Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run. >

Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.

Notices

Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.

Old 07-27-2002, 07:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.

Doug Lewis will be taking a break from treatment at Fred Hutchinsons to participate in our 2002 Fun Run.

He will throttle and Friday Harbor's Paul Whittier will drive a twin 496 powered 32' Skater. We will also have Seattle Outboard's twin 2.5 32 Skater, and Don Holtz in his twin HP500 36 Skater.

Our show stopper of the day will be Bob Russell in arguably the world's Fastest pleasure V bottom boat, "Rock-it". He has new power now and the boat will do 140+. Not bad for a 42 footer with a full cabin.

Remember, It's not a race. Really!!

Newspaper article

More Info
Old 07-27-2002, 10:57 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks Jim!
You just made my day.....
I'm glad to hear Doug got a chance to get and play with the boats. He probably really needed that fix

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 07-27-2002, 11:33 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job you guys!!! I am sure he will be totally psyched for that day. Sounds like lots of hot boats out there. What kind of boat is Rock it again? I have seen it but can not remember.

Jon
Old 07-28-2002, 08:31 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up

Is that Rock It the Outerlimits with the Fred Flintstone theme. Glad to hear Doug is getting some R&R getting a chance to have some fun. Give him my best wishes.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:28 AM

Default Thats Great!

Just to hear Doug can get out and play with you guys is a cure of its own. Have a great time
Old 07-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Registered

Well, unfortunately Doug was not able to make it. He was able to go down to the launch and help Paul launch the Skater. Leanne Lewis emailed me this morning and explained why.

The doctor's just yesterday explained that he must avoid all crowds. Right now his immune system has been artificially dropped so that it will recharge itself naturally. Because of this he is at great risk for any and all kinds of infection.

She also added that he wanted nothing more than to be in the race (fun run).

We would have been honored to have him. Everyone from NW Offshore and Channelman's Club wish him and his family the best during this tremendously difficult time.

Paul Whittier did show up, however, and cleaned everyone's clock in a 32' Skater with bone stock 496's, Stellings boxes and Bravo's.

Since my Cigarette engine detonated, I was out in my little 10 footer. (not quite a Sharkey), with a 35hp outboard. On my way out to do some Video work, I stuffed the boat. Luckily, I was only going about 10 mph. I was just trying to get out of some slop, looked up and noticed that the wave in front of me I was propelling towards was taller than the bow of the boat. Next thing I know, a 1 ft tall wall of water hits me in the face, drenching me. Didn't get hurt, just wet. Ruined cell phone, got digital camera wet (ok now). Thank God for bilge pumps in little boats.

Here's how the action went;

Bob Russell was first to break loose from the pack in "Rock-it", a 42' Outerlimits, (dragging Fred Flintstone on the side), with a couple of full staggered 1400hp KE engines and #6 drives. He was out in front by quite a bit at the start for about a mile, and then broke a crankshaft on one engine, (It was all he could do to hang on to the wheel), sending the harmonic balancer, like a ground flower, bouncing around in the engine compartment.

Jesse Thatcher was next to take the lead in his Whipple-charged 31' Warlock, clearly putting some distance between him and his followers. He would later break one of his new IMCO drives.

That left Don Holtz in his HP500 powered 36' Skater, followed by Paul Whittier in his 496 powered 32' Skater, and Seattle Outboard, a 28' Skater with 2.5's. The three Skaters battled it out over the entire course, literally side by side at times. The more seasoned veteran Paul Whittier prevailed in the 32' Skater thereby claiming the bragging rights that Mr. Holtz had enjoyed the previous year.

There were lots of other boats, 59 entries to be exact, but I can't remember who was in front of who to be exact.

We gave away all the entry fee money collected to the tune of about $2400.

We were also able to raise almost $1000 for a local charity.

A very fun time for all.

Here are some pics.

First one is Paul Whittier's 32' Skater.
(click here) for Larger pic.
Attached Thumbnails Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.-paulwhittier.jpg  

Last edited by NW_Jim; 07-29-2002 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2002, 06:10 PM
Registered

Here's a few of Rock-it.

Both of them.
Attached Thumbnails Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.-rockit02.jpg  
Old 07-28-2002, 06:11 PM
Registered

another
Attached Thumbnails Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.-rockit01.jpg  
Old 07-28-2002, 06:11 PM
Registered

one more.
Attached Thumbnails Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.-rockit03.jpg  
Old 07-28-2002, 06:16 PM
Registered

Here is a picture of Don Holtz (in purple shorts), and his mom, (far left in the white t-shirt).
Attached Thumbnails Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.-donnmom.jpg  

Quick Reply: Doug Lewis / Paul Whittier in our Fun Run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.