Skater To Offer Entry-Level Cat In 2014

Old 09-06-2013, 02:27 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Well Pete told me my 338 was entry level a year and a half ago
When we discussed this idea his goal was simply to get the "Average Joe" back in a Skater again. He built a lot of Outboard boats in the day and enjoyed the simplicity of rigging them and getting them out the door.
That said I think he simply wants to maintain customer base. Today's outboard owner is tomorrow's big cat owner. I don't think he has any intentions of retirement and enjoys designing and building our dreams.
amen
Old 09-06-2013, 03:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a real $50K in hard parts there from engines to throttles, batteries, gauges etc..before the boat. With a no name, out of business. dated, heavy questionable to begin with old technology catamaran you bought off craigslist used bare for $20K $70k is entry level. So $30k more for a new latest technology design Skater you did not rig/sort/build yourself seems like a deal to me. Since many owners of larger Skater's have a small one also I am sure in the first few years there will be a waiting list for these.
Steve
Old 09-06-2013, 03:04 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,225 Posts

Originally Posted by skate
Well Pete told me my 338 was entry level a year and a half ago
When we discussed this idea his goal was simply to get the "Average Joe" back in a Skater again. He built a lot of Outboard boats in the day and enjoyed the simplicity of rigging them and getting them out the door.
That said I think he simply wants to maintain customer base. Today's outboard owner is tomorrow's big cat owner. I don't think he has any intentions of retirement and enjoys designing and building our dreams.
To amplify on this comment ... Mr. Hledin told me no less than three times yesterday how much he still "loves" building his boats. I have interviewed him a bunch over the years, and it wasn't the first time he's said that to me. He loves what he does and knows what he's doing. For what it's worth, I don't think he would release a new product without good reasons to believe there's a market for it. When it comes to his products and his place in the market, he's not someone I would even presume to second-guess.

Carry on, gentlemen.
Old 09-06-2013, 03:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
Mr. Hledin told me no less than three times yesterday how much he still "loves" building his boats.
One of very few men orchestrating a MasterClass in offshore powerboat construction. Skater has evolved into a work of art comprising form, fit, build quality and function.

Last edited by Comanche3Six; 09-06-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Trulio
To amplify on this comment ... Mr. Hledin told me no less than three times yesterday how much he still "loves" building his boats. I have interviewed him a bunch over the years, and it wasn't the first time he's said that to me. He loves what he does and knows what he's doing. For what it's worth, I don't think he would release a new product without good reasons to believe there's a market for it. When it comes to his products and his place in the market, he's not someone I would even presume to second-guess.

Carry on, gentlemen.
Now I really love my boat!! I can't wait to have my new entry level Skater as well.