Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Towing a boat behind a houseboat

VIP Member VIP Member

Towing a boat behind a houseboat

We're doing a houseboat trip shortly and I'm going to tow my 38' Formula behind and was wondering how long of a line. I'm thinking 75' tow line attached to a 20' double loop stern.....or 100'? This tow bridle from Top Knot looks good HERE. I'm also towing two waverunners behind the 38 so I was going to do a 25' foot version behind the Formula to the first wave runner then another 25' tow line between the two waverunners. Does this sound reasonable? Too long.....too short?

My biggest concern is when stopping to land the houseboat and organizing this long train. Maybe stop out a bit from shore......pull the Formula line close and toss off a box anchor.....then land the houseboat, then swim out to the Formula and waverunners?
    Nort

JnT
    My Boats:
    1987 Apache Scout
    I would put the Formula in a "hip tow" a little ways out from where you are landing. Have some friends get on the waverunners and either use them to help position the houseboat and placing anchors. or just stay out of the way til you get the big boat secure.

VIP Member VIP Member
    Thanks JnT. Hip tow? Can you explain?
    Nort

JnT
    My Boats:
    1987 Apache Scout
    When you get close to your destination tie the Formula to the side of the houseboat . If I am beaching my houseboat I keep the Apache on the port or stbd quarter.If the stern of the Apache hangs off the houseboat transom a few feet its no big deal. Houseboat will handle more sluggish but that's where you can use the waverunners as bow or stern thrusters if you need them, Ideally in calm water with good fenders.

VIP Member VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JnT View Post
    When you get close to your destination tie the Formula to the side of the houseboat . If I am beaching my houseboat I keep the Apache on the port or stbd quarter.If the stern of the Apache hangs off the houseboat transom a few feet its no big deal. Houseboat will handle more sluggish but that's where you can use the waverunners as bow or stern thrusters if you need them, Ideally in calm water with good fenders.
    Thanks....that's what I thought you meant.
    Nort

Registered

tow

Your going to have a snake trail behind you. The formula will want to bow steer and swim w/ the current produced by the h/b and the skis even more so.
    I'd tie a separate line from the bow eye of the formula to the outside corners of the h/b. -a bridle-that way it can't bow steer itself, maybe 40'-50' aft of the h/b.-put the drives up
    do the same w/the first ski behind formula and have the 2nd ski on a short tow behind the other, or lash them side by side with a bridle behind formula connetted to the tow eyes.
    And have plenty of hands at the ready if tou have manuver quickly..
    When you get ready to pull up for the day, cut the tow loose and have someone fire up the formula. Like JNT suggested.
    Good luck
    post some pics - it out to be a sight
    Last edited by JETTDOGG; 07-16-2013 at 12:51 PM.

VIP Member VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JETTDOGG View Post
    Your going to have a snake trail behind you. The formula will want to bow steer and swim w/ the current produced by the h/b and the skis even more so.
    I'd tie a separate line from the bow eye of the formula to the outside corners of the h/b. -a bridle-that way it can't bow steer itself, maybe 40'-50' aft of the h/b.-put the drives up
    do the same w/the first ski behind formula and have the 2nd ski on a short tow behind the other, or lash them side by side with a bridle behind formula connetted to the tow eyes.
    And have plenty of hands at the ready if tou have manuver quickly..
    When you get ready to pull up for the day, cut the tow loose and have someone fire up the formula.
    Good luck
    post some pics - it out to be a sight
    Yes.....I'm ordering the 3-point bridle betwen houseboat and Formula (3/4") and one for Formula to first WaveRunner (5/8")
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Nort

Platinum Member Platinum Member 97FASTech's Avatar
    My Boats:
    97 Formula 271 FASTech HP500
    Nort, check on the tow speed for the wave runners. On mine there was a max tow speed or procedures to do if towing faster than idle.

Sounds fun, have a good time. Sounds as you bought a second wave runner to fill your trailer!!!

VIP Member VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 97FASTech View Post
    Nort, check on the tow speed for the wave runners. On mine there was a max tow speed or procedures to do if towing faster than idle.

Sounds fun, have a good time. Sounds as you bought a second wave runner to fill your trailer!!!

Thanks......I'm checking now. Great info! I found this here.

http://forums.iboats.com/pwc-jetskis...er-424600.html
    Nort

My Boats:
    37 Active Thunder, 20 Spectra jet, 17 Speedliner cat outboard
    Just jump the jetskis onto the back of the houseboat. Use the Formula to create the ramp-wake. Hold my beer; I got this.
    Brian @ activethunderboats . com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast