Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice. >

Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice.

Notices

Run over by a 53 foot carver. Need advice.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

What I want to know is if the country is broke, why is the coast guard throwing parties, somebodies boat gets smashed and the local cops are the ones to respond???
Old 08-12-2013, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. You may now have an Eye Witness that is in many ways better than an attorney. Locate any witnesses and get their contact information while this is fresh.
2. If you are on here writing about it odds are they (insurance company) have or will see it. So clean up your grammar and use things like because rather than cuz.
3. if you have a trip planned ask the insurance company to rent you a boat. I doubt they will, but if you do not ask it is hard to say you were damaged later on.
Steve
Old 08-12-2013, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
if you file with your ins. wont their lawyer go after the other ins company?? Though your rates will prolly go up...
Depends on how much money is at stake. I had a new Cadillac CTS V the valet parked it in front of the restaurant, guy in an FJ hit it so hard on the front wheel and fender that it caused a little under 10K and fled the scene, good samaritan got the the guys plate number and description cops came filed a police report Chicago cops did nothing but send me a document that said I could pursue a civil suit but they weren't doing anything more as the douche bag lived out of their jurisdiction and said he wasn't driving that night (my guess is they called him on the phone and asked a few questions and called it good). Auto Owners would do nothing as far as going after him to pay no matter how hard I pressed them.

Bottom line even when you do everything the way you should you can still get screwed.

To the OP best of luck to you in getting this rectified.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice. I probibly won't get an attorney, due to the fact that I know the guy and we have the same friends so I don't think he would like to have a bad rep. I also talked to him in person and he said that if his insurance doesn't come thru he will so it looks like it will work its self out.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 99 Likes on 53 Posts

Get stuff in writing also. Verbal contracts/ promises are worthless in court
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How this stuff works is your insurance Co will pay out to you - then they do everything they can to recover the amount from the at fault parties insurer on the backend.

If the boat is total loss, they should pay out your Agreed value less the deductible on the policy. You'll only get the the money you have into it IF you raised your Agreed value to match your investment in the boat... From reading the OP posts - For some reason I'm getting the impression this was not done.

IF you went after a low premium policy, its likely the boat is insured for "Book" value - which is what you'll be paid, less deductible.

I could be wrong on all this, but I did work for a big insurance company for years... They were not as "on your side" as they claimed.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forget a lawyer unless you already know he and his insurance company are refusing to pay(doesn't sound like it). Get as many witness's on file, which means contact info and statements, and then humbly pursue it with him. Especially if you know the guy. A 53 isn't cheap, so the guy will have the money to set things straight(mostly) with you, if his insurance won't. Explain to him that it cost you not only the boat, but a vacation panned in advance with family and friends. While you won't get compensation for that, it is one more card in your favor. If you get push back, that is the time to pull out witness's. Otherwise, no need to mention them. Be smart, polite, and precise and you'll likely get through. Went through a much smaller but similar claim with a doctor who came off shift rattled. I narrowly avoided hitting him but sacrificed the passenger corner of the car. Did exactly this and it was all taken care of.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thebossbultsma
I have full coverge insurance and so does he. I'm dealing with his insurance company as we slew I but there super slow and there being dicks. I'm getting up set cuz I have a vacation planned and I can't go on it any more. Because my boat is taking on to much water to put it in the water any more. I guess ill cal me aterny and see what he says.
dude you have ins,,put in a clame and let them fight for you,,,,i reareded a guy (just a lite tap) and he tryed to sue me for 100k..the appointed attorney blew this guy out of court and i got 3k from his ins.(counter sue).my ins only paid for the light i knoched out of his bumper..lol..let your ins fight for you...make sure you have all the recipes.for everything that was done to the boat,,if you paid 3k for the boat tell them six plus the sales tax..
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phughes69
Get stuff in writing also. Verbal contracts/ promises are worthless in court
+1 i found that out the hard way on my snowmobile and he was a friend of a friend..his kid did 4k worth of damage to my sled and the father said he would pay for it..Yeah! rite!..
Old 08-12-2013, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by flysfloatsor
How this stuff works is your insurance Co will pay out to you - then they do everything they can to recover the amount from the at fault parties insurer on the backend.

If the boat is total loss, they should pay out your Agreed value less the deductible on the policy. You'll only get the the money you have into it IF you raised your Agreed value to match your investment in the boat... From reading the OP posts - For some reason I'm getting the impression this was not done.

IF you went after a low premium policy, its likely the boat is insured for "Book" value - which is what you'll be paid, less deductible.

I could be wrong on all this, but I did work for a big insurance company for years... They were not as "on your side" as they claimed.
what he is saying is put a plain jane bbc in the boat if it is going to be totaled and keep your fresh 496 as you wont get paid extra for having a fresh stroker motor

Last edited by ratman; 08-12-2013 at 05:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.