Notices

I survived a Tsunami

Old 07-30-2002, 05:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wind was howling around 60 I figure, and the bay was whipped up into a boiling cauldron in minutes. This is looking south, if you look north, it is bright sunshine on that side of the bridge.
Attached Thumbnails I survived a Tsunami-untitled-2.jpg  
Old 07-30-2002, 05:58 PM
Banned

The wind was so strong, it bent down this speed limit sign.
Attached Thumbnails I survived a Tsunami-sign.jpg  
Old 07-30-2002, 06:03 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had that happen on a blow boat!!!! I was out and saw the storm coming but my girlfriend at the time was on her Jet Ski. She did nto see it coming. So I sailed out to tell her to head in and I could not make it. I capsized the boat intentionally and held onto the centerboard for dear life. In about 5-10 min it passed and I was able to sail back in. Before I capsized I got some real fast rides in the high winds but then it got to the point that it was dangerous at that speed and the boat was out of control chine walking. People were looking for me as they knew I was out there in that storm. They figured if anyone was going to make it ok I would but they were still worried. I was never so glad to have my life jacket on
Old 07-30-2002, 06:04 PM
Banned

I was just thinking how glad I was that I wasn't in my boat, when I look to the north and see this 21 foot or so open fisherman trying to beat the storm across the bay. He made two errors in judgement. First of all, he should have run sooner. Once he saw the storm was close, he should have stayed in a cove on the Pinellas side. I wonder if he made it, I guess he did, since I didn't hear anything about it on the news. If he did, I guarantee he won't get caught in one again. I got caught in one in my dad's boat in the gulf when I was young and dumb (18) and never since. Since then when a bad squall is near, I rename my boat "Chicken of the Sea".
Attached Thumbnails I survived a Tsunami-boat.jpg  
Old 07-30-2002, 06:05 PM
Banned

Always remember my saying, "Mother Nature ain't no lady!". The sea can be a cruel taskmaster.
Attached Thumbnails I survived a Tsunami-untitled-3.jpg  
Old 08-01-2002, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That storm was FUN!!

As it started to rain I put my cell Phone down below, My crew was getting worried and headed for the cabin, as I went to start the boat and found only one key!?!?? Buy now it's pouring and starting to sting a little, still only one key, so I start up and move away from the shore in to deeper water's and point the boat into the waves, still with the crew looking for the other key, Nothing!

Finally I say Screw this and join them in the cabin where we stay for about 5 min. until the worst blew over!! While down there I find the other KEY!! (I put it down there when I took my cell phone down! Oops!) Goes to show you, it's best to stay calm!!

With Both keys I go above to start the Fountain and make sure we are not too close to shore! That's when I saw something on the Bridge that looked weird, so we idled that way, to find the Pontoon on it's side! I didn't think it was that bad, But I guess it was! I never got the fear that we were going to be overturned or swamped, but maybe the Big winds blew while I was looking for the KEY!

I always try and remember to take out the key's, cause I heard of way too many people getting hurt by someone who was messing around with the dash!

As for the Ramp! That was NOT my truck!! It was a buddy's of mine! It is still a 2wd like mine but his is a Crew Cab diesel. We both said on the way home that we will never own a 2wd Dually ever again!! BTW, Mine is for sale!!!

Thanks for the help Tanned Fat!! It sure helps to have friends in a pinch!!
Old 08-02-2002, 03:08 PM
Registered

That was quite a storm! I was glad that Gordo and 283Check returned from testing a prop just in time for Gordo to jump in his boat and take over driving. The plan was that I would drive Gordo's boat back to the marina. Considering I haven't spent much time driving his boat and I've never been in a boat in a storm like that.....I'd been scared to death! I was also very thankful that I had left my boat in the slip. (Having motor trouble.) It turned out to be a blessing in disguise! Not sure how that house boat would of handled the wind. It was kind of fun once Gordo took over, but I was glad when it was over and I saw that all our friends and their boats were safe.
Old 08-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Registered

Wow Cuda! That brings back memories. I used to cross the Howard Franklin every day back in the '80s when it was only a single four-lane (I-275) bridge with no breakdown lane. What a nighmare that use to be!

Tampa Bay can really kick up during one of those flash summer storms. I got caught out there one time in a 16 Donzi during a summer storm and with raging water and lighting bolts popping all around us I thought for sure that we were going to bite the big one. Somehow that little Donzi got us back to Coffee Pot Bayou (St. Pete).
Old 08-02-2002, 07:57 PM
Registered

Yep.....Been there,Done That.......many times. Try it in the Keys on the Atlantic !!!!! Dave Warden
Old 08-08-2002, 12:30 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dave,
Not quite the size of water that was in Key West last fall, but remember, we're in Kansas. We get some pretty stout straight line winds with nothing to slow it down.
Do you remember the Sarasota race in 1999 when they cut the Super V race short due to high winds, straight line rain so hard the shore disappeared, and lightening strikes all over?
That's what it was like on Perry a couple of weeks ago. I'll be the first to admit I've done some pretty stupid manuvers and been in some pretty ugly situations, but this storm had me genuinely concerned. Fortunately it didn't last long, and after seeing that everyone made it ok, it was actually quite the rush. In fact, it was a serious adrenaline pump!!!

Last edited by Gordo; 08-08-2002 at 12:34 AM.