Notices

Battle of Lake Erie

Old 09-03-2013, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

no this would have been a 40ish old carver style -- but not as nice....he came 4 ft from nailing a 50 viking and he was aimed at him -- the viking had no place to go and had to drop it into reverse to keep from hitting him. Reminded us of rodney dangerfield in caddyshack!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

It was pretty insane out there, "release the hounds". Ever get a big express cruiser with your mom and dad, coolers, and a girlfriend out of the water in 3 foot waves? I did!
Old 09-03-2013, 08:24 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
It was pretty insane out there, "release the hounds". Ever get a big express cruiser with your mom and dad, coolers, and a girlfriend out of the water in 3 foot waves? I did!

release the hounds lol . . . thats a good analogy, or "like trying to heard cats" . . .i took my girlfriend and a trained EMT lol

ya know what was funny a couple days prior to the event i looked up the organizers website and saw what they had planned and thought to myself "that is going to be impossible, there is NO WAY they will be able to keep it organized out there" I even told some friends it would be similar to Gasparilla down in FLA. Sure enough it was nuts. We had a great time though and a few times got right in the thick of things up near the Niagra, even though boats were coming every which way i never thought i was in any sort of risk we just made sure to keep moving.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 09-03-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 433 Likes on 193 Posts

Yep, we almost got ranned over. We gave up and went to the Roundhouse.
Old 09-03-2013, 10:18 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It was insane for sure and the water conditions with winds out of the NW weren't helping either. We actually left PIB about an hour before the reenactment and about got ran over a half dozen times. Plus it didn't help I was towing a jet ski back to Catawba. I should of left it at the docks and high tailed it out of there. Would of been a lot less stressful and faster.

Thats the most people and boats I've sen at the bay in the last 5 years I've Ben going. Definitely a great time.
Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by frickstyle
Yep, we almost got ranned over. We gave up and went to the Roundhouse.
Same here. Got some cool pics of the boats under sail, then headed back to the bay.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are headed to Erie, PA this weekend. Hopefully the weather is nice so we can get out and see them.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was a zoo. No organization at all.

It seems like all they would have had to do was set up a decent perimeter beforehand at specific gps coordinates, instead of a bunch of safety boats out there that kept moving. They only had about a year to get the info out to the public.

We were at the northwest end of where they were supposed to end up, and it was crazy when everybody started coming that direction. Finally had enough and got the hell out of there.

It was funny, when we were leaving somebody on the vhf channel goes 'Is it over? Is that it?'.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:08 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

what they should have done was bring all the ships out in one group and keep them that way, they would have had just one perimeter to deal with instead of fifteen. Its a given that the vast majority of boaters are clueless on how to navigate and follow a simple plan never mind the fact that most probably didnt put any more thought into it other then "sure . . . fill the cooler . . . lets go" . How anyone would have not seen this coming is beyond me . . . . .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
"sure . . . fill the cooler . . . lets go" .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.