The adventure of my tub is now over

Notices

The adventure of my tub is now over

Old 07-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The adventure of my tub is now over

Well ladies and gentlemen,
As the end of summer slowly approaches, I bid you a fond goodbye. I have now completely failed in the attempts to get this tub of crap running, I believe I wiped out a cam (even though engines have hardly ever fired)
Now it seems that I have wiped out 2 starters from trying so freakin hard to get these engines running.
boils down to this
I have no more money to sink in this turd anymore.
I have done everything I know to do to get it to run and I have failed.
If someone wants to take a stab at it, by all means go ahead but honestly I have wasted weekend after weekend of looking like a monkey bangin a foot ball inthe driveway and my summer is slowly slipping away.
10-12 hours a day every weekend since spring, and this toilet just does not want to run.
I believe now since I cooked and fried both starters (even though they still turn engine over) it is not fast enough to get them running.
(stock 330 HP starters)
With the upped compression ect it is hard for them to turn engines over fast enough
each engine while trying to start is just not spinning fast enough and keeps popping out of the carb and it sounds like it wants to go but it cant.
I am not pulling these engines out again and starting all this bs again from scratch.
screw it im done, stick a fork in it, it is crispy well done.
I have spent over 13 grand in the past 3 months or so and I just cant get it to go.
starter on engine #1 was smoking and frying yesterday and stunk like ass piss. Starter #2 the bendix wont release due to cranking the hell out of engine and probably getting starter too hot.
I need 2 new High Torque starters from summit or wherever and I just cant afford it and to yank the engines out again is going to just kill me all over again
I have decided to wait until next year to start messing around with this cause I just cant take it anymore. I have not spent more than 1 hour with my wife this summer and I keep trying to get this running and take her out and it is just failure after failure after failure.
Thanks to all that have helped in this miserable pain in the balls project. Ike, thanks for all of your help in removing pain in the ass engine #2. Russ, thanks for coming over my house weekend after weekend and night after night after night wrenching till all wee hours of the morning trying to get this project finished.
to all, Have a great safe summer out there and Ill be wishing I was out there with you too but I cant even stomach to read anymore posts on this board due to my tub of crap
Best wishes to you all for a fun summer.
Jason
Old 07-22-2002, 09:20 AM
Registered

dude,,,that sucks!!! .....my .02 is get it running!!!! what about this "great" engine guy??? can he help ya???...the cam got trashed??? it's really never run,,,,right???
Old 07-22-2002, 09:26 AM
Registered

One ran for about 20 minutes or so and developed a pop
then both engines injested water and had to be sucked down, filled with oil, new filters
cranked over with no plugs in them
drained and fogged
and filled with oil again , new filters
and then tried to start them
I think with water in it in certain cylinders, the starters just started to loose umph
I had battery chargers going, boost charger on it while trying to start it sending like 60 amps to it while trying to start it and just fried the one starter and almost lit it on fire, and the other one is toast cause the bendix wont release, so when you turn on the battery switch, she starts instantly starting
you turn switch and whir whir whir engine is trying to start, no key in dash, no nothing
I just have had it
Maybe next spring, I can go into this with a clear head but for now I would like to actually enjoy my new wife and enjoy my summer.
If that means park this tub in the back yard until next year then so be it
Not like im missing anything since I have never really freakin used it.
Jason
PS Joe, engine #1 never ran yet no your are correct with that.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, what Audacity said, get the engine builder involved. If you wiped a cam he should be willing to help. He should also have a few starters laying around. Does he have a test stand where he can run engines? If you paid big bucks for the rebuild he should make them run.

Ron
Old 07-22-2002, 09:32 AM
Registered

He does not have anywhere that he can run it that I know of.
Since I upped the compression to the engines a considerable amount (9.5:1)
these stock garbage starters I just dont think have it in them to be able to turn them over fast enough to catch
I got the one running okay but now she wont fire
Im getting close but just not enough to run
If you hear it trying to start you would all agree that she wants to fire and go but just cant
And like I said Im not pulling out the engines again, I cant do it anymore. How many slaps in the face do you take until you put your hand up to block it?
well my friends, my hands are up
Honestly, any stock starter I dont think has what it takes to crank these fast enough.
Need the summit catalog and about 350 bones for starters
and what im afraid of is simple
okay after I pull and replace starters, and it still wont fire, then what
how much can you take.
I know of only one way to get this black cloud over me to leave me the hell alone, dont mess with boat anymore, then cant have any bad luck with it.
Plain and simple
I think I can start fresh in the spring.
I plan on calling the engine builder but honestly the starters are not his problem
they are mine, as is the rest of this freakin thing.
Jason
Old 07-22-2002, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a 7.4L 330 motor and changed heads then milled the heads to get a 9.4 to 1 compression ratio and the stock starter worked fine. So thats not your problem. The starter may be burnt up now but thats from cranking too long. A starter operates in a high overload condition meaning it really cant take constant cranking. Even the high torque Jegs starters will burn up if you crank for too long.

I would put some friendly pressure on the engine builder. Anyone can make a test stand to run the engines. He should be willing to help.

Ron
Old 07-22-2002, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to hear your troubles . I agree , if you spin a motor over too many times trying to start it , You will reck the cam . I think you have the cam in wrong (out of time) or your ignition timing is off. If the cam is out of time you may also have bent some valves or pushrods . I did this once before, along time ago . After working on a bunch of BB Ford ,I set the cam timing as if it was a ford instead of a chevy . WRONG !! I bent every thing ! Lucky it was my own and not a customers . I also don't think you would need a high torque starter ,I could be wrong . I have a BB Ford tunnel ram motor here with 13.5 to 1 compression and it turns great with a stock starter . Sounds like you need a break , but don't give up .You are so close . It sounds like one small thing was over looked and screwed it up on you . Some times those small thing are important . I can't help much now I'm so buisy with my own stuff but if you still need help in a month or 2 I will help you fix it . YOu can bring it to my shop if you like and it will leave running . Good luck , let me know if I can help , JOE
Old 07-22-2002, 09:57 AM
Registered

get it running! get that engine builder involved...i'm not going to say it.....the starters are plenty to that ap...not ideal....actually w/that cam your cranking compression is down....the valves are open longer now than stock...get it running!!!! use a tree to pull the damn engines!...take the starters to a rebuild guy that knows his chit!....i CAN NOT understand the cam!!!...plenty of race engines have been filled with salt water and still run!! man!!!,,,,don't let this beat you!!!...your too CLOSE!!!!
Old 07-22-2002, 10:05 AM
Registered

boot is totally correct! do a leak down...that'a tell ya what's up. my guess is that yahoo engine builder put the cam in up with ZERO cam timming done and told ya to do the ignition time when you started it up???
Old 07-22-2002, 10:11 AM
Registered

don't GIVE UP!!!

"J,
i wish ya luck! though it totally not the way i would go...you gota sell the wife...it's the hardest thing to do but in the long run...man does it pay off! you said..."engines to their capabilities and not beyond them"...so ask the engine builder for a warranty on them...VERY few people put their money where their mouth is!!!!!ask him for a 3 month!!!...ask yourself if you can afford to do a rebuild after 10 hours? how about blow'n a drive??? how about ANY time you go up in prop pitch size your reliability drops dramaticly!!!just my .02 bro,,,but my goal in pleasure boating is i boat every weekend no matter what and when i step up in performance i have to ask myself can i still maintain my original goal????..."

call me at ford if ya need some direction?? 734 635 1697

Quick Reply: The adventure of my tub is now over

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.