Notices

38 donzi zx

Old 09-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts
Default 38 donzi zx

Have interest in a 2000 38 Donzi ZX. Was looking for some feed back regarding ride, performance, amentities. Wife wants a bigger boat with all the bells and whistles. Found one listed

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...zi-38ZX-356389

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

PM Glassdave, he has an identicle boat. Very comfortable, nice ride.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Thank you,
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Fantastic boat, well built and for its size moves pretty well. 500EFI's should get you into the mid (maybe upper) 70's. Ride is pretty good but in big water dont expect to run with 38 Gun's and the like, the wide beam and variable deadrise hurt it there. In average choppy stuff they are remarkably fast with not a lot of power for such a heavy boat. Although i dont have any experience adding power but i have been told they kinda hit a wall if you try and squeeze more speed out of them. The boat is kind of a love hate thing, makes me wonder if anyone from Donzi ever spent a weekend on one lol. The V birth is the worst i have ever slept on, the cleats are nearly all in the wrong place, bolstered rear seats suck except for when your running and thats only because theres nothing to hold on to, sun pad is very steep and while it looks good it its not great to lay on (so the GF says). Hire a full time gnome to work in the bilge if you anything over four and a half feet tall and under a hundred pounds you wont be able to do much without becoming a certified circus geek contortionist . . . . . all that aside i love the boat.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Where's Nick??
Old 09-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Fantastic boat, well built and for its size moves pretty well. 500EFI's should get you into the mid (maybe upper) 70's. Ride is pretty good but in big water dont expect to run with 38 Gun's and the like, the wide beam and variable deadrise hurt it there. In average choppy stuff they are remarkably fast with not a lot of power for such a heavy boat. Although i dont have any experience adding power but i have been told they kinda hit a wall if you try and squeeze more speed out of them. The boat is kind of a love hate thing, makes me wonder if anyone from Donzi ever spent a weekend on one lol. The V birth is the worst i have ever slept on, the cleats are nearly all in the wrong place, bolstered rear seats suck except for when your running and thats only because theres nothing to hold on to, sun pad is very steep and while it looks good it its not great to lay on (so the GF says). Hire a full time gnome to work in the bilge if you anything over four and a half feet tall and under a hundred pounds you wont be able to do much without becoming a certified circus geek contortionist . . . . . all that aside i love the boat.
I just purchased one this year. Dave is correct. some minor mods can help it out. Add a set of cleats to the back sides of the boat and another set of forward quick pin cleats up front. I also added a tube swim platform with ladder since mine has extension boxes. I run this in LOTO and it eats up the rough water. Try running 60 at LOTO coming or going to the shootout without everyone holding on for dear life. runs flat and solid. As far as the 38 TG's I cant comment on the ride difference as never been in 38TG. I did have the 38 ZX on a trailer next to a 38 TG. The 38 ZX is a LOT more boat. I think it has some of the best lines of any powerboat. Very well built boat.

BTW, My wife and daughter love the back bolsters. Note a big deal to change around if you don't like it.

Last edited by Wilks; 09-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:50 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilks
I just purchased one this year. Dave is correct. some minor mods can help it out. Add a set of cleats to the back sides of the boat. I also added a tube swim platform. I run this in LOTO and it eats up the rough water. Try running 60 at LOTO coming or going to the shootout without everyone holding on for dear life. runs flat and solid. As far as the 38 TG's I cant comment on the ride difference as never been in 38TG. I did have the 38 zx on a trailer next to a 38 TG. The 38 ZX is a LOT more boat. I think it has some of the best lines of any powerboat. Very well built boat.
drop dead sexiest boat ever they really are timeless. yes its a huge boat compared to any other 38, towers over anything I raft off. they do run flat and solid and well in rough water but are no comparison to a traditional straight bottom V. Because the 38ZX is nine plus feet wide it rides a little harsher but not bad.

how did you add a tube platform? just cant seem to picture it in my mind what with the molded tail on that hull.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-09-2013, 09:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
drop dead sexiest boat ever they really are timeless. yes its a huge boat compared to any other 38, towers over anything I raft off. they do run flat and solid and well in rough water but are no comparison to a traditional straight bottom V. Because the 38ZX is nine plus feet wide it rides a little harsher but not bad.

how did you add a tube platform? just cant seem to picture it in my mind what with the molded tail on that hull.
Cant post pics on here. No subscription. Had Nick at Alum Metal Fab make a custom one for me. Not very big. Just enough to get over drives with ladder. PM me you email and I will send pics.
Old 09-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by badmonkey
Have interest in a 2000 38 Donzi ZX. Was looking for some feed back regarding ride, performance, amentities. Wife wants a bigger boat with all the bells and whistles. Found one listed

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...zi-38ZX-356389

Thanks for any assistance.
Chris, if the girl laying on the bow comes with the boat then what's your question and why have you not paid the man yet?
Old 09-10-2013, 07:06 AM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

It's a very nice looking boat and looks super clean. How many hrs on the motors? I always wanted to go for a ride in one the ZX's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.