Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Good ramps north of Chicago >

Good ramps north of Chicago

Notices

Good ramps north of Chicago

Old 08-03-2002, 10:50 PM
Intolerant1

Default Good ramps north of Chicago

Might be heading for the big pond tomorrow. Southwest light wind means nice (my definition) water. Are there any ramps north of the city but south of Waukegan worth using? Enough water? How long is the trip from Alsip going out south of the city to the lake ? Maybe Wells or West Beach not sure how to find it by water but I have GPS if somebody has coordinates ? Havnt goen that way, we always go north to Navy Pier.

Thanx

Last edited by Intolerant1; 08-03-2002 at 10:58 PM.

Old 08-04-2002, 02:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Intolerant1,
Alsip has been empty the last few weekends. Maybe a quarter of the parking lot is being used.
It is only 12-14 miles from Alsip to the lake. As long as the idiots that were running the lock this morning aren’t' there you'll be fine. The two guys running it in the evening were the best coming home. There were some debris floating in the river on the lakeside of the lock so keep an eye out. It is about 16 miles to Wells Street after you hit the lake. Wells is N41degrees37.450 W087degrees13.716.

Another option is Beer can beach which is just north of Hammond.
Dan
Old 08-04-2002, 11:50 AM
Intolerant1

Thanx, headin out now. Putting in downtown and then who knows where ?????

Old 08-05-2002, 09:58 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts
Talking

i know its late but for future ref.
Diversey is nice. Its a bit narrow but it can be done no problem. they extended the ramps last year i believe with bridge grateing. And its like $15 to launch. They have good parking if you get there early. And dont bother on holidays unless your getting there at like 7am!!! will be packed!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-05-2002, 12:33 PM
Intolerant1

Well I can tell you that Burnum sucked. I have a broken toe from walking down the ramp with my winch strap in search of my bow hook. Slipped on the ramp and went head first into the water.

Never again

Old 08-05-2002, 01:39 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

ouch! no thanks! I dropped off Zoomnfun once there and thought that place was cramped! I like diversey way better! Even if i have to fight traffic a bit from the expressway!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 08-05-2002, 01:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put in at Highland Park this weekend, no sand and plenty of water. You park right at the ramp and not a lot of people to f with your stuff. nice thing about it you have a real nice ride to Chicago. Wondering why you want to come this far north though. I think Evanston is permit only and don't even think about Winnetka.