Notices

Cayuga Lake Ny

Old 08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayuga Lake Ny

Im heading out to Cayuga Lake this weekend to do some camping and thought about bringing the boat along with me, just want to know if there is anything to know about boating there. I saw its big on sail boating so not sure if they are powerboat friendly and if they will be standing there with tickets in there hands waiting for me for being loud. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Trevor.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

We launch from the southside of the lake. Ithaca is a lefty liberal looney toon treehugger haven and they hate us but thankfully there are alot of power boaters on the lake with plenty of room for blow boaters and powerboaters. We will be out Saturday and Sunday. We launch from Treman State Marine Park in Ithaca which has a great 8 slot launch and I think it was only $7. There is also an adjacent lot dedicated for trucks with trailers only. So long as you follow the buoys at the mouth of the creek you'll be ok. Once in open water there is alot of room for all. The lake is very deep so the few rocky shoals are pretty close to shore and almost all very well defined with warning buoys. I'd feel safe on this lake with little or no local knowledge then other lakes. The northern side of the lake is where the Cayuga-Seneca canal is and a little more caution should be used navigating that side. Maybe someone else can chime in about the north side of the lake. The lake is roughly 55 miles long and I've only seen the marine patrol closer to the marinas looking for the obviuos drunken jerkoffs. Good boating!

Last edited by Ing; 08-27-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help Ing, We will be in northern Cayuga lake by the looks of it. We are camping at Cayuga state park but maybe we will see you out on the water!!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

So you will launch at the state park where you are camping, west side of lake.

Shoot over to east side, just a few miles south of the park and you will find 'Sandy Cove' with many boats rafted and hanging out. We will be there just not sure on which boat- look for a group of go-fasts and come on over !

On west side of lake, just a few miles south of state park is Wolffy's Grill. Many head to there for dinner on the deck, usually plenty of docking.

What color is your 240 ? Will keep an eye out.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Registered

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for the help Kelly O, my boat is white with light blue going up the sides typical Baja graphics . I will head over that way and keep an eye out for your group and will most likely head there for dinner. Thanks again. Let me know what boat you will be on and ill keep an eye out for you.

trying to get a picture to load of the boat not sure if it will work

Last edited by Champs3; 08-27-2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Ing
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

Kelly O,
Coming from the south side of th lake about how far up to Sandy Cove? Are there any prominent landmarks on shore to the cove? Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Ing
Kelly O,
Coming from the south side of th lake about how far up to Sandy Cove? Are there any prominent landmarks on shore to the cove? Thanks!
From Ithaca it is just over 30 miles, cove is east side just past Frontenac Island ( only island on the lake ).

Noise has not been an issue, couple guys running 850+hp with dry to tip and no hassles.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have all of your safety equipment. A group of us went earlier this summer and the water police were very cool but they do dock right at the boat launch at the campgrounds. The Ranger Rick, the New York State Park Police however were a pain in the ass and had to feel important and powerful and gave us a full safety inspection and lecture the first night we were there and sat watching us on the saturday as well. What a tool!! The lake was great though and we had a blast going to the wineries by boat.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

Is there any other place to launch near by the camp grounds? I have all my safety stuff just would rather avoid them if i can.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Registered

I hope the weather holds up for this weekend!