Notices

Boating areas to retire

Old 07-01-2013, 08:13 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cape coral 1

Outside Vegas 2

Ive been retarded for a long time now.....

Oh.....

Never mind......
Old 07-01-2013, 08:22 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by POWERPLAY J
If you do look into it hit me or one of the other guys from here up. Water is clean ( not the brown chit they have at Loto or Cumberland ) and we regularly make trips to Erie and Huron, I even knew a guy that would hire a deckhand and drive his boat from here to Lauderdale for the winter and back for the summer.
I've been boating on Cumberland pretty much all my life. With the exception of a short period when the spring rains cause the water to rapidly rise 40 - 50 feet the lake is clear as can be the rest of the year. You were either there right after the spring rains but before the water had a chance to settle or way back in a cove like 76 falls after a heavy rain. People from all over the midwest drive 10+ hours to vacation on Cumberland because of the water quality.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:54 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if you wanted waterfront property, but I would agree with Las Vegas or even Lake Havasu City. Extremely friendly to high performance boaters, its in AZ so everything is cheap and you can get some great houses with HUGE garages for fairly cheap. It does get into the 120s at times during the summer (i.e. this week) but theres no humidity so I tolerate it much better than here in Florida! Downside is that its kind of far from other cities, a little isolated.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FL Keys
Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

http://groveok.org/living-in-grove/about-grove/

Lots of retires here.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Swfl. Cape Coral. Brackish and then salt but boat all year round. Houses are very inexpensive right now. Taxes not bad at all. I'm not retired but I live here for all these reasons and plan on staying when I retire.
There also is a new VA "clinic" that is brand new and about the size of a small hospital.
Very nice looking place.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:08 PM
Registered

Default Yep, he's right....

Originally Posted by Marginmn
I've been boating on Cumberland pretty much all my life. With the exception of a short period when the spring rains cause the water to rapidly rise 40 - 50 feet the lake is clear as can be the rest of the year. You were either there right after the spring rains but before the water had a chance to settle or way back in a cove like 76 falls after a heavy rain. People from all over the midwest drive 10+ hours to vacation on Cumberland because of the water quality.
I work and live in Michigan, Milford to be exact. And I drive 450 miles to my place on Lake Cumberland. I'm there now for a week of vacation and plan to keep this place in retirement. The season runs from mid-April to the end of October, sometimes longer. The water quality is as nice, or better, than the Great Lakes, and it is sitting at 79-80 right now. Can't be beat. I've been coming here for 30 years, I've traveled the entire country, and it is great boating, freshwater, together with a long season. Check it out.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

WOW! Thank you for the replies. You all have provided some really great possibilities for my wife and I to consider.

Yes, we would really like a waterfront home, dock, lift, pool... A quick "Google" on some of your suggestions indicates this is within our means. We don't have any huge ties to where we currently live in northern/central New York, so a major relocation (within the USA) is very acceptable.

Keep the suggestions coming...they are VERY helpful.

Thank you!

BeakBoater35
Old 07-02-2013, 07:31 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Swfl. Cape Coral. Brackish and then salt but boat all year round. Houses are very inexpensive right now. Taxes not bad at all. I'm not retired but I live here for all these reasons and plan on staying when I retire.

ICU, hit it on the head, we bought a house down here last October and love it, I retired at 49yo in 2005 and moved fulltime to LOTO, we love the Lake, but the midwest Winter's suck, so we made the move, FMO has a great group of boaters down here and the weather is unbelievable, tons to do, Ft. Myers Beach 30 minutes away, if you have any specilic questions I'll be glad to try and answer them.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM
Registered

Lake Norman in Charlotte, NC

I will be there in 20 years...or sooner if my property taxes keep going up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.