If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Boats:
    1998 Velocity 280
    Kennesaw, GA

Question OT: Waterproof Watches

As hubby has now lost about the 5th watch to water damage and his birthday is coming shortly, I figure it's time to get him the best waterproof watch ever. Anybody have any suggestions about the best ones? I figure some of the divers out there probably have a suggestion or two. Don't want large and bulky but definately need waterproof.

TAG Heuer - Had mine for 6 years now and no water problems. Expensive, but not Rolex expensive. Probably in the $300-2000 range.

My Boats:
    2009 FORMULA 292
    Lake George, NY it's not called "Queen of American Lakes" for nothin'!
    I have a Rolex Submariner. I have had it since 1994 and love it! The nice thing about it is you can wear dressed up or in shorts and it looks good either way. All stainless with black face is around $2000-$3000 and they can go all teh way to $7000+ in the Submariner line. Breihtling also makes a beautiful watch. Good luck

My Boats:
    Velocity 290 VR- 1
    Lakewood, NY, USA
    I have been very happy with my Luminox, Navy Seal model.

Platinum Member Platinum Member Steve 1's Avatar
    My Boats:
    Slippery when wet!
    Beautiful Fort Lauderdale
    I Agree Too Old Plus the TAG keeps real good time !
    Slippery when wet. "POD" Free Tunnel through Common Sense Engineering

My Boats:
    '88 Formula F-206 LS
    Kissimmee, Florida
    There's all kinds and prices out there.
    I've had great success with Casio. I bought the first one on 1980 and it remained water resistant until 1998 and I only replaced the battery once in that time period. It had all the usual alarms and timer functions which were used regularly. I did a lot of boating, swimming (no skiing or tubing), work, welding, machining, etc with it. It took a real beating and never let me down. It still has the original band and pins.
    My current Casio has, so far, been the same. I use the timer, alarm and memory functions on a daily basis and haven't changed batteries yet. Still water resistant for the past four years. I expect it'll stay that way.
    Casio make some very good looking watches. Check'em out.

I may seem cheap recomending a a Casio but I cannot justify spending 2K-3K+ for a Rolex. I know Rolex makes fine watches but to me they're just a status symbol.
    Last edited by Iggy; 08-05-2002 at 09:30 AM.

My Boats:
    Bill272's Formula 336
    Lake St. Clair, Michigan
    Between $100 - $500
    Marshall Fields carries them
    When you replace the battery, get a new gasket.

Leave the shiny watch on the beach. Go with the Casio G-Shock. It's only $60 bucks and will last forever. My curretn G-Shock is 5 years old and has been over 100 feet deep and on the boat many summers now and is still working perfectly. Not as "bling bling" as the TAG or Rolex but much more practical.

Or not.

My Boats:
    It's how well you go fast
    omega...i think 1500ish and up...dre wears a new alter ego from tag which is very sleek look'n....

if nothing else...make sure it has a good saphire crystal for a face...the SS will scratch prior to the face.

Don't believe the water resistance claims. A watch that says 30 Meters isnt for 30 Meters.

I read an article about the water resistance values and this is basically what they said.

30 Meters - safe to get wet if you wash hands with it.

50 Meters - safe for swimming

100 Meters - safe to swim with snorkling

200 Meters - safe for rec diving.

1000 Meters - safe for deep diving.

The numbers were derived from placing the watch under pressure and looking for leaks. The numbers are only theoretical and good for the watch being completely motionless.

Also the government put a restricition on the word "proof" and made them use resistant instead.

Personally I have a Citizen Chronograph, good to 100 meters. I swim and do what ever with it and havent had any problems. I've had it 3 years and still has the original battery and cost about 100 bucks.

Freckles is right, if you have the battery changed the gasket has to be done too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast