Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
A Mid 50yo PERSPECTIVE on "go-fast" >

A Mid 50yo PERSPECTIVE on "go-fast"

Notices

A Mid 50yo PERSPECTIVE on "go-fast"

Old 09-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Gentleman all good points. Lets draw an anology on any given Sunday on any given freeway any given Ferrari, Lamborghini etc can go 150 mph but they don't ( speed limits ) if they did people would die every weekend . Unfortunately they water ways are public venues and open to all . It has to bevup the boat owner to operate his equipment in accordance with the conditions or people will get hurt . We will either figure this out for ourselves or it will be legislated for us . I mean no disrespect to any of the people or to families of those who has passed but no one twisted their arm . Poker runs are not races and that means there is not necessarily the appropriate safety equipment or personal on site andvthe problem some of the boats actually travel faster than most race boats do in a closed course . I don't have the answer but if we stay the course more people will get hurt and big brother will shut it down
RG.

Last edited by Rick G; 09-14-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by PARADOX
I like. Ever heard the term, " the faster I go the behinder I get" ?? I still love the adrenaline some things offers. I still have a "go fast 'looking' boat".. Not that fast, but a lot of joy. Not that I couldn't get something faster, but I love what I got for the reasons I got it. Uniquely different, as I lived my life. There is a time when most, (apparently not all of us)realize that there are other ways to enjoy our toys and do the stuff we like. When I could say I'm 30 something, I thought I was indestructible. Later in life healing is a lot longer duration. Back in 2000 I had a street bike, Katana. Lot's of fun, I been riding since I was 16, consider myself a VERY safe rider on the bike. But. Late Saturday PM, 2000. Going to Sarasota on Alligator Alley, no one in site, visibility for ever, I hit it. Got to 146. Fun exhilarating few minutes. Then while slowing down, I admitted to myself that the bike had more balls than I did. The bike was ready and had more ponies to go faster. I knew that I would wanted to hit 150 the next time I had a chance. A few days later I sold the bike, I bought a sport cruiser, (no way this will hit 146. lol ) and I enjoy it just as much, but I know I will live to tell the story about my trip to the Keys or my fun weekend at Bike Week. Hopefully with age there is some common sense that sinks in . I had some sinking in and I hope some of the "ego jockeys" on the PR circuit will get some too. SOON wild be good.
Stay safe, keep others safe as well and enjoy the boating environment, where ever it might take you.
(just my .02)
When I was 19 I knew I was too stupid/irresponsible for a sport bike so I bought a Harley. 6 years of beating on that and trying every stupid move you could imagine I thought I got it out of my system and bought a gsxr 1000, 3 months later and witnessing the speedo go to 174 on a weekly basis it had to go before I did.
I'm still that stupid.....
Old 09-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Nothing wrong with going fast, just don't be doing 100mph splitting spectator boats 50' apart.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to change the subject, but the GSXR is an awesome bike. ( I looked at it). Then I test drove a BMW and it was all over. THe need for speed doesn't die with age, we just control our need better. Next summer i'm planning a trip to Europe with my kids. Nurburgring is on the hit list. Now here I can be a total goof ball in a controlled, closed track. There is a place and time for being a goof ball. On the PR isn't it. PERIOD.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lakerat1
Jim, I too am getting old and agree !!!
How you doing Richie, I know you know this "live life" thing............I hope it's Richie.

You know, something there area lot of sensible people, thank goodness.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I was in my 20's I thought I was invincible! Street racing till all hours of the night all through the week and on the weekend there was a "switch" on the boat, full throttle or idle... I have had many close calls, some very close. Could've been killed three times. And because of some incidents in boats I have permanent spinal damage. I lived life and wouldn't do it any other way. I don't regret my past but now at 37 I view things different. I got out of cars and street racing. I don't do bikes. And even though I have a fast boat I try to be as safe as possible. Every time out every one in boat has a vest and I have tether. While doing pokerruns I take the very outside line and run what I want to run depending on the conditions. I don't race. If other boats come up on me I wave them by and pull a wider line to get away from them. I still like to have fun though and use the boat for what it was meant for. The deal is I limit it to one or two passengers, make sure I call a few friends and family and give them my "float plan" and have another boat out with me incase I stuff it hard or roll it. Not the perfect scenario but I feel I put safety measures in place so it limits the risk. Life is precious. I want to see my daughter grow and marry, I want to have grandchildren, I want to grow old with the woman I love. But most importantly I want to be able to look back at my time on Earth and smile.

Last edited by POWERPLAY J; 09-14-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

I totally agree. As much as I still get a kick out of wringing my Progression 22 out (upper 70's), I'm much more aware of what could go wrong these days and keep that stuff for the right time and place. I actually get a much bigger kick out of being able to handle my boat (or any boat) in just about any situation. Yesterday for instance I took a local television reporter and camera man out on the marina service boat so they could get some footage of a police investigation on the lake - from a safe distance. I brought them back in and spun the 23' boat around 180 degrees and backed it into the dock - perfectly. The reporter commented "I couldn't park my car that well - and you had a breeze working against you!" Yea, I'll take that. Oh, and I'm 57.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

All I know is that at 50, the more fun I have , the more sore I am the next day......
Old 09-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phragle
All I know is that at 50, the more fun I have , the more sore I am the next day......
Yeah. The partying with strippers till six then being at work at eight stopped three years ago. Just can't keep going and going and going anymore...
Old 09-14-2013, 08:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
Yea, me too, but I appreciate it more now than.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.