Notices

another boat wreck

Old 07-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I run a 200 ft offshore supply vessel. I make a whopping 10knts on the dash. Lighting can be confusing but only when mixed in with background lighting. On occasion to be sure I slow down and use binoculars and a second set of eyes to make certain things out at night. I also have spotlights and radars.

The issue here isn't lighting. It is more to do with running at speed at night. Not easy to do. You can't light commercial vessels up like Christmas trees as it affects night vision. The idea is to maintain your night vision. The brighter the light the worse it is.

Responsible operations of any motorized form of transportation including boats, cars and motorcycles says when in limited visibility SLOW DOWN. Add on top of that the alcohol and you have a tragedy that is easily

avoidable.

I agree with lights affecting night vision, but, what about something reflective? Like the red/silver reflective tape they use on trailers? I realize a bow light wouldn't throw enough light to reflect off it, but, a spotlight, flashlight, etc would. If nothing else it would be easier for a lookout to see.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have done a bunch of overnight sailing. When you get into the outerbanks and stuff like that the fishing boats are lit up like christmas trees. The problem with that is they can ruin your night vision as well as you can no longer see their navigation lights. This makes it impossible to know what direction they are headed. Next thing you know they are on top of you and pissed. It is easier now with radar and you can track them, but prior to us having radar on my fathers boat it was 9 or so hours of stress. Even with the radar it is stressfull due to the number of boats that can be out there.

I have also seen barges out on the water with zero lights on them. All black and no lights does not give other boats much of a chance!

This type of story sucks. Hate to see so many lives ruined over what started out to be a fun thing.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
I run a 200 ft offshore supply vessel. I make a whopping 10knts on the dash. Lighting can be confusing but only when mixed in with background lighting. On occasion to be sure I slow down and use binoculars and a second set of eyes to make certain things out at night. I also have spotlights and radars.

The issue here isn't lighting. It is more to do with running at speed at night. Not easy to do. You can't light commercial vessels up like Christmas trees as it affects night vision. The idea is to maintain your night vision. The brighter the light the worse it is.

Responsible operations of any motorized form of transportation including boats, cars and motorcycles says when in limited visibility SLOW DOWN. Add on top of that the alcohol and you have a tragedy that is easily avoidable.

I do not think I agree with you regarding lighting not being the issue. They said the barge was mored to the Tappan Zee Bridge and that it did have so called lighting but how bright or noticeable was this lighting? Was the driver using the red and green bridge marker lights for navigation? When looking up how well to you see things on the horizon that isn't well marked?

"He said the barge, one of several loaded with construction material for an upcoming replacement of the bridge, was equipped with lights, but it was still difficult to see on the water so late at night."

By the looks of the damage to the bow it does not appear the boat was traveling at "high" speeds. Even at 20-25 mph hitting something solid will throw anyone that isn't prepared for impact.

Sadly this is an accident, like most that could have been avoided.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I do not think I agree with you regarding lighting not being the issue. They said the barge was mored to the Tappan Zee Bridge and that it did have so called lighting but how bright or noticeable was this lighting? Was the driver using the red and green bridge marker lights for navigation? When looking up how well to you see things on the horizon that isn't well marked?

"He said the barge, one of several loaded with construction material for an upcoming replacement of the bridge, was equipped with lights, but it was still difficult to see on the water so late at night."

By the looks of the damage to the bow it does not appear the boat was traveling at "high" speeds. Even at 20-25 mph hitting something solid will throw anyone that isn't prepared for impact.

Sadly this is an accident, like most that could have been avoided.

Your more than welcome to disagree. I stand by the issue being nighttime and running at speed. Even at 30 mph. If visibility is an issue. SLOW DOWN. If you have to run off plane at idle speed because of visibility then do so. I sympathize with the lives lost and injuries to those due to a negligent operator.

Lets add it up.

Alcohol (yes I drink but do so responsibly)
Nighttime (meaning low visibility)
Running to fast for the conditions.

Pure negligence on the operators part.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this barge was morred, regardless of light, if the barge wasn't there would they not have hit what the barge was morred to? Not being a smart ass, just asking. With all the mention of the lighting on the barge, if it was morred to a bridge, and they hit it, were they not too close to the bridge? I don't know the area, just asking...
Old 07-29-2013, 02:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=low_psi;3966992]If this barge was morred, regardless of light, if the barge wasn't there would they not have hit what the barge was morred to? Not being a smart ass, just asking. With all the mention of the lighting on the barge, if it was morred to a bridge, and they hit it, were they not too close to the bridge? I don't know the area, just asking...[/QUOTE

We don't know what the impact angle was but it is quite possible to think that you are in a possition to pass safely under the bridge but if the barge is tied up to it then your would need to be over what ever the width of the barge is to clear through. I don't know how wide this barge was but I would think 20 feet is not out of the question?
Old 07-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agree with a lot of what was said by you guys. He is going to be made an example of and will be going to jail .But I can understand the circumstances that may have led to this. I kept my fountain on the Hudson for 9 years and was out at all hours of the night. He hit all low platform barge being used near the tappanzee bridge,he didn't use the channel when going under the bridge and hit the barge. Maybe the last time he went through there was nothing there.Its not a friendly river at night with tug boats pushing big barges all the time Don't compare your lake at night to the Hudson river.You are boating in a shipping channel .
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

The driver was going back to Piermont and the barges are moored just outside of the marina on the North side of the bridge. The barges are not in the middle of the Hudson since tugs and barges are going up and down the river all day. Nor are the barges lit very well, they are kinda close to the bridge where the road comes low, not much of a clearance to go under the bridge at that part of the bridge.

Yes alcohol was involved and nothing is going to bring back the two lives lost, may they rest in peace. The groom is a teacher at an elementary shool in my hometown.

Last edited by SpeedGirl; 07-29-2013 at 08:10 PM.