Mercury 700sci vs Ilmor 725 >

Mercury 700sci vs Ilmor 725

Notices

Mercury 700sci vs Ilmor 725

Old 09-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury 700sci vs Ilmor 725

Hi guys, my wife and I are considering buying a 29sv Outerlimits. What would you recommend for power Mercury 700sci or Ilmor 725. Please share your thoughts about your pick.

Thanks, Michael
Old 09-18-2013, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Ilmor 725. Read too many positives about their service.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

From what I know of the SV29 with the merc and the one with the Ilmore. I would go with the Merc. The Ilmore is super cool and they are a great company but the merc just went in and worked. I was in the SV29 with the 700 for Desert Storm and that boat was absolutely amazing. Mike spent a lot of time in that boat with that setup and got it dialed in.

Either way you will be happy.

MP
Old 09-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,815 Likes on 903 Posts

Considering a 525efi will push the boat to 95+ mph, I think I would go with the newer Merc 565 at most.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The acceleration in that boat with the 700 was so much fun. That boat was literally like driving a Ferrari.

Yes a top speed of 95 is great but 110 is better LOL

MP
Old 09-18-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Both a great motors. The ilmor is a sweet motor and light weight with great customer service and no blower to worry about. The merc on the other hand can be serviced at more places and what I find most important is the fact a quick pulley change and reflash and the merc can make much more power. If you select a drive that can take it.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Registered

Ive ridden in the 29sv with the 600 sci and it was a great handling boat. Ilmors are sweet but you can play with and tune the Mercs. Btw the 29 with the 600sci is for sale used through Pbc
Old 09-18-2013, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm obviously an ILMOR fan for obvious reasons but you also can't ignore the superior trans / drive package in comparison to the cone clutch NXT. You certainly can opt for a #6 to compete w/ the ILMOR pkg but I don't think the Merc pkg will be as competitively priced.

As the others have mentioned weight savings, no blower, fuel efficiency, service & support after that it's simply personal preference. You won't go wrong if you go ILMOR & you definitely will be a priority customer should you have any service needs.

Last edited by NASCAT; 09-19-2013 at 07:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:10 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 700's work well, had them in a 38 Fountain, they are upgradable, Whipple has multiple packages should you get bored and want more power. As Said the NXT Transmission, was the weak link in that package, although I never experienced problems with mine. They were a awesome trouble free package. Their is the header issue with the CMI's leaking. Not sure if Mercury upgraded the headers or they are still saying their is no problem with them. Do a search, plenty of disappointed 700 owners with broken motors due to header leaks.
Mercury 700's also have that annoying Torque Management System programed into them. When you push the throttles from an idle to get on plan, the motors do not spool up like a normal motor they take their time and eventually reach the rpms you are trying to get too. Maybe on a smaller lighter boat it wouldn't be as much as a problem, but on a bigger boat loaded down with fuel and people, spinning big props, they were a pain in the butt. Mercury programed that in the ECM's to protect something, the transmission I suspect. It only effects the motors from an idle, below a certain rpm, once up and running the acceleration from those blower motors was a real rush. Dustin Whipple has a fix for that also, If you chose to go that route.
Don't know much about Ilmor except what I read, seem to be a great package also. I do like the fact they are N/A and don't use a blower, less to worry about. No header problem that I have heard of. Their isn't too much you can do to them to upgrade them If you want more power at some point Ilmors drive package seems solid. I always wondered about Ilmors service, their are Mercury dealers at every marina almost, not a lot of Ilmors dealers around, not nocking their product just thinking out loud. Then again, a lot of the Mercury dealers haven't got a clue about Mercurys Blue motors when they see them.
Lastly, don't know if its a consideration or not, but most Insurance Company's set insurance rates by speed and hull value, a few don't like the words boats and blowers in the same sentence, you might check on that also. If everything else is even you maybe save a few bucks on insurance with the N/A motor.
Mike builds a beautiful boat, I am sure you will be happy with what ever you choose. Good Luck.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 09-19-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

+1
Originally Posted by Beak Boater
The 700's work well, had them in a 38 Fountain, they are upgradable, Whipple has multiple packages should you get bored and want more power. As Said the NXT Transmission, was the weak link in that package, although I never experienced problems with mine. They were a awesome trouble free package. Their is the header issue with the CMI's leaking. Not sure if Mercury upgraded the headers or they are still saying their is no problem with them. Do a search, plenty of disappointed 700 owners with broken motors due to header leaks.
Mercury 700's also have that annoying Torque Management System programed into them. When you push the throttles from an idle to get on plan, the motors do not spool up like a normal motor they take their time and eventually reach the rpms you are trying to get too. Maybe on a smaller lighter boat it wouldn't be as much as a problem, but on a bigger boat loaded down with fuel and people, spinning big props, they were a pain in the butt. Mercury programed that in the ECM's to protect something, the transmission I suspect. It only effects the motors from an idle, below a certain rpm, once up and running the acceleration from those blower motors was a real rush. Dustin Whipple has a fix for that also, If you chose to go that route.
Don't know much about Ilmor except what I read, seem to be a great package also. I do like the fact they are N/A and don't use a blower, less to worry about. No header problem that I have heard of. Their isn't too much you can do to them to upgrade them If you want more power at some point Ilmors drive package seems solid. I always wondered about Ilmors service, their are Mercury dealers at every marina almost, not a lot of Ilmors dealers around, not nocking their product just thinking out loud. Then again, a lot of the Mercury dealers haven't got a clue about Mercurys Blue motors when they see them.
Lastly, don't know if its a consideration or not, but most Insurance Company's set insurance rates by speed and hull value, a few don't like the words boats and blowers in the same sentence, you might check on that also. If everything else is even you maybe save a few bucks on insurance with the N/A motor.
Mike builds a beautiful boat, I am sure you will be happy with what ever you choose. Good Luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.