Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Who has more control (driver v throttle) >

Who has more control (driver v throttle)

Notices

Who has more control (driver v throttle)

Old 09-17-2013, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Foot throttles are usless running hard in any kind of big water though. Especially if running against a good two man team.
I agree with everything Randy said above, spot on. A guy driving and throttling cant compete with a good two man team, especially in the ocean. A two man team that is quiet on the intercom, because words arent needed. The driver knows what the throttleman is going to do, and the throttleman knows what the driver is going to do. There is no better feeling than having total confidence in the guy next to you when running hard.
How do you explain Rick Bowling who raced his Talon for years, driving and throttling. Won many many big water races and was always competitive at the top of Supercat fleet. How about Craig Furgeson, Renegade Skater a 2x world Supercat World Champion, driving and throttling. Rod Karnofel, Honker Cut Marine Skater, Driving and Throttling, rough water expert and always competitive won lots of races....

I have run a foot throttle in big water, didn't have a problem with it at all but not everyone likes the same thing.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TYPHOON
I was told by a Fountain race employee (not saying names) that they experimented at there facility with a one man control set up vs a 2 man and that the 2 man set up won every time.They raced 2 exact same set up boats and then switched the controls to the other to have a even test. I was also told that Reggie SR was in the one man set up. Possably Jr. or someone else that was there could shed some light on if this was true.
MD
If they did it on the Pemlico River where their factory used to be located I would highly doubt the two man setup won every time. Just dosent make sense
Old 09-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

It takes 2 hands on the wheel in a turn when running hard. In my opinion, You can't turn the boat, trim and throttle as effectively by yourself as a 2 man team. One race in Marathon, my throttle man couldn't make it so I took a friend with no experience. I drove and throttled which I thought was a good idea. I got my ass handed to me in every turn.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
IMO, whoever is in control of the drive trim and tabs has the most control.
Yes, agreed and if you also have control of the steering wheel you have even more control, possibly complete control which should be the goal.
Old 09-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TeamSaris
Foot throttles are usless running hard in any kind of big water though. Especially if running against a good two man team.
I agree with everything Randy said above, spot on. A guy driving and throttling cant compete with a good two man team, especially in the ocean. A two man team that is quiet on the intercom, because words arent needed. The driver knows what the throttleman is going to do, and the throttleman knows what the driver is going to do. There is no better feeling than having total confidence in the guy next to you when running hard.
And let's all take a breath and remember why two person operation was implemented in the first place. It was invented so that the SUPER WEALTHY OWNER of the boat could have something to do other than sit on the dock and be a cheerleader, and have a job that they probably woudnt screw up too badly with a hired gun throttleman/setup Guy sitting next to them coaching them through it.... just sayin
Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM
Registered

somewhere theres video of Reggie talking about this. think it was at a Fort Myers offshore race back when he was running a red cat with diesels. he was talking about how in most cases its a 2 person operation but he, being Reggie did both. think they blew a motor.
actually I think it was on a tv show about fast boats on Discovery or one of them.
I think some who come from other single operator race boats such as apba inboard or F1 think that its a possibility or better way.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Both have big kahunas to run those speeds to begin with! I've been 102 GPS (not on mine obviously) and that was doable with one person. Two would really be a plus especially like all others said. When in a racing environment i would believe "Two heads are better than one". But I can see where the one person could work as well. As your reactions are connected in a way. Try and having a throttle man and driver in a drift car. Wouldn't work out to well.
Oh but if you not racing and in a poker run you can run 150 all day by yourself for those with big ego's!
Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drive & throttle and my Rev Limiter is in the Port seat yelling instructions..
Sorry, had to say it..
Old 09-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I would think you'd almost have to read you're co-operators mind when dodging through objects (boats) like I've seen in some of these poker run videos, to much speed (or not enough speed) on one side of a boat or another could be bad, real bad.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Jake
I drive & throttle and my Rev Limiter is in the Port seat yelling instructions..
Sorry, had to say it..
I've got one of those too, but her name is Terri.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.