Notices

Must see lakes??

Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JWay
The Michigan lakes are definitely some of the ones I've been looking at. If you had to chose which one would you pick?
I live in NY but grew up in michigan. Some good lakes would be Charlevoix & Torch. What I would really think you would love would be the inland water way up there http://www.irchamber.com/inlandwaterway.htm little information there. Mullet and Burt lake are huge and would be good enough to go on by themselves. Another neat trip would be the straights of Mackinaw see the bridge, go to mackinaw island. Little more than 500miles but the Thousands islands are probably the coolest single boating area I have been on, get back into the islands and its like a movie.

I have been on the ocean, cruise ships, inland lakes in plenty of ofther states and northern Michigan is bay far the best place to go. Centrally locate yourself and you got two great lakes, hand ful of monster sized lakes all within 30-45 mins drive time. I Would suggest Petoskey as a place to stay, descent city with everything and is close to everything also has a nice State Park. But being the north with the thousand islands included, get past labor day and your on borrowed time for weather.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I think and this point I am leaning towards going to Michigan and trying to hit as many lakes as possible. I am hoping to try somewhere different each year if possible so the New York lakes will definitely go on my list. My only concern with Michigan is that if it is as nice up there as everyone is saying that we will fall in love with it and not go anywhere else in the future.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just did a motorcycle trip through Canada, and crossed back into the U.S. at the high bridge over the thousand islands area. Wow is that beautiful. LOTO is my home lake, but I want to trailer a boat to the 1000 islands and vacation. Know nothing about the power boat friendliness of area, just that it was incredible to see from the bridge. Really liked the people around there too.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chart
Just did a motorcycle trip through Canada, and crossed back into the U.S. at the high bridge over the thousand islands area. Wow is that beautiful. LOTO is my home lake, but I want to trailer a boat to the 1000 islands and vacation. Know nothing about the power boat friendliness of area, just that it was incredible to see from the bridge. Really liked the people around there too.

I have a cottage in the 1000 Islands about 20 mins by water West of that bridge. There is some GREAT boating in the area, lots of stuff to see, TWO poker runs (Alex Bay and 1000 Islands) and you don't have to go very far West to get into Lake Ontario where you have room to run hard/fast for a LONG time without a lot of traffic or headaches from the WP.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

What Michael said. Seems to be boater friendly or at least it has for me the last 3 years. Ive heard of isolated incidents but thats about it with LEO. If you to to 1000islands get a chart, you can stay in the shipping lane and be safe but if you venture off the beaten path you better have a map. Also if you do the 1000 Islands I would recommend waiting till mid to late June to make any trip. July to MID AUG is typically the best weather, we just have had a few weeks in early June be kind of cold and rainy.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I hope to make it up to Charlevoix next summer, looks amazing.

Any recommendations from you locals on some good lodging? Maybe a nice cabin for a week?
Old 08-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by state1310
kentucky is a nice lake , but its not very scenic imo . great for power boats , but not much to do other than be on the lake . the lakes in arkansas are wonderful . norfork is my favorite , but you have ouchita , bull shoals , beaver , and greers ferry . a few other smaller lakes too .all in the ozark or ouchita mountain ranges . clear , cool , deep water with lots of scenery and cliffs for jumping . and lots of other things to in the areas if your not going to spend the entire week on the boat . plus cabins are very inexpensive everywhere i have stayed . not alot of power boats in the area , but i never have any problems . other than basic safety rules there are no speed or noise rules . lots of marinas too
I just spent a week on Kentucky lake in Tennessee and I won't be hurrying back, at least on the section in Tenn. I was on Pickwick 6 or 7 years ago and loved it. The shallows just outside of the river channel were un-nerving, the view of power plants,, chemical refinery's and power lines wasn't what I wanted to see and in a week I did not really see any power boaters just fisherman and tug boats/barges, Smitty
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I just spent a week on Kentucky lake in Tennessee and I won't be hurrying back, at least on the section in Tenn. I was on Pickwick 6 or 7 years ago and loved it. The shallows just outside of the river channel were un-nerving, the view of power plants,, chemical refinery's and power lines wasn't what I wanted to see and in a week I did not really see any power boaters just fisherman and tug boats/barges, Smitty
the north end is somewhat nicer mostly just trees and houses and the quarry . the shallows are scary sometime , when the water is at fool pool its fine . i know what you mean though , and most the power boats are toward the north also . pickwick is an awesome lake been going there for years . no stumps to worry about there still fairly commercial though . great for a weekend wouldnt want to spend a weeks vacation there .
Old 08-28-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts

Lake Tahoe! The most beautiful lake in the country!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:57 AM
Registered

Received 96 Likes on 29 Posts

Winnepausake NH, just got back from there. Very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.