Notices

Boating areas to retire

Old 07-02-2013, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My self I would want fresh water, and more than just one big lake, which is going to relegate you to something in the northern region. If it were me I would be looking for something that borders the great lakes.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Florida
LOTO
Lake Michigan
Puget Sound
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

South Haven and Grand Haven in Michigan is pretty incredible. Plus you get to see sunsets like on the ocean over water.
Old 07-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Registered

we grew up in northern michigan in the summers. If you plop down in northern lower pennisula, within about 30mins of towing your boat or driving the boat, you can be in the lake michigan, lake huron, the straights of mackinaw, the north channel, the Le cheneauxs(spelling, just north east of st ignace) thats boating for years up there. You also have two monster lakes in Burt Lake and Mullet lake, which I think Burt lake is like a top 10 sizes inland lake in the world. ON the lake michigan side you have all the islands, grand traverse bay, you can run down to Lake charlevoix. Sucks because boating is only may-oct, but I have been to NY, the ocean, OK, and Michigan specially northern michigan is probably the best boating your going to find. Not going to be huge big parties in northern michigan, but the cost of living is probably a fraction of trying to live in florida. Ideally I would live up there then haul a boat down to florida in the winter.

Something to think about is some day that boat wont be possible anymore, happened to my grand father, and you might be stuck on land.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Registered

Soldier 4402 hit it on the head!

I'll be heading to Mullett Lake Tomorrow!!!! Love northern MI doesn't get much better than that.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Not throwing stones, but how's the winters (nov-march) up in Michigan, I lived in Missouri most of my life and even though we love LOTO and it's beautiful during the Summer in the midwest, it sucks in the winter (snow, ice, cold) and last time I checked Michigan is kind of North of Missouri, just saying, I'm sure Michigan is wonderful in the Summer too, but it's hard to beat Florida guys, sorry.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by JcookMI
Soldier 4402 hit it on the head!

I'll be heading to Mullett Lake Tomorrow!!!! Love northern MI doesn't get much better than that.

youve probably been there but in the inland water way or indian river. Starts in Crooked lake(Conway MI) and goes all the way to cheboygan its a river that spans 2-3 lakes, couple locks, and is all day adventure, has bars, hotels, restaraunts, gas etc. Pretty cool trip and I have seen 40fters in that water way. Also another monster lake is Torch lake, cant remember exactly where it is, but its up there by petoskey somewhere, they have a huge sand bar by the torch river(might be elk river) with tons of boat, one of those lakes where you can see like 1000ft down. Theres also a chain of rivers and such that goes from torch lake to elk lake I beleive.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 314joey
Not throwing stones, but how's the winters (nov-march) up in Michigan, I lived in Missouri most of my life and even though we love LOTO and it's beautiful during the Summer in the midwest, it sucks in the winter (snow, ice, cold) and last time I checked Michigan is kind of North of Missouri, just saying, I'm sure Michigan is wonderful in the Summer too, but it's hard to beat Florida guys, sorry.
well on average probably about 25 degrees with a few feet of snow. Im not trying to compare florida to Michigan if your trying to do an all year boating adventure. Florida is also miserable in the summer compared to michigan. Ive just been about everywhere and the little time it does last you can not beat a summer in the north on fresh water.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 730 Likes on 327 Posts

We've been retired in Traverse City, Mi since 2008 and love the area. Remember once you retire you'll need things other than boating to fill your day. Think about what you like doing and what you've always wanted to do but needed more time. also consider as you age your boating lifestyle could change along with other activities. We have found there are less people still into boating that are our age. Wherever you land stay active within your community and with your spouse ! Travel to warm places in the winter if you retire in the north, we go to Playa del Carmen in December and again in late March for a week to 10 days. We downhill and Xc ski and I still play hockey so the north fits us well.
ed
Old 07-02-2013, 12:15 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I'll take Florida. It might hot and humid but if I'm in a boat I can jump off and cool off!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.