Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
OT: anyone ever had a Grand Cherokee 5.2 -96... >

OT: anyone ever had a Grand Cherokee 5.2 -96...

Notices

OT: anyone ever had a Grand Cherokee 5.2 -96...

Old 08-03-2002, 03:09 PM
Thomas

Default OT: anyone ever had a Grand Cherokee 5.2 -96...

...and would be willing to share some of your experience with that year's model. I'm looking to buy one and woud greatly appreciate some comments.

/Thomas

Old 08-04-2002, 08:56 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SUcky, sucky, sucky. Run away very fast!!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I saw your post yesterday when you first posted it. I didn't want to be the first to reply for fear of getting ripped for my opinion. And remember, it's just my opinion.

I agree 100% with inspech........RUN!

They idle about as smooth as a Top Fuel dragster.

Buddy has been a mechanic for years. He cringes every time he sees one pull into his shop.

Buck
Old 08-04-2002, 10:41 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Shoot, all the techs I know have a party when one of those pulls in-big repair bills are the norm!!!
Old 08-04-2002, 10:52 PM
Charter Member #34
Charter Member

I bought two 1996 Limited's with all the bells and buttons. One for the wife and the other for me.

I have owned a total of eight Jeeps from CJ-5's, 7's Cherokees and Grand Cherokee's.

Overall I loved all of them. Just hate the styling anymore. Crysler has them looking like mini vans on steriods.

The 96 I drove ran GREAT, the only problem was the electric windows and door locks. They had a mind of there own and only worked when and how they wanted two. The memory system on the seats and mirrors did not work well either. The dealer finally just told me that they could not fix it.

The wide's never had any problems. We gave it to my mother-in-law three years ago and she drives it every day. It has around 80,000 trouble free miles.

They are a little small, but very capable. There are some good ones out there.

Good Luck
Old 08-04-2002, 11:14 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a 94 and 96 Limited with V8. Loved them both. The 96 was tighter and better on gas than the 94. We had a problem with the heated seated. After three tryies they finally fixed it and that was the only time it was in the shop.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:24 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I'm sure there have to be some good ones out there. Seems like lots of people buy them. And I think that you guys may have different driving/maintenance habits than the vehicles I look at for extended warranty claims. They also seem to hold up for about 40-50 k and then really go to Hell-usually nailing the poor schlep that buys it used or his warranty company

If you buy one that's had lots of repairs already you might be o.k.-I wouldn't gamble.
Old 08-05-2002, 07:55 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by insptech
...They also seem to hold up for about 40-50 k and then really go to Hell-.....If you buy one that's had lots of repairs already you might be o.k.-I wouldn't gamble.
I had a 94 with the 5.2 (318) that did pretty much what Ted says. At about 50k, it started: new LR axle/bearing - $900, new fuel pump - $350, A/C rebuild - $300, stereo - $250, etc. At 85k I traded it for a 2001 with the new 4.7 V8. I'm hoping that the reports of improved quality turn out to be true. I like the way they ride/drive, and it does a great job pulling my 5,000 pound boat/trailer.
Old 08-05-2002, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a '95 that I sold back in November. 115K - $5500.00
Overall it was pretty dam good to me.
AC was fixxed by dealer atleast 6 or 7 times and they still couldnt get it. That started day 1
Viscuss clutch went at 60k
Fuel Pump 65k
Trans rebiult at 75k, there aparrently is an o-ring that gets burned when it is welded at the factory, most if not all have this problem in '95.
Oh yes, the one thing that really pissed me off was that it would puke the brake pads. yep...step on the brakes and all was good, the next time you hit the breaks there was no pad..it was gone.
Put several sets of roaters in it. I dont know why it did this, tryed differnt after market pads and roaters..same result.
Thats my experience..
Good Luck
Old 08-05-2002, 08:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The new 4.7's run great and they do have a new trans so the verdict is still out.....Be RELIGIOUS about oil changes-the 5.2/5.9 really sludges up fast and the 4.7 may be starting to show some signs also.

Quick Reply: OT: anyone ever had a Grand Cherokee 5.2 -96...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.