Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Closed loop cooling and salt water >

Closed loop cooling and salt water

Notices

Closed loop cooling and salt water

Old 07-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Funny thing about this argument is that just about every high end powerboat has run in Florida salt water and they are amazingly still beautiful!

Included in the list:

All Apaches, all offshore raceboats, all FPC poker run participants, all Active Thunders/Powerplays, pretty sure all Cigarettes are water tested before delivery (the Lipships surely are). I suspect NorTech/OL do the same. That being said salt water isn't all gloom and doom!
Old 07-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Funny thing about this argument is that just about every high end powerboat has run in Florida salt water and they are amazingly still beautiful!

Included in the list:

All Apaches, all offshore raceboats, all FPC poker run participants, all Active Thunders/Powerplays, pretty sure all Cigarettes are water tested before delivery (the Lipships surely are). I suspect NorTech/OL do the same. That being said salt water isn't all gloom and doom!
So is that why Sunsations are so awesome?
Old 07-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
So is that why Sunsations are so awesome?
Brian you know this but others may not:

Many of their boats do end up in salt water but being a Michigan based builder they obviously test in fresh water conditions because that is what is near the factory. The other boats listed (AT included) obviously test in salt because that is their local water. There are odd cases like my boat (bought from an Illinois dealer) as a new boat only to find out it was featured by Hot Boat in an article and the "testing" was done in FL salt water. So that boat got dipped before it even got sold. I didn't care but to someone who would be salt water adverse and bought a new boat in the Midwest it would be a concern!

All of the Sunsation F4's have been "salted" (even the newest one that stayed in Michigan I believe hit a FL poker run last year). With closed cooling it becomes less of a concern for the engines but you will never confuse a 10 year old salt water boat with a 10 year old freshwater boat (especially one that is only used 3-4 months a year then put into winter hibernation in a barn).

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 07-07-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I know JS! Just kidding!

Eliminator: almost as awesome as Sunsation.
Wait, maybe Envision should be up there too.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I know JS! Just kidding!

Eliminator: almost as awesome as Sunsation.
Wait, maybe Envision should be up there too.
Hey remember both Eliminator AND Sunsation have built multiple 43's.............AT "crickets" in that dept!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
Hey remember both Eliminator AND Sunsation have built multiple 43's.............AT "crickets" in that dept!
True, true.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would rather my boat fizz a little in salt water then have to boat in fresh water!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mercury
I would rather my boat fizz a little in salt water then have to boat in fresh water!
Boy I don't know about that. Grant it I'm overly anal retentive on the condition of the boat. Being a Michigan native we are spoiled on how easy freshwater is on our stuff. I've done the FPC Key West run many years ago and after seeing what 10 days of salt did to my friends 38 Cat I swore the closest mine would ever get to salt would be in a shaker at a restaurant. In comparison this picture is my old Bertram in Harbor Springs where it sat in the water for two weeks. I wiped the water line off with a wet micofiber towel. I feel for the boaters that battle the saltwater....man it is criminal what it can do to a boat. Try a weekend in the great lakes I think you will like not having to flush,wash and WD-40 everything after every ride.[ATTACH=CONFIG]504090[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Closed loop cooling and salt water-0728081146.jpg  
Old 07-09-2013, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I boat 1-2 times a year in the salt. and enjoy every minute of it. it does get flushed, and ran in fresh water, and a full wash job when i get back. and have yet to see damage from it.

I hope to move to salt water for my place of resadence, may be more work, maybe have to replace more offten, but I LOVE the pretty water, and sandy beaches.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Something about saltwater boating. Key west, Bahamas, Miami, Catalina island, Tampa. Must be why there are NO boats around these places cause salt destroys em.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.