Notices

21 Challenger People

Old 07-30-2002, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts
Default 21 Challenger People

Has anyone heard of a Hammond V2105 Challenger? I saw one advertised but have not heard of a boat manufacturer by the name of Hammond.
Old 08-03-2002, 12:03 AM
More Throttle

Yes, I've heard of these but don't know too much about them. The ones I've seen for sale have been from the early '80's.

I think they were the forerunner for the 21' Stryker that was around in the late '80's/early 90's. The Strykers ran pretty well even with mild power; I know of one powered by a 7.4L that hit around 70mph. We used to do a lot of boating in Upstate NY and there were quite a few of them. If the Stryker is related to the Hammond, the Hammond should be a good running boat, even with a small-block engine.

Old 08-03-2002, 07:14 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no idea what a Stryker is......but a Hammond Challenger is a George Linder designed 21 footer taken directly from the 21 Challenger/Shadow...... George and I raced Glastrons years ago..........and that started a relationship with Bob Hammond....the founder of Glastron....it also started a relationship with Ernie Schmidt.......also ex Glastron...who became the VP of Chris Craft during the Chris Cat era...... ......

T2x
Old 08-03-2002, 09:50 PM
Charter Member #415
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We sold Hammond from their start in 76 till Bob retired in 83. Around 1979 Bob contracted with George for a plug of the running surface of the 21 Challenger. It was on a truck with a load of boats delivered to us. It was only the bottom, Bob did his own sides and deck. Bob did it the honorable way, he paid George,no popping.Nearly 25 years later,still the best running 21 vee hull ever produced. I've lost count of the companies that have popped this hull. Around 1983 Bob got burned out with building boats,sold all his molds and rights to the Hammond name to Renken,who found out quickly that as a builder of cheap boats they couldn't produce a quality boat,so they sold the molds to Stryker,a builder of cheap bassboats in Huntsville,Al.He produced them with the Hammond name until Bob threatened to sue him,so later boats were called Strykers. He build the 2150 hammond model,a 28 Eliminator pop,and a terrible 38 Scarabpop that Powerboat would not run in their mag test it was so bad.The 2150 was a great boat,but only because of its roots with George. Stryker went out of business 3-4 years ago. A friend tried to buy the 21 Challenger molds but price was too high. Far as I know they are still in a warehouse in Huntsville.It is interesting to note that with all the so-called new vee bottom technology out there that a hull George introduced at the Mercury dealer meeting in 1976 to showcase Merc's first ever v-6 outboard has never been or will never be equaled.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:59 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Too Old:

George has an original 21 that Joey Imprescia found for him about 5 years ago. The boat is a '77 or so ........ It has had a variety of single and twin engine installations over the years..... Now it sports a 300 pro max.....and rules the roughest parts of Great South Bay, NY.

I actually raced a twin engine version (2 x 225 mercs) in 1980 against , among others, Bill Gazelle and his 32 Sutphen Great Adventure in an offshore race in the Hudson (believe me it wasn't calm)...Bill beat me but not by much and only because my sand bags in the bow broke........ But the 21 beat out a bunch of other boats over 30 feet that day....including 3 Cobras and 2 Cigarettes.

The 21 Challenger/Shadow is still, without a doubt, one of the greatest vee bottom designs of all time.

T2x
Old 10-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: 21 Challenger People

Originally Posted by TRICK
I have a friend who bought a 21 Challenger. The boat belonged to Mercury and was used for testing purposes. There's no telling how many hours were on that thing but it was a lot. He refurbished the boat and has been using it since about 1981 or 82. Still a great boat.
Do you have any pictures of this boat???Send them to [email protected] please i would like to see them for reference of my challenger 21
Old 10-30-2005, 07:44 PM
JnT
Registered

Swiped these from screamandfly.com THE MAN ! George Linder.
Attached Thumbnails 21 Challenger People-img1536medium5dk.jpg   21 Challenger People-0425fs.jpg  
Old 10-31-2005, 11:13 PM
Registered

Any pics of the boat when it got a windshield and probably one of the first molded swim platforms...around '80 or so??

How many companies make a version of the same hull to this day? (Intimidator/Superboats...any others?)
Old 10-31-2005, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the 21 Apache Scout molds I'm building a new deck for now.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:24 AM
Registered

A few years back George and T2x were up visitng here in Lake George, and I had the distinct honor of spending an entire morning with Mr. and Mrs. Linder on their beautiful 21 Shadow Challenger pictured above. I was beyond dumfounded at how insanely well that boat handled whatever could be thrown at it. The BEST riding VEE bottom under 30 feet I have EVER been in. PERIOD!

Quick Reply: 21 Challenger People

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.