The Legendary Steve David Says Goodbye this Weekend

Notices

The Legendary Steve David Says Goodbye this Weekend

Old 09-13-2013, 12:07 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 554 Likes on 263 Posts
Default The Legendary Steve David Says Goodbye this Weekend

An iconic career comes to an end this weekend. Best of luck in San Diego Steve David! We will miss seeing you compete in the most intense racing on water.

http://speedonthewater.com/in-the-ne...e-this-weekend
Old 09-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

All I can say to Steve David is a BIG Thank You for the many years of entertaining the crowds with your driving ability and for always putting on a great show and being such a great Ambassador to the sport. I was heartbroken when you lost out on winning the Detroit Gold Cup this year, as it was a sad day just like this announcement is going to be to all your fans. On a good note you are leaving as one of the Legends of the sport and will always be remembered as such. Hope your enjoy your retirement because you certainly deserve it. All the Best and Thanks YOU Mr. David. Race Fan!
Old 09-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

A long time ago, I had the honor of introducing Steve David during the annual Powerboat magazine Awards ceremony. I really wanted to embarrass him—as was the custom among the Powerboat test team members—so I kept pausing during my intro when he took the stage and saying, "I can't believe I'm standing next to Steve David!" The crowd, in the spirit and spirits of the evening, got into it. Steve turned a shade of red I've not seen since, but he took it well.

Truth be told, I still can't believe I was standing next to Steve David. He's a living legend who doesn't act like one, and he has added more to his sport than he has ever taken.

Congratulations on a remarkable hydroplane racing career, Steve.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 892 Likes on 320 Posts

Congratulations on an unbelievable career although we all know you are not really retiring, just not driving. still it will be sad to not see you in the drivers seat, you have done the Miss Madison proud and shown what true dedication can accomplish. You have been a great ambassador of all types of boat racing and I am sure will continue to be in what ever role you choose in the future.
steve schmidt
Old 09-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

I met Steve at a poker run in Ft Lauderdale a few years back at the lunch stop. He had a Black Thunder at the time and was a nice guy to chat with.......he never mentioned racing or his credentials once! Someone later that weekend told me who he was!

Here is a clip where he flipped he boat and landed right side up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4qlJk00XY

Last edited by Jupiter Sunsation; 09-14-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:54 AM
Charter Member #927
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met him much the same way. He was giving test rides on Black Thunders at the Miami boat show. We started talking while he was going to put fuel in the boat. The times we've talked since then I've always been impress how he was such a Christian gentleman in every thing he has done. Congratulations Steve. and Good luck this weekend.

Mark
Old 09-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats on a great career Steve

I had the honor to meet Steve on a couple occasions and what a great guy. Once at the Gold Cup when we were exhibition racing between heats and once down at a race we did on the Ohio river in Richmond KY. Steve was MC'ing the race meetings and i'll never forget his comment on the race. He mentioned that we would be racing under several bridges and that care should be taken. I believe is exact words were something like "when racing under the bridges there were several openings between the pilings and if we did not go through the openings a penalty would be immediately assessed" laughed my ass off and we use that line often when running the river up here lol .
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What a great ambassador for the sport. He will be missed by many. Congrats Steve on a great career!
Old 09-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Correspondent
Correspondent

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,230 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
I met Steve at a poker run in Ft Lauderdale a few years back at the lunch stop. He had a Black Thunder at the time and was a nice guy to chat with.......he never mentioned racing or his credentials once! Someone later that weekend told me who he was!

Here is a clip where he flipped he boat and landed right side up!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4qlJk00XY
That is one of the most incredible things in boat racing I've ever seen. Thanks, Jupe. Would love to hear what Steve was thinking in that moment.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:03 PM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good races today! Look forward to tomorrow!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.