Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Rough water: 32 skater vs 38 TG, at what point does the 32 loose it's edge?? >

Rough water: 32 skater vs 38 TG, at what point does the 32 loose it's edge??

Notices

Rough water: 32 skater vs 38 TG, at what point does the 32 loose it's edge??

Old 07-29-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro1
Go buy a Top Gun lol.

The skater on the right is 368 with 525s and sixes, the one that left the 38 Top gun in rough water in the ocean.

The yellow cat is a Skater and the white and red is another 36 Skater. Comparing a 38 Top Gun to a 32 Skater is awesome.

Obviously you can not compare a 36 Skater to 38 V lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpHTsqgb5EE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ep6-B8y994
Who's 90mph Gun in the background? Thing was plowing through some big swell and AIRIN' IT OUT!!!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 200 Likes on 54 Posts

Never can figure out why people take their hands off the wheel to adjust trim that's directly above the hand on the throttles. Espeacially when you're not even close to coming out of the water and need to work the sticks.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thisistank
Who's 90mph Gun in the background? Thing was plowing through some big swell and AIRIN' IT OUT!!!
Yup looks like
he was toying with the video boat,this is a good video of both below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQwRXOAwI6k
Old 07-29-2013, 09:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

I would take the V-bottom on Lake Erie.... there is a reason we have only like 3 cats around that I have seen in western Erie...a 55MTI, 36 Skater, and a 30 something, .... on our poker runs unless its 2ft or less, the V's have always walked them.... gets hairy on west Erie slop, ocean or deeper lake may be different.....unless you been out on Erie... you have no idea... this isn't Loto or the Ozarks...
Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

I think your. button on your computer sticks............................................ ................ lol
Old 07-29-2013, 09:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
The 32 B will smoke the T/G in almost any seas.... but why are you comparing something 6 feet shorter? How about a 36 or 38 Skater against a 38 T/G?.

Point of fact...in 1981 a very talented guy named Willie Diaz won the Sport CLass (Twin injected Keith Eickhert Aluminum small blocks)Offshore National and World Championships (When that meant something) in a 36 Cigarette, "El Boss". The following winter, he bought a 30 Shadow Cat and powered it identically (Saccenti rigged both boats). He kept both boats for the following season thinking he would use the Cig in "rough" races, of which there were plenty in those days ( Great Lakes and Atlantic Ocean with 30 mile laps and races all over 100 miles in length.... He thought he might use the cat for a few calmer days. He tried the cat in the first race in New Orleans on Lake Pontchartrain (again 30+ mi laps)......and never raced the Cigarette again. He won the World and National Championships again that year and the videos of that boat

To me the real question is not if the cat is better...it is whether you can handle it in a reasonable fashion instead of pushing it over its limit to try and demolish some guy in a slower Vee. Simply go one mph faster and shortly you will be well away from him.....

Nuff said..
T2x
I agree with Rich
Old 07-30-2013, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
The 32 B will smoke the T/G in almost any seas.... but why are you comparing something 6 feet shorter? How about a 36 or 38 Skater against a 38 T/G?.
Because that's probably what's in the budget. A 32B with #6 might not be in the budget and if that isn't, a 36 or 38 certainly isn't either... Which is why I believe he's asking about a 32A with 6's vs a TG in the rough water.

Again, the 32A will not run (safely) in bigger water with a TG. A 32B probably will and a 36 or 38 will no doubt walk all over it, but this isn't the question the OP is asking.

To me the real question is not if the cat is better...it is whether you can handle it in a reasonable fashion instead of pushing it over its limit to try and demolish some guy in a slower Vee.
Nuff said..
T2x
A don't know that Adam has a lot of seat time in a mid size cat, but I will say when they had their 42X last season, he was quite responsible every time I saw him out with that boat.