Notices

carb intake manifolds

Old 08-03-2002, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb intake manifolds

What manifolds are being run on 454 engines turning 4900rpm? I am not concerned with the dual plane-single plane controversy, just would like to know what you guys are using successfully. Thanks for any help.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:14 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What heads are you using?
Old 08-03-2002, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I run the dart but their is new tech out there.
Old 08-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Intolerant1

I run a Weiand Stealth and am happy...otherwise stock.

Old 08-04-2002, 05:18 AM
Registered

I run Edelbrock torker II's due to clearance problems. Good on the top end with large oval port heads. Grand Island huh. Thats my old stomping ground.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shadow:

Don't take this the wrong way, but it doesn't matter what "everybody else" is using. Every body has a little different combination, and requirements from them what may make me happy, may not make the next guy. You need to find what is going to work for you, and your combination. Start out by making a list of all of your engine combination, (compressions ratio, type of cylinder heads, cam profile, etc.) your boat specs, and drive info, then figure out where you want your boat to run. Now armed with this information you can contact the different intake manifold manufactures like Brodix, Dart, Edelebrock, and get an accurate recommendation from there tech people for your boat.

Doug
Old 08-04-2002, 08:15 AM
Registered

I went to
WWW.Greenwoodchevy.com
I bought 2 of the polished edelbrock performer manifolds for 150 each (power plus intake is a direct copy of the performer)
so far so good but only testing on them
I think intakes are not going to sway your RPM range that much, that is more the carb, cam, prop combo you have and what size heads your running
the intake is going to have the least amount of effect on RPM
Jason
Old 08-04-2002, 08:32 AM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

RumRunner, BINGO you took the words right out of my mouth. I think the carb, set up correctly is more important than an intake selection. On just a stock small Big Block I
I've been using the twisted torker intake for 20 years and happy with the results. The stock LS6 intakes works good too. Opinions are like *******s everyone has one and they all stink.

Intakes
Old 08-04-2002, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Shadow,

I think the Wieand "Stealth" is an excellent intake as well as the Edlebrock "Air Gap"----both are dual plane. In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if you're running a rectangle port or oval port head , you will still get your best performance and throttle reponse from a dual plane intake especially in a 454 turning 4900RPM. If you're running a rectangle port head then even the stock GM dual plane intake will work well. just my .02 Hope it all works out for you.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:00 PM
Registered

Default Replys to manifold question

Probably should have included more about my engines, but thanks for your suggestions. Engines are 468c.i.,9-1 compression,Merlin oval port heads,Ultradyne 288/296 H12 cam,EMI manifolds. I am now using Weiand Action Plus and feel they are not as good as a stock manifold. Carbs are presently Holley 750 ,vacuum secondaries. Any more help out there? Thanks to all.

Quick Reply: carb intake manifolds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.