Notices

Boating areas to retire

Old 12-12-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any input regarding the Texas-Gulf area? Padre? Anything,....
Seems like a great winter snowbird drop down south from LOTO.

Curious...,

Thanks
Old 12-15-2014, 07:57 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 608 Likes on 280 Posts

There is a Nice jail in Port Isabel lol. Better learn Spanish
Old 12-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Registered

Thanks "Quin" for the advice, 1st impressions are lasting. I've been doing a little research, seems like the most southern shorelines of Texas appears pretty industrial, too bad... easy drop down south.

Heading out to Havasu / Bullhead / Vegas to explore more over the holiday break, I'll try to get on the river above Havasu for the 1st time and try to see Lake Mohave too.

Being based in MO it seems like Havasu (if the Colorado river doesn't dry up) or Florida Keys (if they don't sink from glacier melting) are good contenders for a power boating snowbird's winter roost.

-PS Gotta love them Wellcrafts. I still got my first boat an old 83', Great Hull.
Old 12-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MnFastBoat
why not hawaii!!!
best all around temps year round!
Boat from Island to island! and be in paradise!!
True on the best year-round temps and the great weather. But unfortunately, the 50th state is very unfriendly to powerboating. Marinas are few, skilled mechanics are tough to find and the water is big and unpredictable. I love having my Sunsation on Oahu and there are days when the water is amazing, but it is the only newer performance boat on the island. Retirement for a boater in Hawaii is likely best for a sailboater keeping his boat in a slip.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:02 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by C_Spray
I'm trying to make all that work in coastal NC. I'll let you know how it works out in a few years...
Well, it worked out pretty well. The local Neuse River boating is good, with several places to go/hang out including both restaurant/bars and sand bars. It's a 45-minute run to Beaufort/Morehead City and open ocean water, the local fishing/crabbing is great, and more and more businesses are moving into the area. Lots of growth here - we even have a WalMart SuperCenter 10 minutes away - LOL! Love this area - Arapahoe/New Bern, NC.

Oh - The summers are not too bad here; a little warmer and more humid than PA, but not bad at all. The winters? Well - we haven't winterized yet...
Attached Thumbnails Boating areas to retire-viewewater_20141201.jpg   Boating areas to retire-dockwoh_20140611.jpg   Boating areas to retire-docks_20140218.jpg  

Boating areas to retire-sunset.jpg   Boating areas to retire-firstnccrabs_20140717.jpg   Boating areas to retire-viewedock_20141201b.jpg  

Last edited by C_Spray; 12-16-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Michgan and havasu
Old 12-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

I like Eastern Washington, although summers get hot, (100), its not that bad. Winters are mild, mostly 40ish, you could boat in ski jacket bundled up. You have the Columbia River, since two dams, its like a lake. You also have lake Chelan. Seattle is an easy 2hr drive. Decent restaurants and shopping. No state income tax, property tax is reasonable. Energy costs insanely cheap, lowest rates in the U.S. (Beginning Jan. 1, 2012, Chelan County PUD moved to a flat residential rate for electricity of just 2.7 cents per kilowatt hour.) Real estate is also reasonable, 5bedroom 6,000sqft. house on 4acres with a pool under $800K in the best neighborhood around. Doesn't rain as much as the rest of WA. Arid desert climate, kind of like Palm Springs.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I'll take Florida. It might hot and humid but if I'm in a boat I can jump off and cool off!!
We love south Fla. too, rented a beautiful big home in south Cape Coral last winter close to the 2 big marinas, very nice and quiet there and close to the water, you can walk for miles, bicycle everywhere, go to the marina's and eat, drink, etc. boat right up to them, or boat over to Ft. Myers Beach, and, it's warm there in Jan.and Feb.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by 253
We love south Fla. too, rented a beautiful big home in south Cape Coral last winter close to the 2 big marinas, very nice and quiet there and close to the water, you can walk for miles, bicycle everywhere, go to the marina's and eat, drink, etc. boat right up to them, or boat over to Ft. Myers Beach, and, it's warm there in Jan.and Feb.

We are heading out on Sat and as well as the New Years fun run, got to love FL!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Registered

Default Boating Areas to Retire (Winter)

Over the Christmas / New Years break we were able to visit the Colorado River area between Lake Mead down to Parker, AZ. As fate would have it, the area experienced snow for the first time in a while: None the less, I found Bullhead City to be interesting. Four wheeling in the desert was a major plus!! Seems you can run the river down to Havasu or put in at Lake Mohave. Lake Mohave looks great. I've boated Havasu a couple years ago over Christmas / New Years. I didn't feel comfortable trying to make it North, up the river. Is the river typically high enough for easy passage from Havasu up North? Any input on Lake Mohave -vs- Havasu? Anything worth trying below Havasu?

During the snow bird months (Jan-March) does it actually get warm enough to cruise the waters? (Think windshield). I've still got plenty of time before pulling the plug on the day gig thing so more exploration / comparison of S. Florida (keys) is on the list.

Happy New year!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.