Need someone in Houston area... >

Need someone in Houston area...

Notices

Need someone in Houston area...

Old 09-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
Can you stop by and take a closer look for me. Got a guy who might be stopping by on Thursday. See if you can get a look at the motors, and and paper work on them.

I'd appreciate any help.
EDIT:. . . part of an Estate Sale, Owner died Nov 2012,

I spent a quick 15 minutes looking at it.
He said that it was a fresh water only boat that was registered at Lewisville, Tx . . . but after smelling the familiar Galveston mud (salt water) up front in the anchor locker I call BS

It's on a consignment lot. There's an older guy there that knows nothing about it. "what you see is what you get" was his attitude. He mentioned that it had a marine survey, but not a single document to back it up. When I asked about the performance mods that were done to the engines, again, no documentation to back it up, "but they sound killer." The engine hours were over 300. 368 or 386. All 3 batteries were dead, and the displays were digital.
The upholstery has seen better days. It's faded, was white, but the tops and backs of the seats are the faded brown/tan with plenty of sun screen on them or tanning oil, . . . and they were white.
It has a full cockpit cover, but it leaks. The snap in carpet was damp, and smelled.
After manually pulling on the engine hatch while holding the button down, it opened very slowly. The bilge has an oil boom on each side of the stringers, the plug was still in, and there was a nice oil slick. The bench seat storage had a the least a case of oil in it.
The generator has a through haul brass fitting, and the screen is all smashed up from an impact.
Front anchor locker has smashed hinges, and standing "stink water" inside.
The front trailer eye looked like it had kissed the trailer boot, there was 5200 that looked like putty covering it up.
When I asked about the 600HP performance package, he just pointed to the sicker that was on the intake, where the 525 badges were at one time, "call them up and ask, and good luck." They had a nice layer of dust

That was my quick once over. The rain was rolling in,

Last edited by TooTall; 09-16-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Registered

Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Too Tall, thanks a bunch, pretty close to a survey with your description and photos. Sounds like there's a bunch of loose ends. Now did you here the motors or did the guy there say they sounded killer? It seems as if the guy there doesn't care if it sells by the way you describe it. And why would you take of the 525 stickers and put those god awful stickers on. Not real big with the rust in there either. Seems like he should be asking closer to 75k and how did he have it professionally cleaned if it still looks like that.
Old 09-16-2013, 10:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by s022mag
Too Tall, thanks a bunch, pretty close to a survey with your description and photos. Sounds like there's a bunch of loose ends. Now did you here the motors or did the guy there say they sounded killer? It seems as if the guy there doesn't care if it sells by the way you describe it. And why would you take of the 525 stickers and put those god awful stickers on. Not real big with the rust in there either. Seems like he should be asking closer to 75k and how did he have it professionally cleaned if it still looks like that.
these were just my observations . . . .
I didn't get to hear them run, but I sure wanted them to. All 3 batteries were completely dead.

My biggest turn off was all of the oil under the back seat, and in the bilge, (with the oil sock already in there)
I got the feeling that whatever those "new engines" don't burn off in the loose cylinders, it gets leaked out.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Registered

Yeah I don't get that. Why would it leak or burn oil with motor work just done by professionals.
Old 09-17-2013, 03:16 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I would imagine the oil is signs of bigger problems!! That little bit of rust could be just a sign of the rust you can't see, and that interior looks rough which could mean a good chunk of change. Too tall would it be something you would buy???
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 591 Likes on 271 Posts

oil leaked-- Engine builder Hmmmmm
Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by T-RAV
I would imagine the oil is signs of bigger problems!! That little bit of rust could be just a sign of the rust you can't see, and that interior looks rough which could mean a good chunk of change. Too tall would it be something you would buy???
It's not for me. Don't get me wrong, it's beastly looking boat with all kinds of room. If I was to by it, it'd have to be a screaming deal first.
Engines would come out for an inspection. The seats would need new coverings. 3 new batteries . . . "My list of repairs" would go on before taking it out for a weekend or a beating. The graphics didn't look too bad, but the top deck was in need of a compound, and the sides need to be waxed.
The standing water, and oil in the bilge could have been taken care of if the plug was taken out. I'm guessing that the dead batteries came from the constant pumping of the water out of the bilge.
I did see a little corrosion on the intake of the starboard motor, at the head/intake . . . so that really had me guessing on the salt water use.
The leaking oil was a big kicker for a boat that has "new engines." The 2 cases of oil that were under the back seat really had me wondering why there were no engine pictures, and after popping the hatch I saw why.
The intakes had Aermotive FPRs that looked really new, but other than looking at that crappy sticker on the intake, the engines looked "ok" from a first glance.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by TooTall
It's not for me. Don't get me wrong, it's beastly looking boat with all kinds of room. If I was to by it, it'd have to be a screaming deal first.
Engines would come out for an inspection. The seats would need new coverings. 3 new batteries . . . "My list of repairs" would go on before taking it out for a weekend or a beating. The graphics didn't look too bad, but the top deck was in need of a compound, and the sides need to be waxed.
The standing water, and oil in the bilge could have been taken care of if the plug was taken out. I'm guessing that the dead batteries came from the constant pumping of the water out of the bilge.
I did see a little corrosion on the intake of the starboard motor, at the head/intake . . . so that really had me guessing on the salt water use.
The leaking oil was a big kicker for a boat that has "new engines." The 2 cases of oil that were under the back seat really had me wondering why there were no engine pictures, and after popping the hatch I saw why.
The intakes had Aermotive FPRs that looked really new, but other than looking at that crappy sticker on the intake, the engines looked "ok" from a first glance.
I realize it wasn't for you, just wanted to see you perspective as if you were buying it for yourself since you do know what you are talking about, what you would think then... Good info for the op. I would have a mechanic look at it before I worried about spend anymore money on a hull survey if you decide to go that route...
Old 09-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Registered

Yeah, something just doesn't add up. I thought about calling the engine builder and see if he could give me some insight but all and all it seems like a lot of work for something 1100 miles away from me. I was really hoping it was something better, the low nada for that boat is 118k and he mentioned taking mine in on partial trade.
I really don't want to work on boats anymore (or have anyone else). I just want to enjoy them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.