Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Too Old, you're sending out the Klez virus (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/29825-too-old-youre-sending-out-klez-virus.html)

DanL 07-29-2002 09:23 PM

Too Old, you're sending out the Klez virus

I just got the Klez sent to me by your computer. Check yourself into a clinic. Norton or McAfee. It was from Fred Cecil, and then again from FrCecil.

DJD 07-29-2002 11:00 PM

Hey Dan
What did his e-mail say?
I received an e-mail last week from him & it seemed legit. He asked me a question about my Cigarette:
I've never had to go to the "clinic" before so I don't know what they look like. Does it hurt when I pee:confused:

Consintracy 07-29-2002 11:08 PM

Did the e-mail say something like this...

http://www.y2khai.com/khai03.html

MitchStellin 07-29-2002 11:13 PM

I had that also. Took weeks of screwing around until I asked the same ? on the board. Finally got the right answer here and now it is fixed.:D A real pain though, it really slowed me down sending out all those E-Mails.:mad: I don't know where I got it from so I am not blaming anyone here. :rolleyes:

Cord 07-30-2002 12:33 AM

I like the avitar Fred!:cool:

DanL 07-30-2002 11:10 AM

it said in the subject field "from FrCecil, hi, you should look at this" there was no subject and it included an attachment. The Klex H has over 60 different greetings that it attaches randomly. It raids the temp internet files, my documents and the email program from the saved addresses to any emails sent or received. The key is the file attachment. Thats the first indicator. Don't open it. Hey, Consintracy, what the heck is that?

Laveyman 07-30-2002 01:46 PM

Anyone tried this to block viruses???

This was in supposedly in an issue of "P C World" magazine. It does work!

As you may know, when/if a worm virus gets into your computer it
heads straight for your email address book and sends itself to everyone in there, thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your address book to spread further, and it will alert you to the fact that the worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do:

First: Open your address book and click on "new contact" or "new
person" just as you would do if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.

Second: In the window where you would type your friend's FIRST
name, type in !000 (that's an exclamation mark followed by 3 zeros). In the window below where it prompts you to enter the new email address, type in WormAlert.

Third: Then complete everything by clicking add, enter, OK, etc.

Now, here's what you've done and why it works:
The "name" !000 will be placed at the top of your address book as
entry #1. This will be where the worm will start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it tries to send itself to !000, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email address you entered (WormAlert). If the first attempt fails (which it will
because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and your friends will not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method:
If an email cannot be delivered, you will be notified of this in your InBox almost immediately. Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to WormAlert could not be delivered, you know right away that you have the worm virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it.

I did this to my email and also use Norton Antivirus with regular updates, and so, knock on wood, no problems!!! Give it a try! What can it hurt??? :cool:

Cord 12-04-2002 05:15 PM

I have a worm virus on my computer at work. I just tried the technique recommended by Lavyman and it does work. Now I just have to get rid of the virus. :(

eMotiondriver 12-04-2002 05:57 PM

It blew me away. I thought DanL was online with Don A. and Gods computer crashed.

But knowing Dan he found a way to get back online...

McGary911 12-04-2002 06:08 PM

I just did a triple take on this thread too. I'm hoping the board gods have disabled or "retired" the DanL username, so some new user doesn't inadvertantly pick that one without knowing the history.