Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Use of aviation gas in boats >

Use of aviation gas in boats

Notices

Use of aviation gas in boats

Old 08-20-2013, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Crossett, thanks for the details. I should have known about the higher octane and colder combustion temp, but?
Are you on Pool Canyon?
If so, it is nice and cosy in there.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

How hard is it to just do some dyno pulls with and give some real hard numbers and findings instead of all this speculation???
Old 08-20-2013, 08:35 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Check out what Shell has to offer in race gas or Rocket brand race gas as well as VP Racing. What I have learned about running Av gas is not good for cars, bikes and boats because 1. Av gas has a different specific gravity can or will cause rich or lean conditions, 2 its formulated for higher altitude running conditions. 3 its formulated for slow steady rpm running conditions.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 292 Likes on 138 Posts

All of the racing at Reno is done right on the deck, so what is your take on these fuels? They are def not mixed to run at attitude....

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469679.html
Old 08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mopie
Crossett, thanks for the details. I should have known about the higher octane and colder combustion temp, but?
Are you on Pool Canyon?
If so, it is nice and cosy in there.
I don't have a place in pool canyon, but I boat around there a pretty good amount.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:23 AM
Registered

I have been mixing av gas with pump gas forever. In my new boat Teague recommends mixing av with pump, my motors are designed to run on 91 but are on the edge and just a bad tank of fuel from detonating. That said, I run 40/60 av to pump and add some marvel oil in as well. Current motors are injected 5 litre whipples

Last edited by Don Johnson; 08-20-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:38 AM
Registered

I buy Avgas at the local airport by the 55 gal drum for my "ultralight" Lol (that I dont have) Have Mixed it up to 50/50 and boat runs awesome. BBC's 9/7/1 comp, alum heads, pretty big rollers. I have WAY more confidence in the quality of mixture in AVGAS than the crap you gonna buy at any gas station or pump.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
How hard is it to just do some dyno pulls with and give some real hard numbers and findings instead of all this speculation???
Exactly. You can tune to run AvGas, but after all the time and effort the results are usually the same as with a good quality premium pump gasoline. Unless you're running high compression / boost, the octane will not help, and might actually hurt. If you are running high compression etc. there are better fuel choices in my opinion. It used to be real easy to get 100LL 'back in the day' but the EPA has cracked down quite a bit on selling fuel for non aviation uses. Unless you have easy access to it (302Sport ) it's more of a hassle than it's worth IMHO.

My all original 63 Cadillac LOVES the lead, and high boost air cooled street motors seem to like it too, but it's not without it's headaches. Honestly the only reason I ran it is because it was very very easy for me to obtain.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 302Sport
All of the racing at Reno is done right on the deck, so what is your take on these fuels? They are def not mixed to run at attitude....

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/page469679.html
That is some wicked stuff... I can hear the rednecks now... "I Put some of that there 160 octane jet fuel in my 305 'camino. Put a $100 bill on the dash..."

The reality is it probably couldn't even get it ti fire!