Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT: Waterproof Watches (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30204-ot-waterproof-watches.html)

speedbump 08-05-2002 07:15 AM

OT: Waterproof Watches

As hubby has now lost about the 5th watch to water damage and his birthday is coming shortly, I figure it's time to get him the best waterproof watch ever. Anybody have any suggestions about the best ones? I figure some of the divers out there probably have a suggestion or two. Don't want large and bulky but definately need waterproof.

Help!

Wildfire 08-05-2002 07:29 AM

TAG Heuer - Had mine for 6 years now and no water problems. Expensive, but not Rolex expensive. Probably in the $300-2000 range.

Shane 08-05-2002 08:27 AM

I have a Rolex Submariner. I have had it since 1994 and love it! The nice thing about it is you can wear dressed up or in shorts and it looks good either way. All stainless with black face is around $2000-$3000 and they can go all teh way to $7000+ in the Submariner line. Breihtling also makes a beautiful watch. Good luck

Padraig 08-05-2002 08:47 AM

I have been very happy with my Luminox, Navy Seal model.

Steve 1 08-05-2002 08:48 AM

I Agree Too Old Plus the TAG keeps real good time ! :)

Iggy 08-05-2002 09:11 AM

There's all kinds and prices out there.
I've had great success with Casio. I bought the first one on 1980 and it remained water resistant until 1998 and I only replaced the battery once in that time period. It had all the usual alarms and timer functions which were used regularly. I did a lot of boating, swimming (no skiing or tubing), work, welding, machining, etc with it. It took a real beating and never let me down. It still has the original band and pins.
My current Casio has, so far, been the same. I use the timer, alarm and memory functions on a daily basis and haven't changed batteries yet. Still water resistant for the past four years. I expect it'll stay that way.
Casio make some very good looking watches. Check'em out. ;)

I may seem cheap recomending a a Casio but I cannot justify spending 2K-3K+ for a Rolex. I know Rolex makes fine watches but to me they're just a status symbol.

freckles 08-05-2002 09:40 AM

Skagen
Between $100 - $500
Marshall Fields carries them
When you replace the battery, get a new gasket.

RickerTX 08-05-2002 10:04 AM

Speedbump,

Leave the shiny watch on the beach. Go with the Casio G-Shock. It's only $60 bucks and will last forever. My curretn G-Shock is 5 years old and has been over 100 feet deep and on the boat many summers now and is still working perfectly. Not as "bling bling" as the TAG or Rolex but much more practical.

Or not.

audacity 08-05-2002 10:11 AM

omega...i think 1500ish and up...dre wears a new alter ego from tag which is very sleek look'n....

if nothing else...make sure it has a good saphire crystal for a face...the SS will scratch prior to the face.

jr 08-05-2002 10:12 AM

Don't believe the water resistance claims. A watch that says 30 Meters isnt for 30 Meters.

I read an article about the water resistance values and this is basically what they said.

30 Meters - safe to get wet if you wash hands with it.

50 Meters - safe for swimming

100 Meters - safe to swim with snorkling

200 Meters - safe for rec diving.

1000 Meters - safe for deep diving.

The numbers were derived from placing the watch under pressure and looking for leaks. The numbers are only theoretical and good for the watch being completely motionless.

Also the government put a restricition on the word "proof" and made them use resistant instead.

Personally I have a Citizen Chronograph, good to 100 meters. I swim and do what ever with it and havent had any problems. I've had it 3 years and still has the original battery and cost about 100 bucks.

Freckles is right, if you have the battery changed the gasket has to be done too.