Notices

Another Rookie Question

Old 07-09-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another Rookie Question

I have really enjoyed searching this forum for the advice y'all give the first timers and the noobs. I am a boat owner but I am stepping up to Performance Boats for the first time. I have a budget of about 60K and I want to solicit y'alls advice.

1) Are 2 engines gonna cost me a helluva lot more to maintain than 1?
2) Are the Mercury Racing engines gonna cost me a helluva lot more to maintain than the run-of-the-mill 496s?
3) Do I want to avoid supercharged motors or have they proven reliable? (I should say here that I baby my stuff and even if I had a 100mph boat I just dont see me running it that hard very often.)
4) I think I want to do some of the various poker/fun runs and for that a MCOB would be great for taking the Posse- but a cuddy means you can sleep on the lake! Anyone who could share their experiences with those two scenarios would be greatly appreciated. I.e. can one sleep in a MCOB? Does anyone in the hot part of the country actually use the cuddy cabin for sleeping?

I am in Texas and the boat would be used on the lakes around the Southwest and Southeast. I dont rule out the occasional Salt water poker run in La. or Fl. but that would be rare. At least I think it would be rare, I have never done one, but I have seen the pics. Wow!

I want to stick to something 2001 or newer, I would like a minimum 70mph, dont think I need a rough water boat since this will be a lake boat 90% of the time at least, dont think I need twins for the same reason.

So, any brand/model advice would be appreciated, same for engines. Any random thoughts on the poker run party scene and lake camping would also be greatly appreciated.

Really stoked about meeting some new friends and jumping into the PB culture. I am in the market now. Thanks in advance for any wisdom the sages here can share
Old 07-09-2013, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

How big do you want, how fast do you want to go??
Old 07-09-2013, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

A lot is going to hang on what ypu want and how much upkeep you are willing to do yourself.

We are finishing up our deal on our first powerboat. We have always had a small single outboard CC. Now we will be happy and proud owners of a 35' twin 502 MAG Nordic.

Make a check list and see what you really want/need out of a boat to help narrow it dowb.

Best of luck...I know you will be as pleased as us.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

How Big of Truck do you have? If you buy a Big Boat, You Need a Big Truck to pull It. Some cost as much as a Nice Boat..

PS, If you don't want a rough water boat then Look at the Fountain Brand If you want to go out in the Rough and Not spill your Beverage then Look at the Cigarette Brand (Now you're in the thick of it )
Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Where in TX are you located. Nice single Nordic for sale in the Killeen area. Check out Austin Boat Forum.com
Old 07-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdonzi
How Big of Truck do you have? If you buy a Big Boat, You Need a Big Truck to pull It. Some cost as much as a Nice Boat..

PS, If you don't want a rough water boat then Look at the Fountain Brand If you want to go out in the Rough and Not spill your Beverage then Look at the Cigarette Brand (Now you're in the thick of it )
I still have yet to be passed by one of those rough water boats in the rough. How did all those fountains dominate the race course? They must only race on flat water

Last edited by 4bus; 07-09-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fastdonzi

I am looking in the 27-35 range. I want to do 70 minimum. I have an f-450 so I doubt I could afford to buy more boat than I can tow
I spoke with a boat salesman today who recommended that I look at twins. His argument was that some basic twins I.e. 496s will push a boat as fast as a Merc Racing single, and the maintenance and fuel consumption are reasonable. Any thoughts?

I was also advised to stay away from the Merc racing engines other than the 500EFI since I do not plan on wrenching myself.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if 60k will buy a 35 lightning (fountain) because I'm notin the market so don't know the going rate, but what a bad ass boat!! There are tons of fountain haters here and I'm not sure why. You can't deny there accomplisments. They are obviously fast boats and apparently can handle rough water seeing they have won hundreds of off shore racing events. There are tons of good brands, but I just like the look of fountains. Many dont like the "beak" but I think it looks awesome and is one of the most recognizable boat on the water.

I personally have a velocity and absolutely love it. 60k would buy a very nice velocity but not sure if you could get into the 30+ ft velocity with that budget. But if speed is your thing you can't go wrong. I have a single engine 28' boat with 800 plus hp and I'm knocking on the 100 mph mark once down with props. Already been 98 with 3 people and to small of a prop.

Like I said there are tons of very nice boats out there and everyone has different expectations out of there boating experience. Chances are you coming from small cc boats anything you get 30 ft and over will handle like a dream compared to what your use to. People say the 280 velocity isn't a good rough water boat. Maybe not but I've been 65 through solid 3 footers and to me that was pretty good and it wasn't that bad. Granted I couldn't sip Martini's in those conditions, but I'm not looking for that.

Good luck and have fun. Shopping for your next boat is half the fun to me.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Where in TX are you located. Nice single Nordic for sale in the Killeen area. Check out Austin Boat Forum.com
I went up and took a look at Jays boat. He's a character. Took us for a ride. In the end I decided I was probably looking for something a little newer. Cool ride he's got though.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:57 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1). Welcome. Great home you found!
1.1). Yes. Not double, but definitely more. The hidden cost is fuel....just goes away faster....sb....bb....however....twins are tha chit. Plus, you can get home on one with twins. Without....?
2). Stay away from 496 ho. Big inch is cool, and super responsive outta tha hole. No replacement for displacement.
3). Forced induction rocks. I have a boat, car and truck(s) all forced. EFI with a huffer is safer for someone green, but perfectly safe for carb if set up and monitored properly.
4). Stabbin cabin with ac!

Some really good boating in tx....and for quite a long season. If I were there in Austin or Dallas, I would definitely run a twin bb with about 10m of glass.....plus or barely minus. Wave crushing is good to have.....even in flat water while crossing. Heii....1' rolling seas can give you a heii of a jolt if you aren't timed right.

5?). PR's are not races. Had to.....sorry. The fun is running with the pack at 55-75. That's a cruise speed. The big schlongs are gone.....gone....gone. But being able to keep with the pack is a big contributor to how you feel about participating.

6?). Start with a well taken care of older boat. There are several here available from very reputable members that would not put their name in a precarious position over a sale. LOTO boats are a good buy too...if always from there ( fresh water )

1). Welcome!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.