Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Poker Run Format - should it be changed? >

Poker Run Format - should it be changed?

Notices

Poker Run Format - should it be changed?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:17 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rynobranch
No just the lime green one and the first boat in the video. That was too close but still a cool video. Rip Brad and Jeff!
I see. So all that open water on the other side, and.... Further comment withheld to avoid pissing many off
Old 09-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BraceYourself
You're correct the design work would be impossible for the boat builders and the users would do more damage then good. But a proper wing in the proper hands would work.
I believe unlimited hydros have a front wing that is adjustable while running.....
Old 09-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I see. So all that open water on the other side, and.... Further comment withheld to avoid pissing many off
Yes there was a lot of open water. They prolly saw Phantom idling over and shot that gap to? Lots of boats runnin around and guys wanting to be first to the stop. It's gonna happen. If u don't like it stay home.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

Received 735 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Dean Ferry
I believe unlimited hydros have a front wing that is adjustable while running.....
I had posted this earlier in the thread regarding canards Even the unlimited hydroplanes use manual controls for their canard There a lot involved with computer controlled flight surfaces then the cost of the black box.
"The canard allows the driver to more easily “fly” the boat, pushing the rear of the canard down to create lift and raise the nose of the boat, or raising it to lower the nose of the boat if it gets too high and is in danger of “blowing over”. The driver will also manipulate the canard in the turns or when rough water and windy conditions persist."
Old 09-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
OK I guess I'll be the first one to ask. In order to improve the safety of these events do we need to get the " JackApples" who are running to close to other boats at way to high of speeds under control? The bigger question is if so How? Just asking.....are the less than 100mph boats causing this much issue?
Old 09-10-2013, 02:38 PM
Registered

Yes there was a lot of open water. They prolly saw Phantom idling over and shot that gap to? Lots of boats runnin around and guys wanting to be first to the stop. It's gonna happen. If u don't like it stay home.
With this line of thinking I guess its OK that people get killed and that is that. Who cares. Hell they died doing something they loved. Really????
Old 09-10-2013, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Everybody

If you don't like it stay home.

Sign this mouth breather up for the next safety committee .
Old 09-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Poker Runs have been very lucky to not have any accidents involving spectator boats (knock on wood). From the looks of these videos its only a matter of time before that happens and then the stuff will really hit the fan. So far its been participants in the poker run getting hurt or killed, which is bad enough. If a spectator or person on a open lake gets killed they will have a open and closed case. There will be no question who is at fault.

The Poker Run event planners must make changes before it gets worse. (not sure knocking on wood is a good solution)

MP
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 PM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 25 Likes on 6 Posts

I have bought this thread back after reading it, many good points have been made.
A decision was made to lock this thread since another thread has been started about the same subject.

Please be respectful of the family and family of Jeff Asbell & Brad Smith.