited by GLH; 06-17-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GLH
I would NEVER EVER buy a boat with triples.

Insurance, no- resale, usually they are XR boats, get twin with 6's any day. You get 10% more performance for 50% more expenses. There is a reason why they are cheap. Remember you only know how much something costs once you resale it.
Which triple Boats have You owned?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by bajaholic
As an actual triple owner with experience, It is NOT just simple fuel consumption that you have to look t between the twin and triple. First you have to compare the engines. Example, ours had 496 HO's, the comparable engine in the speed in a twin would be 575's. That being said, the 575's will use substantially more fuel than the 496 HO at both cruise or WOT. But the real savings in the triple configuration is over all wear and maintenance. In the triple, you are using smaller power to achieve the same speed as in a twin. Thus less breakage in wear items, especially in drive wear. Oil changes and general maintenance are a few dollars more per year, but that is minor for what you will save in costs when dealing with your complete drive line.

One constant I have learned though in the last number of years, all the experts of why not to have a triple have came from those that have never had them.
+1

Everybody who HAS OWNED them, seems to make the same claims. I'm not the least bit scared of trips...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.