Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Where is the leak?? (Drive Fluid) >

Where is the leak?? (Drive Fluid)

Notices

Where is the leak?? (Drive Fluid)

Old 06-15-2013, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where is the leak?? (Drive Fluid)

Hello forum,

I have been doing a lot of reading and research on this leak that does not seem to want to go away. I have a 99 Sonic Prowler with a 502, and Bravo XR to start with, and have had a problem pin pointing this leak. I have had the drive shaft seal replaced, the plastic fitting that runs from the bottom of the bottle to the plastic line that runs threw the transom, and last thing I did was the bottle its self. After hoping the seal was the problem and it wasn't, and then the same with the bottle I am stumped. I have drive fluid/gear oil in my bilge. It is leaking out only into the bilge and no wheres outside the boat. The only thing I have not done yet and will be doing possibly next is that plastic fitting that runs threw the transom plate. I don't visit the boat every day, however i had filled the tank half way on wednesday and by saturday it was all leaked out and empty. It is hard to say how long it is actually taking to completely leak till the bottle is dry. Also there is fluid on top of the exhaust housing below the drive shaft.

Any help or words of advise would be great!

Thanks in advanced!

Brian
Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe the hose from the reservoir to the transom has a pin hole (or gapping hole from what you describe ) if the oil isn't running down the transom plate on the inside, or filled the bottom of the actual "cutout" then I think the fitting going into the transom assy is fine, I guess Look straight up from where you see drips, if that is impeded by something, follow that something too.. Good luck
Old 06-15-2013, 08:43 PM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B18cjdm gsr
Hello forum,

I have been doing a lot of reading and research on this leak that does not seem to want to go away. I have a 99 Sonic Prowler with a 502, and Bravo XR to start with, and have had a problem pin pointing this leak. I have had the drive shaft seal replaced, the plastic fitting that runs from the bottom of the bottle to the plastic line that runs threw the transom, and last thing I did was the bottle its self. After hoping the seal was the problem and it wasn't, and then the same with the bottle I am stumped. I have drive fluid/gear oil in my bilge. It is leaking out only into the bilge and no wheres outside the boat. The only thing I have not done yet and will be doing possibly next is that plastic fitting that runs threw the transom plate. I don't visit the boat every day, however i had filled the tank half way on wednesday and by saturday it was all leaked out and empty. It is hard to say how long it is actually taking to completely leak till the bottle is dry. Also there is fluid on top of the exhaust housing below the drive shaft.

Any help or words of advise would be great!

Thanks in advanced!

Brian
I had the same problem after installing a new coupler. It was that plastic fitting that goes to the transom plate. PIA to install, but inexpensive part.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Registered

you can allways Pressure test it and watch for the leak. Is the input shaft worn? cause the new seal will not stop the leak if it is. try cleaning everything up and screw your reservoir cap on loose and take it for a ride if no leak it is the input shaft seal. It is common for them to push out when the oil gets hot and the reservoir will not vent, even when you replace it.
I find nine times out of ten this stops with a drive shower and run the reservoir oil just below recomended level never overfill.

Last edited by pi75; 06-15-2013 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Registered

Check and make sure your gaskets are still in the caps of the bottles. I had lost one somehow and gear oil was everywhere!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies, it leaks when then the boat is cold and not even running. Like I said I had filled the bottle half way Wednesday when I put the new bottle on and then the boat sat for 3 days until I looked again (did not drive or start the boat) and it was all leaked out again.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pi75
you can allways Pressure test it and watch for the leak. Is the input shaft worn? cause the new seal will not stop the leak if it is. try cleaning everything up and screw your reservoir cap on loose and take it for a ride if no leak it is the input shaft seal. It is common for them to push out when the oil gets hot and the reservoir will not vent, even when you replace it.
I find nine times out of ten this stops with a drive shower and run the reservoir oil just below recomended level never overfill.
I have a drive shower already installed as well..
Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 PM
Registered

oops didn't read that part. well than pull it out of the water and pressure test it. it can still be the input shaft seal
Old 06-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by pi75
oops didn't read that part. well than pull it out of the water and pressure test it. it can still be the input shaft seal
Pull the drive and check the bellows
Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Registered

we had a simular problem with a leak we could not pin point. First i went through and wiped bottom of motor, hoses, pumps and everything clean. Then I draped a few white towels under the areas that could possibly leak . I suspended the towels under the engine without touching the engine or bottom of bilge. Found my first drip then traced it back from there. Hope this helps, Jaime

Last edited by JAIME; 06-16-2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: add

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.