Notices

Merc Lower Unit

Old 07-21-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc Lower Unit

Looking for a used lower unit. Merc 250-3.0 1998 counter rotation. I checked the classifieds with no luck. If anybody can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Since the motors are old, I'm trying not to spend for a brand new lower. Thanks in advance for any info. Frankenstein
Old 07-21-2013, 07:09 PM
Registered

have you priced SEI? I hate to promote the Chi-Com's but it would be better than a used lower
Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

How about $1750. new, counter rotating. + the ride.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:06 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Alpha drive????

http://www.sterndrive.cc/outdrives.htm
Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Pete280
have you priced SEI? I hate to promote the Chi-Com's but it would be better than a used lower
I have, and it looks like that's the way I'm leaning towards. Thanks
Old 07-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete280
I will tell you what, I had an SEI Bravo Lower on my Velocity for 3 years (until I smaked it on a rock and bent the prop shaft, a week past their no questions warranty). They are great, especially for the price. It held up to a high X dimension Big Block without issue, still have it, just need a new prop shaft. Can't go wrong for the $$ with SEI. I would recommend them to anyone. Was told by SEI, you can use Merc parts to replace gears, shafts, etc. I would consider a new SEI unit before buying used.. The only reason why I didn't go SEI again is I got two Merc used lowers w/cones for $700. So now I have a spare in case I do something stupid......

Last edited by low_psi; 07-22-2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by low_psi
I will tell you what, I had an SEI Bravo Lower on my Velocity for 3 years (until I smaked it on a rock and bent the prop shaft, a week past their no questions warranty). They are great, especially for the price. It held up to a high X dimension Big Block without issue, still have it, just need a new prop shaft. Can't go wrong for the $$ with SEI. I would recommend them to anyone. Was told by SEI, you can use Merc parts to replace gears, shafts, etc. I would consider a new SEI unit before buying used.. The only reason why I didn't go SEI again is I got two Merc used lowers w/cones for $700. So now I have a spare in case I do something stupid......
Thanks for the tip. Thats what I'm going to do. The price I got was $1045. It would be $845 but it's the counter rotating one, of course. I appreciate the info from everybody who replied.