Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Sharkey, Steve1, Glass guys (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30186-sharkey-steve1-glass-guys.html)

Audiofn 08-04-2002 09:57 PM

Sharkey, Steve1, Glass guys

Do not feel left out GlassDave I already talked to you :D:D

My fathers boat had a textured surface on the deck. The marina sanded it all off to get it ready for paint, and then quoted my father a HUGE amount to finish the job!!!! PISS ME OFF!!!! Well he is pulling the boat as the boat is not worth the amount that they are saying it is going to cost now (about 10-15K) So we are trying to figure out our best alternatives for getting the texture back in the deck. So far I have seen 4 alternatives

One is put sand down and lay the paint over the top.

Two is to get a Pettit or alike paint that has the grip in it

Three is to get this stuff called Treadmaster. You just glue it to your flat deck

four is to make some template that we drop on the gell as it sets up to make the pattern again.

If anyone has any experience with this we would greatly apreciate any input on the best way to do it. Obviously the ideal is to get things back to stock, but unfortunatly I have no idea how to do this. The other alternative is to get it in paint and have some one else to the grip part. This was extimated at 2 grand. At leaste that is a little easier to swallow.

Jon

Steve 1 08-04-2002 10:04 PM

Audiofn simple use awl grip Griptex !Mix with Paint and Spray it on ,Just tape off the bright work (borders)
It is made of tiny plastic spheres that the paint can enter and you do not get the small brown spots as the surface traffic wears it down a little.
Have Fun:)

Audiofn 08-04-2002 10:06 PM

Steve thanks for the info!!! :D:D Just one question. Does this Awlrip additive leave a surface that will rip your skin and foul weather gear apart on?

Jon

Steve 1 08-04-2002 10:15 PM

Audiofn
The fine is great stuff .I had every nonskid known to man on my shop floor and sample of the Griptex and every Captain chose that over anything else hands down with even soap water .. The trick I did was to shoot it with a clear really Cool!
The cheapest was the best in that case!
:)

Audiofn 08-04-2002 10:17 PM

Cool I will give that a look. So they make differnt textures? And you found the fine to be the best? Did I read that right?

Jon

Steve 1 08-04-2002 10:22 PM

Right the Course stuff I do not know if that product is still sold ,But the Fine is also these were barefoot Light composite Fly fishing Boats .One of the Captians was Flip Pallot he gave great input !:)

Steve 1 08-04-2002 10:30 PM

Listen if you use the spray system do a test panel Do not flood the surface you will see the fan needed and pressure by simple test work also .
Hold your masking a 1/4 " or so off the border and then 1/2"Fine line last !!Flag the ends so you can pull only the Tape that way it does not get glued in and later after it becomes Tack free undo the Masking.:)

glassdave 08-04-2002 10:53 PM

ya got me on that one dude :D :D :rolleyes: . . i read the topic on the gen. discussion page an thought "hey . . what the....i'm a glass guy an you didnt ask for me :( " than i opened it an i got a good laugh out of the first line. that was a good one :D

oh by the way that stuff steve is talking about is the same stuff my buddy uses. i saw him on the poker run this weekend. says he likes it alot. i think i will save a copy of steves tips as i have not used it yet either. got a donzi swimplatform coming up, think i'll try it there. thanks man. :cool: :cool:

Audiofn 08-04-2002 11:41 PM

Ya Dave I knew that would get ya :D:D I have to keep ya happy however I may need ya soon :D:D

Jon

SHARKEY-IMAGES 08-05-2002 12:12 AM

Jon , Sorry I couldn't get to reply sooner. Ditto on what Steve 1 has posted. One other note though...If spraying it is out of your league or you don't have the facilities to spray, Rolling it on works well too! You will just have to buy the "Rolling/Brush" additive for the paint instead of the spray additive.
Good Luck!!!

P.S. At least they got the hard part over with....:D :D :D (sanding off the non-skid)