Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   OT Ford explorer 4.0L efi engine problems (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/30291-ot-ford-explorer-4-0l-efi-engine-problems.html)

Playn 08-05-2002 09:51 PM

OT Ford explorer 4.0L efi engine problems

We have a neighbor with a 2000 Ford Explorer that has had two replacement engines installed in it and is now in the shop with a broken flywheel. The vehicle has about 60000 miles on it. The vehicle was taken to the shop originally because of leaking coolant. The original engine was replaced because it had warped heads and the hotline advised the dealer to replace the engine (28000 miles). At 35000 miles it was leaking oil at the front crank seal and leaking coolant, and air not operating. Hotline advised the dealer that the front cover seal housing was too large and the crank pully out of round. They were told to replace seal and use loctite sealer on OD of crank seal and install new crank pully. They replaced the radiator which had a split casting seam. The found seals leaking in the accumulator and replaced all three and recharged the system. At 47000 miles check engine light came on. # 4 cyl misfiring which was coolant fouled. They checked oil level which was over full due to coolant in oil. Hotline advised replacement of engine due to the amount of coolant contamination in oil. Last week on the third engine in this vehicle, the flywheel breaks going down the Interstate.

The amount of problems they are having with this is incredible. Ford has replaced this stuff under warrenty but they just want to get rid of the vehicle for a new one. Ford will have nothing to do with an exchange. Does anyone know or have heard of these problems before or know of a website that may be able to shed some info on this vehicle or engine?

baja bailey 08-05-2002 11:03 PM

ford 4.0 problems reply

Sorry to hear about all the trouble with the 4.0 engine. Back in 95 I bought a new Ranger with the 4.0, and it was a night mare. Back in service about 12 times the first 8 months. Finally spun a main bearing at 7,500 miles. Long story short, I finally forced them to buy it back! Good Luck....

Playn 08-05-2002 11:27 PM

Thats where the hit the stumbling block. Ford isn't willing.

David 08-06-2002 06:37 AM

I also have the 4.0 EFI in my Ranger with 150K on the speedo. No problems at all. I have replaced the alt and water pump, tho.

CRUBOSS 08-06-2002 08:44 AM

i had a ford ranger , 91 vintage a few years back. it started with a lifter problem. and got worse from then on. i had to swap engines when the push rod broke and the engine blew .. now i have a jeep. 120 k and not a lick of trouble.

Playn 08-06-2002 11:21 AM

I was just wondering if there was a history of problems with this particular model engine. It is a 2000. I'm sure if they wanted to they could make a huge stink about it and get it resolved as one of them is in the S.E. Michigan media but they arn't that way. I think the real problem Ford has is that it's a 2000 with 60K miles so they owe more than it's worth with the higher miles