Lets try this again. Solve the problems >

Lets try this again. Solve the problems

Notices

Lets try this again. Solve the problems

Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb Lets try this again. Solve the problems

A few days ago, I started a thread called "Lake Cumberland and the Blame Game". The catalyst for the thread was to ignite a conversation of what could be done to alleviate the blow-over, which has been a common thread in the last 5 fatalities. Unfortunately, some of the less bright and more obnoxious of our family used the thread to act irresponsibly and speak with no filter. It got to a point that some of these people were rude and downright mean-spirited. It turned into a pizzing contest that could not be won. I asked the mod-squad to freeze the thread and stop the BS.

Obviously, the OSO family is full of brilliant minds. I'm convinced that collectively, we can all put our heads together and come up with some reasonable solutions to the problems that could cause the demise of our sport as we know it if we just sit back and continue down the path we're on. I ask that this thread be used for this purpose only. If you want to bad-mouth and point fingers, please, just go start your own thread. If you have any ideas that could provide a path to a solution, by all means, share it. If you have any input as to why one idea or thought may be better than another, or why a certain idea may not be reasonable, please pipe in. While I've always focused on the blow-over, understand that this thread is meant to address any and all issues we may have.

I'll start:

I'm a big believer in that you can't fix stupid (or arrogance, or ego). Expecting people to follow a set of rules because you ask them to is always going to fail because there will always be someone who thinks the rules don't apply to them or someone who didn't grasp the meaning of a particular rule. I also am a big fan of Cosa Nostra. Although they were criminals, they had a perfect business model that was successful for may decades. Heres how I think the rules can be enforced: Form a 5-person commission. Finding the 5 people should not be difficult and deciding who should participate would be voted by the commission itself after the leader is determined. The leader would choose the second member, those two would vote on a third member, those three would vote and so-on.

The commissions' role would not be to rule the PR world, but to offer opinions regarding the behavior of PR participants. Because there are so many clubs and organizations, if they want to participate, they would subscribe (at no cost but with some kind of registration). It would not be open to the public. As an example, lets say xyz powerboat club has a PR. Participant 000 blows by the pace-boat at 160 before the flag is lowered. While there would be no immediate recourse for xyz powerboat club, they would report the incident to the commission with any video evidence. The Commission would view the evidence and make a decision as to the validity of the complaint and try to contact the participant to allow a rebuttal. If the participant could provide proof of a valid reason for their actions, no harm no foul. If they can't, the commission would advise all of the other organization subscribers of the infraction by posting the event and their findings on the website. It would then be up to the other clubs to decide what should be done about the infraction. Lets say there are 20 clubs participating. They see on the website that Barney Mclumplump driving his 160MPH Larson jumped a start. The commission determines it was a blatant infraction of the hosting clubs rules and posts its findings on the website. The clubs would then react accordingly and at their own discretion. Unlike the Mob, Mr. Mclumplump wouldn't be hunted down and ventilated. However, if the right clubs participate, he could be told "thanks but no thanks" regarding his participation in their next event. This could result in losing accommodations, parking, dock space and if I was Mr. Mclumplump, more than a little embarrassment. If a club decides to do nothing, that's their business; they have the facts and they could use them as they wish. The orginal hosting club could refuse entry for the next event as well. BTW, a participating club could go as far as to publically ban a person by posting the decision here and other places. A lot of work? Yes. Worth the effort? Hell yes.

Don't get me started on the blow-over problem because I don't have the time today

Last edited by iamjoe; 09-13-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: spelling-duh
Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will fix it's self.... Poker Runs will become too much of a liability.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Back4More
it will fix it's self.... Poker Runs will become too much of a liability.
That's exactly what we don't want to happen though
Old 09-13-2013, 06:22 PM
Registered

For every action there is a reaction. In this case I would consider it an over reaction (not trying to down play the seriousness of the losses sustained in the boating community one bit). There will always be accidents at poker runs no matter what you do to insure the opposite. We have speed limits on the roads, seat belt rules, vehicle safety standards etc etc and we still have auto related casualties. The most alarming thing I noticed in most of the LCPR videos is how close these boats are running to anchored spectators. We all know the risk we are taking operating boats at speed but the disregard for innocent bystanders is whats chapping my ass.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Temporary poker run limiters, do we really need to go that much faster than 100mph in a poker run, remember, it's not supposed to be a race.

Just a fallacy.

Last edited by 314joey; 09-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:33 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's try this one more time. Slow down.

That is the only answer whether you like it or not.

Same thing applies to every motorized vehicle on the planet, in the air or in space. History has proved it.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:38 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

And then we applaud in a different thread about a new 41' boat with 1650s just going 170mph,....................................... this is going to be harder than we all think.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ActiveThunder
Let's try this one more time. Slow down.

That is the only answer whether you like it or not.

Same thing applies to every motorized vehicle on the planet, in the air or in space. History has proved it.

While this is true and I agree 100%, its not going to be a good enough reason to get another chance at LC next year if they choose to not have it. Slowing down and using common sense is certainly what all of us need to do (some more than others obviously). But we need a solid plan even if its to partially look good on paper because that's the only way we will get another shot at it at Cumberland IMO, and other poker runs will follow. Don't take that the wrong way, I think we need a solid plan to organize runs and actually follow through with it but it needs to look good on paper for officials to agree into it.

Now that im thinking, I guess this thread is about improving the design of boats to prevent accidents and I was thinking it was about the steps we need to take to make poker runs safer but they are pretty much one in the same thing.

Kevin
Old 09-13-2013, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes Jim but there is a place to run that. Not a lake or river when it's crowded. There is this whole offshore thing. Atlantic, pacific, gulf. Wide open spaces. Stretch it out
Old 09-13-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
While this is true and I agree 100%, its not going to be a good enough reason to get another chance at LC next year if they choose to not have it. Slowing down and using common sense is certainly what all of us need to do (some more than others obviously). But we need a solid plan even if its to partially look good on paper because that's the only way we will get another shot at it at Cumberland IMO, and other poker runs will follow. Don't take that the wrong way, I think we need a solid plan to organize runs and actually follow through with it but it needs to look good on paper for officials to agree into it.

Now that im thinking, I guess this thread is about improving the design of boats to prevent accidents and I was thinking it was about the steps we need to take to make poker runs safer but they are pretty much one in the same thing.

Kevin
Great idea.

Now see if anybody gets this: Slow down.

Last edited by ActiveThunder; 09-14-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.