Notices

It's not just us....

Old 07-26-2013, 08:55 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Some of those boats look taller than they are long....
Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
Very serious. I ask again. Did any of those fish boats have a twin BBC set up? IMO the bottom is only one part of the "Offshore" boat equation as we know it today..
I'm going to weigh in a little on the lighter side... But yes they did, but we don't tend to track with them because they were Chrysler and occasionally ford BB. Obviously we all know they ran their fair share of diesels as well. Also thousands of 318's, 383's, etc. The much loved and respected Aronow 233 (Formula 233) has a hull pulled right from a scaled down big boy fishing rig, which is part of why it rides so well for a tiny thing, and also is a dryer ride than any other 23ft'r and most 30ft'rs.

I'm not saying our new stepped hull rockets are slightly tweaked fishing boats, but I think it's fair to argue that our roots go back to fishing... Flame away
Old 07-26-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered

Very serious. I ask again. Did any of those fish boats have a twin BBC set up? IMO the bottom is only one part of the "Offshore" boat equation as we know it today..
This hull design was the same one that Don Aronow used to win the world Championship in 1969. It was a 32 foot Cary that was later called a Cobra and a Performer.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505072[/ATTACH]
Notice in this photo how the offshore racers of old used v drives and inboards with struts and rudders, rather than the sterndrive packages commonly used today.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505073[/ATTACH]
The most famous of all offshore racing photos, Don Aronow drivng his World Championship winning boat in 1969. The name on the boat says The Cigarette and everyone thinks it was a Cigarette; but it was in fact a Cary. Shortly after winning the World Championship, Don began his new company and chose for its name the same name as his winning boat ... The Cigarette.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505074[/ATTACH]

Thanks HORBA for keeping the History alive....

3 examples in about 30 seconds, pretty sure they're not singles....
Attached Thumbnails It's not just us....-ph-g022.jpg   It's not just us....-ph-g012.jpg   It's not just us....-ph-g035.jpg  

Last edited by bluellama; 07-26-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: fixed hyperlink
Old 07-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

Im saying the true template for the modern offshore boat came when the twin BBC and sterndrives appeared. Why? because in 2013 were still pumping out brand new boats with using BBCs and sterndrives and there hasnt been any inboards or rudders seen in decades. And Don Aronow and the drug runners were the ones who solidified that combination.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered

Im saying the true template for the modern offshore boat came when the twin BBC and sterndrives appeared. Why? because in 2013 were still pumping out brand new boats with using BBCs and sterndrives and there hasnt been any inboards or rudders seen in decades. And Don Aronow and the drug runners were the ones who solidified that combination.
No Rudders for decades.... Really ??

Last edited by bluellama; 07-26-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by bluellama
No Rudders for decades.... Really ??
Not in the classic vee bottom that we seem to be talking about from the pics you posted..And if there is its outnumbered 1000 to 1 by the BBC sterndrive combo. An ASD isnt even a inboard with a rudder in the classic sense.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

pullmytrigger,

Just got home and figured there would be some good banter about what I said and I'm glad so we can debate this more. You have your opinions and I respect them, I will guess you are younger than I and that is why you have the opinions you have.

When I was younger these engines http://www.marineengine.com/boat-for...-534-SEAMASTER (please read about them on here) were the hot set-up for 36 Rybo's and 37 Merritts to "race" each other back and forth from the grounds, these are the real big blocks 534 cui way before Chevy had a clue. In fact when offshore racing started there were no BBC's. I will give you the fact that modern offshore powerboats as you know them are long lean twin BBC sterndrive boats and that is what the world views as an "offshore" boat as do I - all I'm saying is again from way above the "great grandfathers" of today's boats & the sport of offshore racing comes from the fishing world.

Next drug smugglers use cigarette style boats - please with all respect do not buy into that Hollywood hype. There were more bertrams, hatteras, silvertons and center consoles used in the drug trade then all the offshore boats ever made added up all together. You might ask how do I know? My family has some history with this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rum-running as my name on here says Habana Joe was my grandfather hence our clothing businesses were "Habana Joe" and "Habana Co", you can even find refernces to my family with Ernest down at Sloppy Joes.

For the most part the more unprofessional smugglers used "go fast" boats years ago, if you were a boat Capt of a big sportfishermen and fished Chub Cay or many other little islands years ago, you were approached on occassion to turn your back for a couple hours and here's $10k in bag, when you get back to Fl call this number, leave the boat unattended and give us 1 hour. This was a way of life in the 70's & 80's.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Before the advent of technology in engines, there were hulls. Strong hulls, overbuilt in the beginning, but so darned strong, who would argue. I remember the first time my dad's friend brought a 31' Bertram to the lake. I have no idea what the power was, it was fast, and rode so well, nobody spilled a drop. Long time ago. The hulls of today are mostly based on those old hulls, with only steps being the major difference. Some are far lighter, using more advanced composites or just lighter and stronger materials.

There are today, still some fishing hulls that use this tried and true philosophy, and they last a vary long time. When you look at the hulls of today's Cigarettes, and the demised Fountains, you'll see that they are merely tweaks of a 30-40 year old idea. Not many deviate from those old hulls, because they can't beat them.

Without the hull, a twin BBC is nothing other than a fast people beater.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HabanaJoe
pullmytrigger,

I will give you the fact that modern offshore powerboats as you know them are long lean twin BBC sterndrive boats and that is what the world views as an "offshore" boat as do I -
Thank you, that's all I ever said. At no point did I ever claim a "Cigarette style boat" smuggled more drugs than a Bertram or a Silverton. I dont know where you got that from. And the original "Cigarette style boat" hulls were quite possibly lifted from a fish boat. But again, the hull is only part of the equation IMO. Maybe I should say ...Don Aronow and the Drug Smuggler "persona" gave us the "long lean twin BBC sterndrive" template for what we call an "Offshore" boat today. And this is important why? because practically every "offshore" vee bottom ever made as we know it today is some sort of variation of that original template right down to the twin bolsters and aft bench. Thousands upon thousands of boats by upwards of sixty manufactures, still going strong in 2013 with no end in sight.

Last edited by pullmytrigger; 07-27-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

We're on the same page - nice to banter once in a while, all in fun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.