Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use >

Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use

Notices

Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use

Old 08-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Toterhomes hauling boats or in commercial use

I am posting this to see if anyone has TRUE knowledge of rules and regulations concerning towing with Toterhomes, such as Renegades, United Specialities, or Haulmark converted trucks. My friend and I were attending the Syracuse Nationals last month and he got stopped for running the weight station. He was driving a Renegade toterhome pulling a trailer that is uses to sell Impala parts. The registration on the toter is House Car, (motorhome). He was issued 8 tickets, no DOT, no health card, running the scales, improper registration, no IFTA sticker, improper license to operate the unit, no log book, and even got a ticket for a passenger who had CDL license but no log book. He was made to sit for 10 hours because of no log book. He was issued the drivers license by the NC drivers license bureau after driving the toterhome and trailer and taking the test. He was given a CDL truck trailer drivers license, not tractor trailer, because he was not driving a tractor trailer.
Does anyone on here know the rules about driving from state to state without having to be a tractor trailer driver? We do not get paid for driving, we just haul our parts to car shows. Any good lawyers in Pa? Roger
Old 08-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The laws regarding toters are real loose and not understood by many. I think your bigest problem is that your buddy is in reality towing comercial. He is towing a trailer that he uses as a retail business and makes money off. Therefore even if the toter is registered as a motorhome the cops can still get you for the retail business and all the DOT that goes along with it. Another consideration is the advertising on the trailer. Does he have anything on the trailer to promote the business or advertise? If so, then he better be prepaired to stop at the scales and get tickets with out the proper documentation.

We also tow with a Kenworth T2000 toter and run at over 85' in total lenght. We do not have DOT and run under motorhome laws. But, we no advertising, the toter and trailer are all white and we carry no retail supplies. We never stop at scales and have never been pulled over in the last five years.

We were also at the Nats. We're there every year with our automotive speed shop and this year was a pretty good crowd considering some of the weather. Sorry to hear that you guys had so much trouble.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered

Thanks redwhite. We were in front of him with Chevelle parts and we did not get stopped. Both of us have wraps with advertising on the trailers. I am seriously considering removing the wrap. Roger
Old 08-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

if you are driving a truck (dually, half ton, semi, etc) that has any company name on it or the trailer you are considered commercial and have to follow all the commercial rules. that said it is also at the dicretion of the law dog that stops you. if you are hauling your own race boat to a race with your suburban with sponsor names on the boat you can be considered commercial because you receive or could receive compensation (prize money or even a trophy depending on the mood of the cop). if you are a passenger in a commercial vehicle you have to have a signed letter from the owner of the equipment stating that you are allowed to ride or have a cdl and log book. that said it is up to the guys in the scale house or the one following you. if they are trying to bump up revenue they can write you a book. in recent years they have started cracking down on RV's, totorhomes, etc. I tell everyone to leave names off of their trucks if they want to avoid hassles.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

Back in the racing days we would leave trailers blank and put NOT FOR HIRE on the truck and blow past all the scales
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 PM
Registered

Your buddy was driving a Commercial Vehicle. It was only a matter of time before he got busted. If you are carrying a trailer full of parts that you are going to sell, for your business, you are driving a commercial rig. Blowing past scales in any size rig (even a pickup), that is covered in company names and advertisements is asking for trouble. Keep everything low key, and the NOT FOR HIRE plastered on the sides, and you should be able to sneak by (illegally if you are heading to swap meets, etc. to sell things for profit.) I have seen plenty of Toterhomes with smoking brakes and drivers way over their head on the road that I for one think they should NOT be able to be registered as RV's, unless the driver has a Class A CDL. Same thing goes for the latest generation of giant diesel pusher and class A motorhomes, especially those towing trailers.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 893 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
Your buddy was driving a Commercial Vehicle. It was only a matter of time before he got busted. If you are carrying a trailer full of parts that you are going to sell, for your business, you are driving a commercial rig. Blowing past scales in any size rig (even a pickup), that is covered in company names and advertisements is asking for trouble. Keep everything low key, and the NOT FOR HIRE plastered on the sides, and you should be able to sneak by (illegally if you are heading to swap meets, etc. to sell things for profit.) I have seen plenty of Toterhomes with smoking brakes and drivers way over their head on the road that I for one think they should NOT be able to be registered as RV's, unless the driver has a Class A CDL. Same thing goes for the latest generation of giant diesel pusher and class A motorhomes, especially those towing trailers.
this is the reason they have started going after RV's and the such. the thinking is that a 40K lbs vehicle is still a 40K lbs vehicle regardless of it being business or pleasure. I have a class A cdl even though I dont drive any big trucks any more. If I jump in a big pusher RV or toterhome or other at least I have the right license.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

"USING A TRAILER TO SELL IMPALA PARTS" So he is selling things, he is a commercial vehicle. Sounds like he tried to pull a fast one and got caught.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Registered

We both understand the rules. Driving a commercial tractor trailer 200-300,000 miles per year is one thing, but driving to a car show once every other month, driving one day to get there, staying in the RV for three days and then driving back for the truck to sit for 3 weeks before using it again, plus the fact we are not getting paid to drive like truck drivers do, I think it is stupid to make us file all the heavy highway usage, IFTA, DOT, ect. the same as professional drivers do. Last year we drove around 10,000 miles total. I am in the mind set to unwrap my trailer like some have suggested. I have been using my Renegade since 2001 and the ONLY time I got stopped was when we went into the weight station in the first place. Since going into weight stations I have paid over 2000 dollars in fines, when before this year we have never been stopped.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

just out of curiosity (because i dont know) is it really that hard to shoot through a scale? Are there things that go along with it that make it a particular hassle? Sure sounds like its a hassle to not go through them. I just always wondered because i i have seen and heard this discussion before although being a self employed business owner i do understand it is sometimes best to just stay under the radar on some stuff.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.