Notices

My boat sank today

Old 08-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Wildfire

Unhappy My boat sank today

This is not a joke.

We launched the "new to us" boat (1985 Crusader, BBC & Arneson) for the first time today. About 1 mile from the marina the engine stopped and we observed smoke/steam. Looked under the hatch and water was halfway up the engine. 10-15 minutes later all that was sticking up was the front 6'. 5 minutes later, it went to the bottom in ~80' of water.

Don't know if there are any lessons to learn from this yet. Still kind of in shock. The Missus and I were the only ones aboard and we got our jackets on at the first sign of trouble. We managed to save our wallets, keys, GPS and shoes. The water jug, paddle and rear seat surfaced later and those were collected.

We have insurance and the water patrol has made their report. I guess I have to call the insurance company tomorrow morning. I know some divers that can salvage it for me, but don't know at this point if I am interested. We'll see how easy State Farm is.

One of the people that helped us, got some digital video or pictures. When I get those, I will post 'em for sure. Any advice?

Old 08-04-2002, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay..........well that sucks! More info please.........you did put the drain plugs in right?

Old 08-04-2002, 07:42 PM
Registered

Scott that sucks! I hope State Farm is a GOO F#@$ING NEIGHBOR! Best of luck and I am glad you and the missus are safe and sound. Please keep us posted.
Old 08-04-2002, 07:49 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.....Sorry to that. Best of luck with State Farm...They have been good to me!
Old 08-04-2002, 07:54 PM
Wildfire

Drain plug was verified twice by me and at least once by the Missus. The best I can figure is that we lost a water line or exhaust tube.

My diver buddy will be back from vacation next week, he'll probably get a couple of his buddies to go down and refloat it with air bags, maybe we will find out for sure. Maybe it will be permanent fish attractor. The bad part is that the BBC and Arneson were going to go in the Magnum this winter. Now I have to start all over. Plus the Missus said no more project boats - new or like new only! Maybe that is a good, but expensive thing.

Old 08-04-2002, 07:59 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Wow! That is a sad story. Glad you and your wife are OK. Must have been quite an experience.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:02 PM
Registered

Wow, glad your safe. Makes my little episode pretty puny by comparison. Hope things work out for you.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:07 PM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, Scott, I'm sorry to hear that. At least you and the wife are ok.
Old 08-04-2002, 08:31 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn that sucks. I know first had the feeling of your boat going down out at see. Only when it happend to me it was a friends boat!!! He had never replaces the boots going out to the three motors and the water came in from there. I will NEVER again piss and moan about the coast guard. Boat US NEVER CAME!!! I was pissed about that and Boat US has launched a full investigation as to why they guy never came out. Well at leaste that is what they have told me anyhow Non the less the feeling that you get is not a good one. You can definatly salvage the drive and motor if you can get it up quick. Not even super importand since I am guessing it was fresh water from your location. However if the wife put her foot down then how can you argue about getting that new 41 Apache Seriously new or old they all have problems and this crap can happen. Another member on the board almost had his brand new Baja go to the bottom because a hose came off the water pump.

Jon
Old 08-04-2002, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Audiofn Would not the answer be a boat that won't sink in the first Place ?

Quick Reply: My boat sank today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.