Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What’s VA Beach like, Possibly moving from ST Louis… (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30278-what%92s-va-beach-like-possibly-moving-st-louis%85.html)

Reckless32 08-07-2002 02:22 PM

Come on down Sydwayz, you can hang with us too...:D

Besides, there's lots of other girls down here that would love to hook up with a powerboatin' kinda dude.....:cool:

Sydwayz 08-07-2002 02:27 PM

Thanks Rick. I need to sell the boss on it now!

ForrestC 08-07-2002 04:31 PM

I grew up in Vaaa Beach. North End. 88th and Oceanfront (8706) to be exact. Left there and move to Florida in the mid '80s, came back in the late '80s and back again to Florida. I would live there again, but I can no longer afford to live in Virginia Beach like I got use to living there. That 4000 sq. ft. house on its 50' x 150' oceanfront lot that my Dad built in the late 1960s for $65K now sells for $1.5 million or more. My grandfathers tiny weekend "beach" cottage on 74th Street, not on the oceanfront, recently sold for $700K. Bay Colony, Princess Anne Hills, anywhere on Linkhorn Bay, Broad Bay, Little Neck, Lynhaven Inlet, the Chesapeake Bay, or anywhere on or near the water brings big bucks - especially east of Great Neck Road. Vyper340's and Reckless288's locations are both really good, and I'm sure that they too has found it to be a great investment as well - especially these days! Also, the City of Virginia Beach will not let them forget how much his property has appreciated either. And yes, there is a vast amount of very affordable housing with a Virginia Beach address as the City of Virginia Beach encompasses all of what use to be Princess Anne County. All that being said, please check it out first hand. If you can find the level of living that is right for you that you can afford, then by all means go for it. You won't be sorry.

PS. I helped pour the concrete at Cape Henry Towers as a summer job while in high school back in . . . ?

TomZ 08-07-2002 05:34 PM

Couldn't recommend a better place to live. The wife and I have friends and family down there and visit all the time. We were supposed to move there last year about this time, but everything fell through when 9/11 happened.

My brother-in-law's family owns the Lynnhaven Dive Shop on Great Neck RD, and he just bought a place on Bay Island that he and my wife's sister are in the process of remodeling. So, we get to live vicariously through them. :rolleyes:

One day... we'll be permanent residents. :D

Oh.. the housing market there is sweet! We live in Arlington just outside of DC. We were going to sell our place here for a LOT of money and move down there and bank a hundred thou! And that was with us moving into the Cox school district! Goddamn terrorists. :mad:

ForrestC 08-07-2002 06:15 PM

TomZ, Northern Virginia - now that is one of the highest priced housing markets in the country! When I worked for CACI Inc. back when they were in Fairfax across the street from Mobile Oil on Gallows Road, I had to share a house with six other IT "professionals" just to survive. Back then and just out of college, we thought we made decent money when we got transferred there from their now closed Virginia Beach office at the corner of Northhampton and Diamond Springs Rd. In fact we were paid much more that what was being paid for the same job in Virginia Beach office at the time, but we all quickly learned that you need to make really decent money to live in the Northern Virginia / DC area! Owning property through the years in NoVA was probably better than the stock market during the best of times. A nice place in Virginia Beach is bargain in comparison. BTW, there sure is a bunch of folks who post on OSO who live on Bay Island. There aren't that many houses back there. It's got to be just over a mile long and not all that wide. Great place indeed!

First Colonial HS, '74 (Now you know why I can't type!)

TomZ 08-07-2002 07:04 PM

Hey, it's till a gold mine if you had bought property during the "buyer's market" back in the mid 90's. Now it's a big time seller's market (despite the economic downturn). I was getting so many calls about selling my house that I had to pick up call intercept from the phone company to get the phone to stop ringing! Our property has gone up almost 150% in the last four years... the sad part though is that we're stuck with it now unless we move out of the area. To sell and then find an "affordable" place to buy in its place would be next to impossible; and we make pretty decent money! That's how we'll end up down in Vaaa Beach.... we can't aford anything else! ;)

Hey, my friends' "group house" used to be right near that intersectoin off of Diamond Springs. Man that place was sweet, and cheap! Up here that place would have been worth every bit of $450k-500k. I think it was purchased (with an acre of land) for $200k back in '94.

Secret F233 08-07-2002 11:00 PM

Man you guy ROCK!!!! Thanks so much I've managed to sell the MRs. on the idea (never thought that would happen) :) & heck to hear you guys talk about it I'm thinkin i just might have to consider this with or without the Job. Sorry haven't posted much in the last few days just going crazy at work trying to prove my self & get this PROMO thanks again. You Guys & Gals do rock the House.

I Must say OSO is the hotest thing since Sunburn or the Best thing since Boats:)!!!!!!!

I'll keep ya posted on the outcome Man i hope i get it:D

DONZIMAN2 08-07-2002 11:15 PM

Good luck on your Promotion and decision. Look forward to seeing you if you make it here. Just let us know in advance. My wife and I live on Bay Island and we really like it. Again my wife is a realtor and if you need any relocation information just shoot me an E-mail. The housing market here is very affordable and the price range is a wide spread. Nice talking to you. DMAN2

Secret F233 08-07-2002 11:35 PM

Thanks D & every one else for that mater. I will as soon as i know more... :D :cool:

wms 08-08-2002 07:58 AM

Good luck Secret!! Definitely keep us posted. ;)