Upgrade... Alpha SS to bravo1? >

Upgrade... Alpha SS to bravo1?

Notices

Upgrade... Alpha SS to bravo1?

Old 07-22-2013, 10:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upgrade... Alpha SS to bravo1?

So i have the opportunity to upgrade to a complete 1989 bravo 1unit setup for 1100.00, its in really nice shape. I think hes giving me a great deal and i know i could sell my alpha ss for a good price too. I have a powerplay xlt with the SS and a 475hp 400sbc. This the right play?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

NO!!! that's an average deal at best. If you really want to upgrade get a '97 or later Bravo I. At least you will have some of the better upgrades. The 89 model doesn't have the internal reservoir that goes in the bilge.. Does that price include the Transom assembly as well?
Old 07-22-2013, 11:51 PM
Registered

you boat will be way slower with the standard bravo one..
Old 07-23-2013, 12:17 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM me if you plan to off the SS.

John jr
Old 07-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I just did the Alpha SS to B1 swap this winter. I agree that you should wait for a newer Bravo setup. (I think we actually spoke on the phone when I was selling and you were buying the Alpha SS)

I dont run wide open much, so I didnt care about a few MPH slower, but the overall performance is SO MUCH BETTER. I also have an over powered very light boat like you - and its a true hot rod with the b1, you can hammer on it out of the hole without a care. Stiff arm it at anytime etc.

My only other advice is to buy a NEW, not used engine coupler, used ones arent worth the risk BC if that goes out the motor has to come out again. I think I bought a brand new takeoff from Fenderjack?

Last edited by flysfloatsor; 07-23-2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered

This is was I would be looking to get...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/boa/3953224564.html

But I kinda agree... I would like something newer. Right now I have no drive shower and Im getting the white frosted top, but Ive been taken it easy on it until I get the drive shower. An Im not sure if my SS has the HD gears in it or not.

I just thought it would be nice like you said above floater that to just stiff arm it anytime and not worry about blowing the drive. I guess it might be just worth it putting the money into the HD gears and drive shower and be done. I cant afford to lose any MPH with my boat... only a 66-68mph now.

Last edited by chrisf695; 07-23-2013 at 07:38 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

HD gears or not, Its going to pop. I rode mine until I blew out the upper gearset. (And I had a Drive Shower)
Then sold it for $500 for parts/rebuild...

Get rid of it now while its still worth some money.

Did that motor dyno at 475? Seems like you should be getting more speed than you are. Your boat is 19' right? How much does that thing weigh?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:13 AM
Registered

I just dont have the money to upgrade to a newer b1 and wont for a long long time... wedding coming and house searching. So its either sell the SS separate and sell the boat in the spring and go with something else, so I dont worry about blowing my drive on a boat or just do like I said above(HD gears and get a shower) and pray I dont blow the SS.

The builder said it should have 425-475hp. Powerplay Integra is heavier compared to the regular XLT-185. And the XLT is heavy to begin with. In the beginning of the summer I had all the interior out of it... bench seat, panels , sunpad, etc... everything.. it was just a hull. It ran 71-74mph. Add it all back in and with a full tank and one other person it runs 66-68. Still playing with props at the moment too.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

if tha means all parts and labor and to install. But parts alone you can find that stuff everyday at that price.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Thats just for all the parts... I would have to hire someone to help me with this... so labor also. Ill just dump some more money into the SS... And just be easy on it how I have been all summer. Just need that damn drive shower. I have a spare vertical shaft for just in case...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.