Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who has more control (driver v throttle) >

Who has more control (driver v throttle)

Notices

Who has more control (driver v throttle)

Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
No, MY Throttle man doesn't listen!
He doesn't sound like a guy I want to boat with.........................I hope you're kidding.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 314joey
He doesn't sound like a guy I want to boat with.........................I hope you're kidding.
Obviously!
Old 09-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 259 Likes on 92 Posts

kinda depends . . . i mean if your racing and you spin out and flip over . . thats definitely the drivers fault . . . now if you win . . . thats the T man for sure . . . . OOHAM racing!!
Attached Thumbnails Who has more control (driver v throttle)-flip4.jpg  
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 09-16-2013, 02:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,172 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
kinda depends . . . i mean if your racing and you spin out and flip over . . thats definitely the drivers fault . . . now if you win . . . thats the T man for sure . . . . OOHAM racing!!
Quick assessment indicates that boat needs more cup on the props to engage the water a little better.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Racer
Racer

On a race course, I have most of the control in the rough and Marc does most of the work in the calm courses especially when I put him into 130 mph turns and its his fault when we lose, crash or break
Old 09-16-2013, 03:20 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MissGeicoRacing
On a race course, I have most of the control in the rough and Marc does most of the work in the calm courses especially when I put him into 130 mph turns and its his fault when we lose, crash or break
I thought you had auto pilot in that thing?
Old 09-16-2013, 03:52 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Guess I'm a control freak, I want to do both, but I don't want to boat over 100mph either, stay safe guys.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 412 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by LubeJobs42
I do know from personal experience If the throttle man does not slow down quick enough when coming to a reduced speed area, the DRIVER gets the ticket!
That is some funny chit right there!
Old 09-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,049 Likes on 274 Posts

Throttleman....
and that's coming from a driver
Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 314joey
The fastest boat I've ridden in hit the century mark and I wasn't driving, so I admit I've never done any real racing, my questions is when there's both a driver and throttleman who has the most control of the boat when the boat is at extreme speeds, I'm talking in excess of 100+, I know they're both extremely important, but if you were in a boat what would you want to do;

DRIVE

THROTTLE

My opinion is that the Driver/Throttleman combination is inferior to one person doing everything/both driving and throttling. There simply is no substitute for the "seat of the pants".
I've been thinking about it and I'm not sure, because each of you are trusting and taking the others life in his or hers hands, tough question.

Think I'll just stay in my boat that goes mid-70s and be happy.

I raced offshore on and off for 14 years, All canopied boats, Super V Light, Super V, Super Cat. I always throttled.

Also run a pleasure Skater 3 times a week on average, am a multiple Skater pleasure boat Owner with thousands of hours of experience.
Not bragging, just establishing the value of my opinion based upon experience.

I think that the Driver/Throttleman (2 person operation) is inferior in terms of overall control, speeds achieved, and safety in both a racing and pleasure boat environment. There is no substitute for that "seat of the pants" feeling you get when in control of the wheel, and the throttles especially in a turn.

I think this highest and best level of control is achieved with a foot throttle

The only time it (Drive-Throttleman two person operation) worked better for me was when I set a KILO record in Super V light. I held the throttles wide open and just ticked the trim, staring at the GPS the whole time, never looked at the water.

In a 2 person race boat I think one person driving and throttling with a 2nd person as navigator (in canopied boats where field of vision is more limited) is the beset overall setup.

We raced lots of Guys (especially in Supercat) who drove and throttled (one person doing both). They were always fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.