Notices

Donzi 38 ZX Daytona

Old 08-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: getting use to the backing. Trim drives until just past 9 and bump in and out of forward.
Dropped down to 31 lab B1 props. 1/2 fuel on mid 80 day had 81 on GPS. Speedo was around 84. 5200 rpm
This is a Daytona edition with stock 575 sci's, stellings boxes, gen, ac, hot water, etc, etc. Not bad for a big v bottom.
Old 08-12-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The biggest problem with props spinning IN is that they are doing the opposite of what most people are used to. When you back away from a dock with props spinning out you use the drive closest to the dock to get away from it because it pulls the stern of the boat away from the dock. If they are spinning IN you need to use the drive farthest away from the dock to pull the boat away from the dock. I can walk my boat almost sideways in reverse using the outside drive to back away from a dock. The biggest problem with trying to spin a boat with props spinning in is that the fwd prop is pushing forward in one direction and the rev prop is pulling back ward in the same direction so they don't counter act each other as well as props spinning out. I've found that it is easier to use one drive in reverse with a spin of the wheel then neutral and use the other drive in forward with a spin of the wheel in the opposite direction will get the job done faster.

All boats are a little different just my 2 cents.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had another close call this past weekend withe props in and wind pushing my bow into the docks. I was all the down along a stretch of docks with pontoon outboards sticking straight out. I probably only had a few feet clearance to get away from the dock. I had a buddy push my nose out so I could get the boat pointed out before I would take of but the wind had other plans for me. It was kind of ugly and darn near took out a bunch of boats but once it was going straight they stay on path. But there's just no spinning those boats in place with a stiff wind it was way to tight. The night before is was super calm. I've had mine for 5 months and I've gotten use to docking it somewhat but not when it's windy.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

Is it really worth spinning in to lose all the ability docking? I know we are all after every last mph but there has to be a trade off one would think.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by SimonS32
The biggest problem with props spinning IN is that they are doing the opposite of what most people are used to. When you back away from a dock with props spinning out you use the drive closest to the dock to get away from it because it pulls the stern of the boat away from the dock. If they are spinning IN you need to use the drive farthest away from the dock to pull the boat away from the dock. I can walk my boat almost sideways in reverse using the outside drive to back away from a dock. The biggest problem with trying to spin a boat with props spinning in is that the fwd prop is pushing forward in one direction and the rev prop is pulling back ward in the same direction so they don't counter act each other as well as props spinning out.
The blow boat guys are familiar with "prop walk". I'm going to guess that is what you are fighting in this configuration. Even if the prop is in reverse, it "walks" and moves the stern sideways instead of back. If the props are spinning in at the top, then the prop walk could be doing exactly the opposite of what the asymmetric thrust is trying to do.
Old 08-12-2014, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct Pilotpete. When you have a twin engine boat in a normal configuration with props out the prop walk works in your favor. Not so much with the props spinning in! Once you change your thinking on how you dock your boat you will be surprised at what you can do. It's a real ***** but if you change your thinking and re teach your self it's not so bad.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Registered

Question ? 38 ZX
why do the drives/props spin out wards ? would the props not be catching water from the other ?
would it not be safe to say the props should be rotating inwards ? grabbing clean water and giving the boat better performance ?
just wondering as we have looked at this many times.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The props do not affect each other, the rotation creates lift. Inward rotation creates bow lift, outward rotation creates stern lift. Every boat is different in the way they react to rotation and if it improves or degrades handling and performance. Typically inward rotation makes the boat more difficult to handle around the docks and can be more dangerous in turns. As the boat leans into a turn with inward rotation the prop inside the turn pulls the boat further down and in the wrong hands can result in a roll. With outward rotation in a turn the inner prop tries to lift the boat resulting in less lean and safer operation.

Best thing is to try changing from what you have and see if you get any speed or handling improvements. My boat gets better MPG spinning in and the handling is still fine for me so I left them spinning in. No improvement in top speed in my case though.