Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
How much should I charge, what's it worth? >

How much should I charge, what's it worth?

Notices

How much should I charge, what's it worth?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default How much should I charge, what's it worth?

Someone want's to rent me and my boat to do some equipment testing. They want me to run around at 50-80mph for a few hours.
It's a 4 hour trailer each way to the test location.
It's in October, in the St of Juan de Fuca, when the weather can be rough, and crap's in the water.

The easy part is they pay for fuel and the extra day of insurance, probably around $800-1000
Me...I'm cheap, wife says so all the time!
How about wear and tear on the boat?
And coincidental damages like a bent prop? or worse?

Anybody ever dealt with something like this?
Old 09-11-2013, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

chit dude i take people out for free all the time... id be happy if they paid gas money and time for the tow... time in the boat is free fun time on their nickel...rm
Old 09-11-2013, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1. at minimum have them pay you for your 8 hour's of driving . how much do you make working for 8 hour's ?

also cruising at 80 mph will put some wear and tear on your motor's and drive's especially with a few hour's of run time .

2. $ 2000. plus anything that break's while underway

so I would ask for 1. and 2.

BE CAREFUL the way you wright this down in any contract unless you are a licensed captain

Last edited by mikebrls; 09-11-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

who is it and why are they doing it, what is your exposure, what is your time worth, how much will they pay. I would get as much as you can unless there is some reason you need to do it for them at just the cost of fuel. Yours it not an inexpensive boat and it should not be cheap to hire, also be careful you have insurance your regular policy most likely won't cover anything that can be construed as commercial, also if you are taking any passengers in a for hire situation you may need a licensed captain. If you break something who pays??

Not saying don't do it, I would probably do it also any excuse to get out on the water is a good one, just don't get into a situation that causes you problems.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'd pass...if anything goes wrong, you're likely not covered by your insurance. I guess it all depends on what your worth and willing to risk. You said you're a self-proclaimed "cheap" person...is it worth the risk of not being insured because you're basically "for hire"...your liability will likely go beyond that. You might be able to get around some of this with a donation, but any good attorney will bust through that...especially with this all documented on a forum.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

The ride to Vancouver is worth at least 4k. If they balk at that tell then to ride the coho. Nothing a round bottom ferry can't fix if they don't think it's worth it.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and you want the money up front!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My insurance carrier is informed about this and checking it out for me.
I was thinking $3K + damages or deductible, but $5K sounds sweet.
If anyone's ever rented a boat to a studio for the day or something, what'd you get?
Old 09-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I am a 100 ton master nearing my 500/3000. If you need a captain I will make my services available to run the CHIT out of your fountain!! Lol

Hope it works out. Let us know how it goes
Old 09-12-2013, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

To rent some crappy little boat in Florida its a few hundred $$$ for 4 hours and that doesn`t include gas.. wear and tear on boat, trailer and tow vehicle and your time? I`d want a $1000 plus gas minimum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.