Heated v Cold Winter Storage >

Heated v Cold Winter Storage

Notices

Heated v Cold Winter Storage

Old 08-17-2013, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated v Cold Winter Storage

We're looking into heated storage at our Formula dealer in northern, MI this winter, as opposed to cold. We have quotes for both. Even taking into account the reduced cost for prep work with the heated, it is still a grand or more. Both would be indoors.

Is heated worth it? And why or why not?

Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I don't see a difference in the prep. You have to prep a boat for heated storage to weather safely if the power goes out; which tends to happen in winter storms.
If they are providing you with a SLA/guarantee that the temperature will not drop below freezing, and will be liable for any freeze damage if so, that's a different story. I've never heard of such though.

The only significant difference is if you have access and plan to work on the boat at all.
1) It's nicer to work in the heat vs. the cold.
2) It's a lot friendlier on the vinyl and other materials to be walking on them when they are warm vs. cold. (cold vinyl can crack, especially with age on it)
Old 08-17-2013, 08:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. We pressed them on the power outage issue. They have redundant temperature alarms and backup generators to run their propane heat, so we are comfortable with that.

Of course, we could move south to avoid the issue entirely and boat all year!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

We keep our boats in our heated hangar and do not winterize them or do any winter prep except leave them plugged in to the charger. About once a month I pick a nice, sunny, above fleezing day, back the boat out and run the engines.